IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Worst weather ever recorded

Nigel

The metoffice today confirmed what a lot of us in the UK already knew.

2007 is the worst summer ( 2/3rds in) ever recorded in 250 years.

Much of the country under floods.

Zero heat, in Bristol not one day has reached 25C.

Almost no sunshine.

Apparently people are falling ill to a new illness related to SAD.

They are calling it SWISS, summertime winter induced symptoms syndrome . Theres a lot of it about !

Global warming is not what we thought it would be here ! 18 months without a summer is a long long time.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Here too, in Brittany, it's very wet and grey, it's very depressing. The worst are the mornings when you wake up and the sky is grey and it's raining. Day after day, for three months now! it rains, not as heavy as in UK, no flooding, but still very sad. I talked to some very old people here and they say they never saw such weather that last for so long. What is incredible is that it comes after the mildest winter ever and the hottest april ever. In fact our summer was in april! today was very windy 100KM/60Miles/hour with some drizzle, you said july?. I'm fed up!

Z9b, Crozon peninsula, Brittany, the far west region of France

I'm not enjoying it at all.  Although we have not had flooding to any major extent locally, that is mainly due to local geography, there has certainly been plenty of rain.  This combined with an absence of sun and heat, as well as frequently windy conditions, is really unpleasant.  We are seeing some days where the daytime temperature only reaches about 14°C/57°F.  Our hottest day so far this year was in April, with a recorded temperature of 25°C/77°F, with the hottest day in July so far being only 22°C/72°F.

For the most part the clouds have kept the night time temperatures at or slightly above average for the time of year, but this is little consolation as the absence of daytime heat is allowing only very slow growth for my outside collection.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

It's a cruel Mother Nature this year  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(Neofolis @ Jul. 26 2007,18:39)

Our hottest day so far this year was in April, with a recorded temperature of 25°C/77°F, with the hottest day in July so far being only 22°C/72°F.

Corey, my day of `summer` was also in April at 24C.

I reckon I have had just 6 days above 20C all year. Its unbelievable. The forecast is saying 2 of the next 5 will climb just above 20C .... I keep looking at the forecast expecting it to disappear.

Resident in Bristol UK.

(happ @ Jul. 26 2007,20:37)

It's a cruel Mother Nature this year  :o

Happ,

I would say that Mother Nature could always be seen as cruel, whether humans are comfortable or not is of little concern to her.  We actually had a cold front come through here today.  The temperature dropped to a little below 30 C, it rained heavily and drizzled a while.  Then the sun came out and it returned to Southern Hemisphere Equatorial Winter, better known as summer around here.

Here is a picture of the current afternoon weather as seen from the back of my house.  I thought you folks across the ocean and the equator might like some sun.

FridayAfternoonby.jpg

Here is a snap shot of the weather at the moment.  The weather may never change much.  But, at least you never have to wear a jacket, and you never run the risk of getting the SWISS effect mentioned above.  It is relatively cool today.  It got to 37 C on Wednesday.

Current Weather Conditions

Eduardo Gomes International, Brazil

(SBEG) 03-02S 060-03W

Conditions at

2007.07.27 2000 UTC

Wind from the NW (310 degrees) at 5 MPH (4 KT)

Visibility greater than 7 mile(s)

Sky conditions partly cloudy

Temperature 84 F (29 C)

Dew Point 69 F (21 C)

Relative Humidity 62%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.85 in. Hg (1011 hPa)

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Zonal envy is alive and well.  Dont you worry about that !

Not only can we now envy those in zones where you can grow Cyrtostachys

But we envy those for whom the sun shines even a little each day !

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Chris,

The sun has always been more important to me than the temperature.  I was raised in a rather brutal climate on the east side of the Rocky Mountains close to Canada.  Even at mius 40 C the sun would shine.  When ever I went to the Pacific Northwest, around Seattle, I always got depressed.  Even though it never got real cold.  I guess it is what one is used to.  Most tropical climates don't have much constant cloudy weather, which is one of the things I enjoy.  

