tjwalters

Rhapidophyllum hystrix

tjwalters

A few pictures of my second largest needle palm growing in MD, z7a on the northwest corner of the garage.  Planted as a small palm about 12 years ago.

R.hystrix.20201213-01.jpg

In the past my largest needle has produced many viable seeds, but in recent years my needles have been producing only male flowers.  This year this palm has produced a few seeds.  Note the old male flowers around the fruits.  Most folks think needles are either male or female, but they can produce male, female and hermaphroditic flowers on the same plant.

R.hystrix.Seeds.20201213-01.jpg

R.hystrix.Seeds.20201213-02.jpg

• Upvote 3

PalmatierMeg

I was thinking about your great needle palms up in Bowie and wondering how they've done over the years. They look great as ever.

I still plan to get photos of the mutant African oil palm. I'm recovering from a sprained ankle and my husband is out and doesn't want me clamoring around the yard by myself.

• Like 1

Patrick

Some of the more enjoyable palms in my yard are the tough ones that just "keep on truckin". Mine is starting to get some decent size on it- albeit slow; but the leaves don't get beat up. It's never  looked ratty; it's just a solid palm with steady growth and always looks good.

Well done!

• Like 1

tjwalters
2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I was thinking about your great needle palms up in Bowie and wondering how they've done over the years. They look great as ever.

I still plan to get photos of the mutant African oil palm. I'm recovering from a sprained ankle and my husband is out and doesn't want me clamoring around the yard by myself.

No worries on the photos.  I had to pull a smaller needle out over the summer and pot it up because voles were destroying it.  They also got 5 of my Sabal minor palms before I noticed.  I dug and treated the soil around those and surprisingly all of them came back.  I guess the growing points were deep enough that the voles didn't get to them.

Fusca
15 hours ago, tjwalters said:

Most folks think needles are either male or female, but they can produce male, female and hermaphroditic flowers on the same plant.

Tom, are the seeds easy to germinate?  I collected seeds from a local needle years ago and wondered if I simply failed or if the seeds were not pollinated.  It came from a single palm with no other needles around.  I remember reading some suggestions (from Dick Douglas I think) regarding cold stratification which I followed, but still had no luck.  

Jon

tjwalters
2 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Tom, are the seeds easy to germinate?  I collected seeds from a local needle years ago and wondered if I simply failed or if the seeds were not pollinated.  It came from a single palm with no other needles around.  I remember reading some suggestions (from Dick Douglas I think) regarding cold stratification which I followed, but still had no luck.  

Jon

Not easy, but I developed a method that seems to work quite well.  Posted on my web site: Rapid Germination of Rhapidophyllum hystrix.

• Upvote 1

Fusca
15 minutes ago, tjwalters said:

Not easy, but I developed a method that seems to work quite well.  Posted on my web site: Rapid Germination of Rhapidophyllum hystrix.

Yes, I remember reading this too!  I believe you posted these steps in a previous post.  I did crack the shell on them.

• Like 1