ahosey01

Favorite genus?

PalmCode

Rhopalistylis was the reason I got into in to the palm tree hobby as a kid. Such an iconic tree here really. But my favorite now is the Hedyscepe.  It resembles Rhopalistylis but it has the waxy white crownshaft and recurved fronds.

• Like 2

RyManUtah

Just one?
Probably Brahea:

Ornamental, extremely sun tolerant, and nearly thrives on neglect. Great for hot (dry) climates that also get really cold. 

• Like 3

sonoranfans

I like what I can grow into a happy palm and its beauty in various lighting conditions all day.   I don't care about rarity much, more appearance.  I can grow cuban copernicias and they look mesmerizing at dawn or in late day sun where they glow.   But they look best when viewed against the sky in full sunlight position as in habitat.  If they had to be shaded I would pick another genus as their color and "glow" depends on sunlight and its hard to fully appreciate the "moire pattern" of leaves/leaflets against a vegetation background that blots out the sky.  I really enjoy my crownshafted palms but they just dont "glow".  I hate to be limited to one genus, but if I was it would be a variety of blue and green copernicas.  

• Like 2

ahosey01
2 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

Just one?
Probably Brahea:

Ornamental, extremely sun tolerant, and nearly thrives on neglect. Great for hot (dry) climates that also get really cold. 

Yeah, this genus really is probably perfect for where you're at.

Butia/Sabal are up there in terms of sun and cold tolerance, but lose to Brahea in your conditions when water requirements are considered.

• Like 1

climate change virginia

I love phoenix, sabal, trachycarpus, butia, syagrus, bismarkia, and cocos

Edited by climate change virginia

PalmatierMeg
On 1/2/2021 at 3:01 PM, Darold Petty said:

Hedyscepe.........Recurved and keeled fronds, crownshaft, self-cleaning fronds,  but not so heavy as to cause damage, most beautiful blue-green trunk, huge, bright red seeds. 

Downside ?   can be erratic grower, (might or might not grow for you),  slow growing, occasionally subject to root pathogens, requires regular moisture

IMG_2251.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

Darold, your Geonoma undata is an absolute winner for you in SF. All Geonomas are total no-grows for me

Tracy

Reading through the posts, it appears that favorite genus corresponds closely with what might be considered a zone push for one's region or something that others would have difficulty growing compared to the authors climate.  While I can pick a favorite genus one day, it might not be the same genus the next.  Mine won't be from a genus that I can't grow, even though I appreciate palms that I can't grow.  Today might be Dypsis for is deluge of diversity in size, colors, leaf structure, and growth habit (solitary, splitting, clumping).  Tomorrow might be Copernicia for its many formally structured stiff bladed specimens.  On another day it might be Licuala, but one thing is for sure, my choice will not remain static.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

My favorite genus at this time, subject to change at my whim: Areca

Some species I've failed at: macrocarpa and vestiaria. Most are nie on impossible to find.

Then I come back to Areca catechu and its dwarfs

442627511_Arecacatechudwarfwestsideyard0110-15-20.thumb.JPG.7c6716b27b966b4ba5e1e66c5610ae31.JPG

• Like 6

It’s hotter than hell here but we can grow a tropical looking palm that is crownshafted it would have to be roystonea 

Fallen Munk

Jubaea.  I hear that it's girth that counts.

• Like 2

Palm D

Gotta be Jubaea.  One and done!

• Like 2

waykoolplantz

dont be a Tahnie Wenniee

935D4BAA-6123-4228-85C8-62E540980368.jpeg

• Like 12

John hovancsek

Here is today’s favorite pinanga disticha batwing or mane stain glass. It was given to me by a friend 

95427948-DDB0-4A35-A7F6-31015961A093.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1