We got the second part of the cold front about 3 AM with a real nasty rain storm.  But, the sun is out now.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Yeah, is very abd weather in england this year ... oke we have here a lot of rain but also a lot of sun ... and the tempeture's are not high but we have got a lot of day's above the 20C ... or around the 20C en we have got 1 day so far it was 30C and one day it was almost 29.8C ... also april a lot of tempeture's around the 25-30C ...

The weather forecast for next week .. is a little dip on sunday and tuesday with 18-20C and from then the rain dissapear, sun is coming and tempeture's around the 23-25C the long forecast give us a little hope on summer with tempetures higher then 25C but that is too far ... :(

Good luck over there ...

Robbin

Southwest

(amazondk @ Jul. 27 2007,16:27)

I thought you folks across the ocean and the equator might like some sun.

Thanks for the ray of sun Don.

Dont worry I will get my sunshine, although it seems I will have to wait until december when I return to Brazil.

Resident in Bristol UK.

(Nigel @ Jul. 28 2007,15:12)

(amazondk @ Jul. 27 2007,16:27)

I thought you folks across the ocean and the equator might like some sun.

Thanks for the ray of sun Don.

Dont worry I will get my sunshine, although it seems I will have to wait until december when I return to Brazil.

Meanwhile Nigel,  try not to get too depressed.

I lived in the rural UK and I know how depressing the winter can be.   Summer in the UK was a time to be cherished and can be sublime .

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Sounds too much like winter in Cleveland . . . .

Sigh.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Global warming is not what we thought it would be here !

Alas, global warming is the cause, but climate change is the unfortunate effect.

Here's hoping your summer returns!

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

I believe that the Russians are still saying that we are entering into a period of gobal cooling.  One season is too short a period to tell  But, who knows maybe they are right.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Global warming doesn't mean everywhere will get warmer.  Some places may be cooler or wetter or drier or hotter.  It just depends on where you are.  I can't find the sites, but there are some maps out there that show the effects world wide.  Just know that the climate in your area will change - for better or worse.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

The only constant in life is change.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Here we are still have more too warm month's then to cool month's ... s far this year for my place every month was warmer then normal ... also with this bad summer so far the year is still to warm! :)

But also wetter then normal, we have now got 7 months and from that 7 months i have got 5 month more then 100 mm rainfall.

Robbin

Southwest

nothing but hot hot hot here.. mid 90's all week and sunny..

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Any one heard from Carlo Morici lately?

I think he may have melted two nights ago, in Tenerife.

They had a low of 95F and highs around 110F. And there some

raging fires in two of the main islands...

Algarve, Portugal

Zone 10.

Mediterranean Climate moderated by the Atlantic Ocean

Our weather has nothing to do with climate change, it's due to a Jamaican woman called Rihanna.  Her song Umbrella reached No.1 in the UK charts 11 weeks ago and it started raining.  It then remained at No.1 for 10 weeks, the longest No.1 for over a decade, during which time it continued to rain.  This Sunday it has finally fallen from the top spot and the sun came out the very next day.  There is no rain forecast now for the foreseeable future.

The worst thing is, it wasn't even a good song.

The climate change maps are a joke.  Each place that is making predictions like The Hadley Centre obtain various computer generated data using different algorithms, all of which produce different results, so what's the point.  Admittedly there is some correlation in some areas of the globe, but other areas vary considerably from map to map.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

when,  we were in college my brother stopped drinking on a dare.  It rained for a month afterwards.  When the James river crested near Richmond ,  the Governor got involved and ordered him to take a drink.

Are any of you folks on the "wagon" or is it entirely the Jamaican Ladys fault?

Ed

Edwin Brown III

:laugh:  :laugh:  Corey & Ed

Great writing  :P

My supposition is that globally, we are in uncharted territory with wide extremes in the weather  :o  I worry that another freeze will occur in California just like last January even though it was a "1 in 100" year event.  Anything is possible now  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ, you are correct.  In half of my lifetime we have had two "500-year" rainfall events (1979 and 2001).  Statistically, how can you even talk about a 500-year event if your time frame is less than many, many thousands of years?

