IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Arenga engleri tall type

DoomsDave

I’ve talked about this and my new good neighbors took down some trees in their yard that obstructed the view of this specimen in all its glory.

And what glory, to me anyway.

7A6BFE83-DA94-4CBA-934D-2B55D0039533.thumb.jpeg.2de830c437f9d5279b2d8b037570eb4a.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

22 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I’ve talked about this and my new good neighbors took down some trees in their yard that obstructed the view of this specimen in all its glory.

And what glory, to me anyway.

7A6BFE83-DA94-4CBA-934D-2B55D0039533.thumb.jpeg.2de830c437f9d5279b2d8b037570eb4a.jpeg

Need this for my yard!! :)

2 hours ago, NickJames said:

Need this for my yard!! :)

I have some 

But I’ll bet someone near you does too

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So what makes this one a "tall type?"  I've seen some mature ones at Leu Gardens and Fairchild Botanical Center, and at a place in Sanford called Land Technologies.  They definitely varied in overall size and shape, but until I saw you say "tall type" a couple of days ago I didn't know there were any actual differences between them.  I figured it was just pruning or sun/shade.  For example, here are two of mine, bought from PT member ChuckG.  Both were very pot-bound and are just finally growing out a full new set of fronds.  The left one has fairly broad and short leaves.  The right one I suspect is actually Arenga Tremula, since it took noticeable damage at 28F with frost, and it has paired leaflets.

570727971_P1070191ArengaEngleriTremula.thumb.JPG.00e75447cb027f5d5edc1c518cfdf4f0.JPG

Here's a somewhat awkward view of the Tremula-ish one showing the oddly paired leaflets and frost damage:

931228093_P1070194ArengaTremula.thumb.JPG.4e3c6354f137ea49c2a61f4008176f08.JPG

And here's one at Leu Gardens in a spot shaded until around 3pm labeled just "Arenga Engleri":

981838133_20181121_142658ArengaEngleri.thumb.jpg.ec0e3323bd5ea06d80b15231ffe55674.jpg

Another one at Leu Gardens labeled "Arenga Engleri (Okinawa form) "

2038723917_ArengaEngleriOkinawa.thumb.jpg.c8e302f8ac38ef9053c07f55e42057e3.jpg

And another Leu Gardens in full shade labeled "Arenga Ryukyuensis"

744448510_ArengaEngleriRyukyuensis.thumb.jpg.ff9646ddf402b56d3e6241342ea0d479.jpg

Here's some pics of my A. Engleri here in the Daytona Beach area .  I needed to thin out a lot of the older stems , that had gone into

bloom and were nearing the end .    Messy looking , and it needed a haircut .

This palm is growing under a high oak canopy .  If grown in the open , they will not become this tall .   Canopy is good .  High canopy very good .

There's a fair number of old Engleri's around the area in various placements .    Most have been frozen all the way back , during various freezes , but

they come back well from the stump(s) .   A  before and after , plus the trimmings .

IMG_1274.jpeg

IMG_1271.jpeg

IMG_1257.jpeg

IMG_1247.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Hi,

yes they can get pretty tall over here...

ae01.jpg.b60d0c5c459436d350a8fae0669baba2.jpg

with me as scale...

ae02.thumb.jpg.c20a28e0ccd19d3bfd07d0e18247b40e.jpg

My favorite place to look at them - a ravine on our smaller neighbor island Kurima. The thick boscage

and a mountain-like lime stone on both side is definitely favoring their growth.

Two more images...

ae03.thumb.jpg.a401a0a3d44fb342a2f2f82eb95e1c75.jpg

ae04.thumb.jpg.071d48ccef4149bf2a9d9b21a1f79c83.jpg

Just beautiful!

Dave, no hijacking intended!

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, palmfriend said:

Hi,

yes they can get pretty tall over here...

ae01.jpg.b60d0c5c459436d350a8fae0669baba2.jpg

with me as scale...

ae02.thumb.jpg.c20a28e0ccd19d3bfd07d0e18247b40e.jpg

My favorite place to look at them - a ravine on our smaller neighbor island Kurima. The thick boscage

and a mountain-like lime stone on both side is definitely favoring their growth.

Two more images...

ae03.thumb.jpg.a401a0a3d44fb342a2f2f82eb95e1c75.jpg

ae04.thumb.jpg.071d48ccef4149bf2a9d9b21a1f79c83.jpg

Just beautiful!

Dave, no hijacking intended!

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

You perfectly show how adaptable they are and how they change in different climates!

• Like 2

A bit of history: the specimen pictured was planted in the early 2000s as a nice 7 gallon, right near some short form specimens. 

It laughed at the big freeze of 2007.

I dug and moved its neighbor, behind and out of sight, from the backyard to its present location in about 2010.

It has been flowering and seeding for years; since it was buried among other plants you really didn’t notice it till it bloomed.

This Palm has so many nicknames!

• Like 1

Beautiful, Dave....one of my favourite palms. The cold hardiness is an especially attractive trait to have in any plant - let alone a palm. Also it's shade tolerance - also very useful.

Used some once on a property to provide privacy. Check out these 15 gallon monsters......

IMG_5553.JPG

IMG_5560.JPG

IMG_5558.JPG

IMG_5569.JPG

Edited by Bazza
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

On 1/1/2021 at 10:08 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Looking good Dave !!! I hope your neighbors are into palms too :interesting:

Trying to push them, but so far, no luck.

• Like 2

Here's a pair I pass regularly in Fulshear TX.  They look to be in full sun with pretty minimal scorch whereas mine get pretty toasty looking in full sun.  Judging by their placement I'd have to guess they were planted at the same time, however one is noticably larger.

20210107_142850.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/7/2021 at 9:42 PM, Keys6505 said:

Here's a pair I pass regularly in Fulshear TX.  They look to be in full sun with pretty minimal scorch whereas mine get pretty toasty looking in full sun.  Judging by their placement I'd have to guess they were planted at the same time, however one is noticably larger.

I assume you are talking about the two in front, flanking the driveway?  Those look like Phoenix Dactylifera, or a Dacty hybrid.  I have a similarly-sized Phoenix Reclinata clump, I don't envy the house owner when it comes time to prune old dead fronds.  Stabby, stabby, stabby!!!  :D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Merlyn said:

I assume you are talking about the two in front, flanking the driveway?  Those look like Phoenix Dactylifera, or a Dacty hybrid.  I have a similarly-sized Phoenix Reclinata clump, I don't envy the house owner when it comes time to prune old dead fronds.  Stabby, stabby, stabby!!!  :D

Agree....those are Phoenix....not Arenga.......

Here is one in my backyard in Houston Texas. I don't have a recent photo but here it is from about ten years ago. Probably about 50% large today.

Arenga_engleri.thumb.jpg.42b5506a6f5aa62844b14d8778f80309.jpg

Ed in Houston

• Like 3

@Ed in Houston that's a stunner! Good to hear it survived the freezes of the last decade. I learned the hard way that these need overhead protection here.

How are your other zone pushes going? Any noteworthy survivors?