IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cordyline?

DAVEinMB

On 2/11/2021 at 11:39 PM, Jonah B said:

Thanks! I love it! I started putting outdoors to get morning sun not sure if it’s helping as I feel the bottom leaves are bending a bit downwards now be upright when I first bought it. Also showing some brown tips.  Not sure if this is normal or if I’m under/overwatering. I water at least once a week. Any tips on how to let it grow taller and thrive? Also what size pot did you start with and what size pot is in it now? I’d like to see what yours look like now :)

Hi Jonah B, here are the pics not the best since my greenhouse is pack full.  Container is from Lowes. 16" wide by 21" tall. BTW "coral" only grows to 5' tall, not taller.  Sorry couldn't get a better shot.

Some times the leaves naturally curve down, nothing to worry about.

brow tips can be to much salt, to dry, to much chlorine in water, if it water try letting the water sit for 24 hrs. then water. 

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Edited by Paradise Found
more to add
  • Like 1

I'm not sure which variety this one is since there were some already planted when I bought the house.  I may have transplanted one, but don't recall.  My experience has been that a single stalk will flower followed by it either branching and/or putting out new offshoots at the base.  These are in part shade, but there was one in my front that handled full sun.  The gutter downspout dumps out right into the planter where the one between the house and garage is located so it gets plenty of water even when we are not getting rain due to roof condensation overnight in the coastal zone. 

20210218-BH3I2738.jpg

20210218-BH3I2739.jpg

20210218-BH3I2745.jpg

20210218-BH3I2743.jpg

• Like 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Nice! thanks for explaining that flowering makes them split and produces sucker.  After a cold spell they can do the same thing.

Any idea how old that one is? I have one out front that the roots are 26 years old, planted in 2004.  It has died back three times and hasn't bloom in a while.  And another one that was grow from seed from the mother plant out front that is really tall. I'll try and get some pics today. 

Edited by Paradise Found

1 hour ago, Paradise Found said:

Nice! thanks for explaining that flowering makes them split and produces sucker.  After a cold spell they can do the same thing.

Any idea how old that one is? I have one out front that the roots are 26 years old, planted in 2004.  It has died back three times and hasn't bloom in a while.  And another one that was grow from seed from the mother plant out front that is really tall. I'll try and get some pics today. 

Here are a few of my cordylines. I cut back the coral to get it to split and grow a couple of new ones. The small one in the greenhouse is 'Zumba" z9a. Variegated one is "Torbay Dazzler".

IMG-0071.jpg

IMG-0073.jpg

IMG-0076.jpg

IMG-0078.jpg

IMG-0080.jpg

IMG-0081.jpg

IMG-0084.jpg

IMG-0085.jpg

IMG-0088.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tracy said:

20210218-BH3I2738.jpg

20210218-BH3I2739.jpg

2 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Any idea how old that one is?

Both were planted by the previous owner and looked to be fairly new plantings when I bought the house in 2010.  So probably about 11 years in the ground here.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

So the tops of my Cordylines were frozen. We got down to 14-16 two nights in a row. The lower stems still seem firm. Should I cut back to firm tissue or just leave them be?

39 minutes ago, necturus said:

So the tops of my Cordylines were frozen. We got down to 14-16 two nights in a row. The lower stems still seem firm. Should I cut back to firm tissue or just leave them be?

How tall are they? How long was the cold spell?

Edited by Paradise Found

16 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

How tall are they? How long was the cold spell?

At those temps they might just grow into two spikes on top, but I would wait and see, If the top is dead you will know in awhile cause they will bend over, in that case cut back to solid trunk. You will for sure get suckers! Also if these are smallish cordyline they will die back to the ground, and will regrow with many new suckers at the base. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, necturus said:

We were below freezing from Sunday evening to Tuesday afternoon. The tops are bending over. I'll cut them back this weekend.

One more thing, keep an eye on the whole trunk to make sure there's no secondary damage it may not show up till April.... 14f-15f degrees will kill them to the ground.  Good luck!

Can anyone identify this one for me? When I bought it, it was just labelled as a "Hawaiian Ti Plant" in a 4" pot. Leaves are kind of a plum shade of purple with hints of green in the light. 

Message_1613881163277.jpg

10 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Can anyone identify this one for me? When I bought it, it was just labelled as a "Hawaiian Ti Plant" in a 4" pot. Leaves are kind of a plum shade of purple with hints of green in the light. 

Looks like Cordyline australis 'Red Sensation' imo. These were really popular in the Houston Area about 10 years ago but they usually seem to peter out in the landscape. I don't think they like our summers. The real "Hawaiian ti plant", Cordyline fruticosa, does much better and grows straight through mild winters. 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)