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Oke, weather is better now, last 2 day's already sunny but col around the 20C/68F, tododay was already warmer with 22C/71.6F and dry and sunny ...

For the next couple day's no rain anymore, higher tempetures around the 24-25C/75.2-77F and sun .and blue sky's ... maybe in the weekend we go higher tot the 26-28C/78.8-82.4F ...

So summer in August? August starts good so far!

Robbin

Southwest

Historian Niall Ferguson's column in the Sunday Telegraph (and LA Times) noted that the last summer as bad as this year produced the French Revolution.

Niall Ferguson

Meanwhile, we're busy making up for a dry spring.  The Archontophoenix and Carpentarias love it.  And the shy little Mallika actually put out a flush of leaves.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(Neofolis @ Jul. 31 2007,07:44)

Our weather has nothing to do with climate change, it's due to a Jamaican woman called Rihanna.  Her song Umbrella reached No.1 in the UK charts 11 weeks ago and it started raining.  It then remained at No.1 for 10 weeks, the longest No.1 for over a decade, during which time it continued to rain.  This Sunday it has finally fallen from the top spot and the sun came out the very next day.  There is no rain forecast now for the foreseeable future.

The worst thing is, it wasn't even a good song.

The climate change maps are a joke.  Each place that is making predictions like The Hadley Centre obtain various computer generated data using different algorithms, all of which produce different results, so what's the point.  Admittedly there is some correlation in some areas of the globe, but other areas vary considerably from map to map.

Wow !!! Corey you are right.

That wretched woman, I hope she doesnt launch a record called snowplough in December.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Meanwhile,  the rest of

You fellows need to pick up the slack. I cant do all the drinking for the group.

Best regards,

Ed

Edwin Brown III

98f here right now.. and more mid-high 90's forecast for the next few days.... they we're gonna cool off into the high 80's for next week....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

I've been enjoying reading all these posts in this thread about weather in different parts of the globe and it certainly does make me more appreciative (and not just take for granted) our delightful Hawaiian weather.  As for weather here, about all I ever even pay some attention to is when they give the weeks expected highs and lows and then I even wonder why.  Here are the high/low temperatures for the week of August 3 to 8, 2007, for Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island:

87/74;        87/74;       87/75;       87/76;       87/76  F

30.5/23.3;  30.5/23.3; 30.5/23.8; 30.5/24.4; 30.5/24.4C

And next week and the week after will probably be much the same unless a slight change could happen only if some major tropical storm should happen through.  So all you guys with variable weather from day to day, not sure what tomorrow will bring, just think how exciting and un boring you have it!  Actually maybe our weather might seem a bit boring to some but I do like it and so do most of the palms.  There's a popular saying here that goes like this:  "Lucky we live Hawaii".  For many reasons, I would agree . . . but it's not for everybody and that's good too.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Al

There really isn't any "worse" weather in Hawaii  :laugh:  The heavy winter rains that caused flooding on Oahu was probably the biggest event in decades except a series of hurricanes several years ago that were unusually damaging. Water but never temperature is the only factor of weather change in Hawaii.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Nige and Neo:

Alas, so SAD to hear!

We could sure use some of that excess agua.

Here in Cali, when the currents that are normally cool turn warm, we also get LOTS of rain in the winter, 1997-1998!  Infamy!  

I hope things dry out for your soon.

This is bad news . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Sorry to  hear about the extended cloud cover...yuck.  We get it here from Dec to Mar...I know how depressing it is.   :(  

We've been fortunate here to have 88-100 F dry highs so far this summer.  Nannorops has enough heat in its spot in afternoon sun and Parajubaea cocoides is content to just stop its growth in its morning sun location.

We should all be living on the coast of Oahu...before the masses discovered it!   :)

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.