IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Virginia In-Ground Archontophoenix cunninghamiana

PalmTreeDude

I germinated this Archontophoenix cunninghamiana summer of 2019, and I stuck it in the ground this past spring. I have been wanting to try one with protection just because I thought it would be to have a zone 9b+ palm in a borderlines 7a/7b area. So here it is, my Archontophoenix cunninghamiana with a heating cable just thrown around it covered by an old sheet and a tarp in Central Virginia. I chose this species because I not only like how it looks but because I know they can handle cooler conditions, which is perfect for inside of the protection. I open the bottom flaps to let light in and to give it ventilation during warmer days. It is actually growing inside of the protection too. One day about a month ago I left it uncovered and it got down to 30°F briefly, which burnt some of the fronds and the spear quite a bit. I’ll post updates. 

74E31FC5-1B27-4C30-88A9-A9D11157FAFF.jpeg

1C253DA5-E37C-4490-A86F-9FF7E46B3FB0.jpeg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 3

PalmTreeDude

6 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I germinated this Archontophoenix cunninghamiana summer of 2019, and I stuck it in the ground this past spring. I have been wanting to try one with protection just because I thought it would be to have a zone 9b+ palm in a borderlines 7a/7b area. So here it is, my Archontophoenix cunninghamiana with a heating cable just thrown around it covered by an old sheet and a tarp in Central Virginia. I chose this species because I not only like how it looks but because I know they can handle cooler conditions, which is perfect for inside of the protection. I open the bottom flaps to let light in and to give it ventilation during warmer days. It is actually growing inside of the protection too. One day about a month ago I left it uncovered and it got down to 30°F briefly, which burnt some of the fronds and the spear quite a bit. I’ll post updates. 

Wrap the palm alongside this protection, then you'll be fine. Ill do the same thing for Washingtonia Filibusta once I get seed of it.

Nothing to say here. 

On 12/29/2020 at 3:06 PM, PalmTreeDude said:

Is that a short variety that can be easily protected as it gets older?

19 hours ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

Wrap the palm alongside this protection, then you'll be fine. Ill do the same thing for Washingtonia Filibusta once I get seed of 

3 minutes ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Sorry...should have looked it up first...this is a tall one...what are your thoughts as it gets taller?

3 minutes ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Nice man!  Ha!

Your issue is going to be that these grow explosively fast...nothing faster to go vertical in my yard (these and Queens, anyway.)

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

do you have any pictures of it without protection?

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

All the best, intrigued to see how you get on with it. I have them growing in pots and definitely pretty fast growing outside. 

what are your winters like out of interest?

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, SeanK said:

Have you considered soil temps?

Yes, I try to keep the soil directly around the palm from freezing in the winter. 

5 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

I love that $#!+

Zone pushing!:greenthumb:

Thanks! This is some big zone pushing! 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Update 6/5/2022 

D28B7B25-12C8-4950-9B38-3843263C76DC.jpeg

Wow…awesome! Nice job…thanks for the follow up…that’s exciting stuff there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Update 6/5/2022

Very nice!  :greenthumb:  What kind of sun exposure does it get?

Here is my 'Illawara' variety on the east side of my house.

IMG_20220605_161140.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1

Jon Sunder

On 6/5/2022 at 5:08 PM, Fusca said:

Very nice!  :greenthumb:  What kind of sun exposure does it get?

Here is my 'Illawara' variety on the east side of my house.

IMG_20220605_161140.jpg

Thanks! It gets full sun from about 10 AM until 3 PM during the summer. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

• 1 year later...