IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Potted Archontophoenix indoor

Antonella

Hi everyone! I have two beautiful potted Archontophoenix since 1 year. During the summer the growth was modest, but I didn’t notice any problem. since I moved the plants indoor during the fall, the growth proceed at a faster pace but some fronds are turning quickly brown and dry. I tried to do a shower to the plants but I didn’t notice any improvement. Any tips? The soil is always moist and there’s a discrete light . Much appreciated your help

434A83FC-481E-43A0-BED7-6F8562A3A3F0.jpeg

7141DD24-8A40-4E72-A95D-5ACB8EFDF8E0.jpeg

27A650C8-DB26-4600-A696-1BE9C942060D.jpeg

Tough species to have indoors when bought as a plant. I've lost mine....except for one that I started out as seed. It's a beatrice version and hasn't missed a beat. NEVER goes outdoors either. I've found that with some species if started out from seed indoors they do much  better than buying even a small palm and trying to make it work.

This has been especially true with Verschaffeltia spendita    

Edited by sashaeffer
spelling correction
  • Upvote 1

Here it is.

Gotta watch them close for spider mites as well. Amazing how they can just show up.

991D5BCC-FF6E-454A-90FA-AC364F45909B.jpeg

980B00E4-505D-4D38-BDE8-F8EA7DD26380.jpeg

Edited by sashaeffer
add text

Looking at the photos I get the impression the palm is not really close to any window and thus isn´t getting the natural daylight. If that is the case, either move it really close to a window or you will need to buy some growlights to keep it alive.  Most palms suffer without intense daylight. Browning leaves can be caused by overwatering or the dry heat from the heating system.  If it is possible, keep your palm as far away from any heaters as you can.  Reduce your watering, as well. It is winter and it is for the best if your palm takes a rest.  Even temperatures as low as 15  degrees Celsius/60 degrees Fahrenheit would be suitable for this time of the year and this type of palm.

Edited by Bismarckiafan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks a lot

there is a roof window, not viewable, that brings some direct light, but I will try to move it in a more light position than the actual . I use to water the plant once every 10 days and there is no heating close by. The temperature inside is around 18 degrees without the use of any heater. Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I will put in practice 

You are welcome. Your temperature and watering intervals seem fine.  Giving more light is always a good idea. This is how I treat my my Howea Forsteriana which has similar requirements. Sometimes you can get soggy soil and rotting roots on plants because the pot is too big or the pot doesn´t have sufficient drainage at the bottom.  A layer of pebbles or lots of holes drilled/made at the bottom of pots help to improve the drainage no end. Just ease up on the watering, pour a little water only on the top of the soil, don´t try to soak all of the rootball.  Most houseplants are killed by too much care.  Fingers crossed your Archie will settle in your home.