Sign in to follow this  
Tracy

Sprouting Dypsis prestonaiana seeds

Tracy

I was curious how long it takes to sprout Dypsis prestoniana seeds using the baggy method.  I did the float test, cleaned a bunch of sinkers, used a little bit of hydrogen peroxide to give them a final cleaning and then put them in baggies with some moist sphagnum moss I have for mounting orchids.  I'm sure someone can weigh in regarding their experience and timeline on sprouting this species.  I started those baggies on 12/1/2020.  This evening I did the same with about 50 Dypsis heteromorpha seeds so would be curious about others experience on timeline and yield for them as well.

20201222-BH3I2089.jpg

John hovancsek

In about 4-5weeks if they are fresh. I was collecting dypsis carlsmithii seeds at florabunda about a month ago and today the rest of the seeds that fell on the ground were sprouting.

Fusca
16 minutes ago, Tracy said:

I was curious how long it takes to sprout Dypsis prestoniana seeds using the baggy method.  I did the float test, cleaned a bunch of sinkers, used a little bit of hydrogen peroxide to give them a final cleaning and then put them in baggies with some moist sphagnum moss I have for mounting orchids.  I'm sure someone can weigh in regarding their experience and timeline on sprouting this species.

Tracy, I just potted up several sprouted prestoniana seeds today.  Nice timing for this post!  I also used the baggie method with moist sphagnum moss using a heat mat set at 95° - first time trying this species.  Took about 6 weeks for mine to pop and about 50% success so far.  I gave them a week or two after germination to get some decent roots going before potting them up.  Interestingly the one with the tallest leaf has the least amount of roots so I left it in the baggie for additional time.

• Like 1

Josh-O

it will sprout in a ton of ways Baggie, community pots, seed flats etc. its very easy. The best way is community pot on a heat mat IMO.

• Like 1

Tracy
10 hours ago, Josh-O said:

it will sprout in a ton of ways Baggie, community pots, seed flats etc. its very easy. The best way is community pot on a heat mat IMO.

Thanks Josh.  I'm too lazy to allocate space for a heat mat, so just have them on a bookshelf in my office.  It is primarily for fun to see if they sprout, I'm not planning to go into the nursery business.  What about experience with Dypsis heteromorpha seeds, similar timeline?

Josh-O
On 12/31/2020 at 10:29 AM, Tracy said:

Thanks Josh.  I'm too lazy to allocate space for a heat mat, so just have them on a bookshelf in my office.  It is primarily for fun to see if they sprout, I'm not planning to go into the nursery business.  What about experience with Dypsis heteromorpha seeds, similar timeline?

heteromorpha seeds are very easy to sprout.with heat they pop in just a few short weeks. baggie method works great on those as well. if you have a warm spot on your water heater I would wrap up a sealed baggie with foil on the outside and place on top of the water heater. The foil acts as a conductor giving even heat distribution.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I pulled some of the purple seeds off my Burretiokentia hapala, cleaned them and dropped them in a zip lock baggy with some damp perlite and sphagnum moss.  I'm using a little heat, wrapping the bag in foil and leaving it on top of my water heater).  I'm curious what typical sprouting time is on this species if anyone has used this technique with this species. 

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have for sale One Lot of 150+ fresh, cleaned Dypsis lanceolate seeds.
      https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_lanceolata

Dypsis lanceolata fresh seeds: $20.00 for the Lot     
      Shipping = $6.00          No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested. Give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Photos

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      A week ago I went back to the palm park near the former railroad museum in downtown Fort Myers. The seeds I was hoping to harvest were still green but to my amazement I found ripe seeds on a plaque Coccothrinax crinita I have been following for years. In the past someone had always stripped then palm of all its seeds and indeed someone had snatched the low hanging fruit this time but my husband noticed an infructescence of purple seeds high up in the crown. He was able to cut it down with his long loppers. The cleaned seeds are smaller than the ones I found at NBG but have the same "lumpy" appearance. I also have several 100s of seeds rather than just 100 so more to pass around.
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Coccothrinax_crinita
      Coccothrinax crinita fresh seeds: 50 @ $10.00 for the lot
                                                          100 @ $15.00 for the lot
      Shipping = $6.00        No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal

PM me if you are interested. Tell me how many seeds you want and I will respond with a quote. Give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Photos

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have ~56 seeds from a Syagrus stenopetala I found in Naples Botanical Garden this past Sunday. This palm is very rare in cultivation and not a lot is known about it. I am attaching a couple of links about itincluding one from Palmpedia. The photo on the far right in that link is the mother palm of these seeds. Seeds are quite large: nearly 2" long and 1" wide. I have cleaned and dried them, a very labor intensive chore involving a bucket, a power drill and a brush attachment on a long shank, then pulling off fibers by hand.
      https://www.monaconatureencyclopedia.com/syagrus-stenopetala/?lang=en
      https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Syagrus_stenopetala
      Syagrus stenopetala Seeds: $0.75 each                 Minimum Purchase = 10 ($7.50)

Shipping = $6.00            No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested. Tell me how many seeds you want and I will respond with a quote. Give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. When you pay, tell me.
      Photos
      Seeds

Mother Palm in NBG, 08/2021
      \
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have just over 110+ seeds of this choice, desirable Coccothrinax, aka the Old Man Palm from Cuba. I collected them from the ground last Sunday during a visit to Naples Botanical Garden. They are the real deal as there were no other Coccothrinax in that part of the Garden. These are the second lot of C. crinita crinita seeds I have seen and they are quite large, the largest Coccothrinax sp seeds I have ever known. C. crinita crinita seeds are difficult to find as they are almost always stripped from the palms by collectors almost before they are ripe. I have cleaned/dried them and they are ready to go and grow. See link below:
      https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/FP133
      https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Coccothrinax_crinita
      Seeds for sale in 2 lots of 55+ seeds or 1 lot of 110+ seeds:
      Coccothrinax crinita crinita Seeds: Two lots of 55+ @ $20.00 per lot
                           OR
      Coccothrinax crinita crinita Seeds: One lot of 110+ seeds @ $35.00 per lot
      Shipping = $6.00            No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI

Payment via Paypal
      Photos
      Seeds

Mother Palm at NBG, 8/2021