Jump to content
JLM

New Climate Normals (1991-2020)

Recommended Posts

kinzyjr

Nice work on the map, @Jimbean

The half zone up 1990 map was kind of what I was thinking as well.  The 50-year map would dial back some areas on the map that got promoted to the next higher zone since it includes the 1977 freeze as well as the 1980s.  Just in my neck of the woods, the 50-year map brings Bartow, Winter Haven, Kissimmee and Orlando (KMCO) back to top-end 9b climates.  Downtown Orlando (KORL) would remain a borderline zone 10a if records from Orlando International (KMCO) were used to fill in the 1974-1998 gap in complete yearly records in the NOAA data.

In regard to classification systems, any classification system is bound to have its shortcomings.   USDA Zones, Sunset Zones, Koppen-Geiger are just three that are commonly used.  When considering whether to plant something in my garden, I typically look for a few things:

If there are none here yet:

  1. What are the minimal temperatures it has survived? (observations in Florida, if possible)
  2. What percentage of the time does it survive each temperature?
  3. How much care would it take to nurse it through a bad freeze?
  4. Does it have other cultural requirements that are difficult or impossible to meet here?
  5. Does it cost a lot to buy or replace?

If there are some already planted:

  1. Are there any in my neck of the woods that have survived 2008?  2010?  2018?  All three?  (Should be long-term viable, if so)
  2. Are there any that survived the 1980s? (Should be bulletproof if it got through 1985 and/or 1989.  Difficult to ascertain at this point, unfortunately.)
  3. Are they barely hanging on and looking terrible?  Are they thriving?
  4. Are seeds from the survivors available and viable? (Higher percentage chance of good genes)

Other considerations:

  1. If they seed, is there a demand for the seeds? (Might as well make some money...)
  2. Is there a space on the lot suitable for it?
  3. How long will I have to wait until it looks like more than a blade of grass?
  4. How will it mesh with what is already present?
  5. Thorns/messy/self-cleaning?
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
5 hours ago, Jimbean said:

This map is based on the last 30 years.  Take this with a grain of sand.

floride10.gif

Awesome job @Jimbean
 

The data shows this is right, but what do we think about it though? Something doesn’t feel quite right about Bithlo and Melbourne Beach being in the same zone. 

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr
1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

Awesome job @Jimbean
 

The data shows this is right, but what do we think about it though? Something doesn’t feel quite right about Bithlo and Melbourne Beach being in the same zone. 

My mailbox was full of $50 and $100 checks, so...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JJPalmer
22 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

The new spreadsheet is attached.  Not sure this will substantially alter the map, but the locations that were very close to or were identical to each other are merged in this set.  There are now 211 locations rather than the 217.

202012312345_ZoneMap_1991-2020.xlsx 31.26 kB · 2 downloads

I’m really surprised how similar TPA and PIE are considering they’re separated by a Bay. Obviously the number of observations differ - but I would have expected St Pete - Clearwater to be significantly warmer than TPA. Great work, awesome seeing the data.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
9 minutes ago, JJPalmer said:

I’m really surprised how similar TPA and PIE are considering they’re separated by a Bay. Obviously the number of observations differ - but I would have expected St Pete - Clearwater to be significantly warmer than TPA. Great work, awesome seeing the data.

TPA’s thermometer gets a lot influence from the bay and the tarmac. Paul Delgado has actually mentioned this on the news before when TPA reported strangely high summer temps due to heat radiating off the asphalt. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

My mailbox was full of $50 and $100 checks, so...

Ah ok, that explains it. I don’t see St. Pete or AMI at 10b, is something off there or are we trying to extort them since we know the folks on AMI can afford it? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
On 12/29/2020 at 9:04 PM, RedRabbit said:

I’m skeptical of their ability to get it done in 2 years. Their SSL certificate expired over month ago and they haven’t bothered to fix it, even after I wrote in telling them about the problem. 

Yeah, Trump and the Republicans have done so much to sabotage government, but it really started when Reagan took over the federal government in the early 1980's.  I have even heard that there is a big push among Republicans to completely eliminate the National Weather Service and turn its duties over to their corporate buddies at "Accuweather"!

John

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr
1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

Ah ok, that explains it. I don’t see St. Pete or AMI at 10b, is something off there or are we trying to extort them since we know the folks on AMI can afford it? 

I figured they were already lucky enough, so they were told if they didn't pay they'd go down a zone. ;)

1 hour ago, JJPalmer said:

I’m really surprised how similar TPA and PIE are considering they’re separated by a Bay. Obviously the number of observations differ - but I would have expected St Pete - Clearwater to be significantly warmer than TPA. Great work, awesome seeing the data.

The data for the other layers on the Google Map is attached to this post if you're interested in that as well.

202101010035_AllTimeZones.xlsx

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimbean
12 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Awesome job @Jimbean
 

The data shows this is right, but what do we think about it though? Something doesn’t feel quite right about Bithlo and Melbourne Beach being in the same zone. 

Actually according to the data Melbourne Beach is zone 10B, but it's too small of a landmass to color it in.  Melbourne, Merritt Island, Vero Beach, ect are on the high end of 10A, and the interior locations of central Florida where it shows 10A are all borderline 10A.  What's missing is perhaps stations in East Orange county for example.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
18 hours ago, Jimbean said:

Actually according to the data Melbourne Beach is zone 10B, but it's too small of a landmass to color it in.  Melbourne, Merritt Island, Vero Beach, ect are on the high end of 10A, and the interior locations of central Florida where it shows 10A are all borderline 10A.  What's missing is perhaps stations in East Orange county for example.

Thanks for explaining, it makes sense that lack of data from rural eastern Orange / western Brevard could attribute to everything being labeled 10a. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bubba

I hate to beat my dead horse on a thread that many have put in a tremendous amount of hard work. With all this “Florida Freeze” stuff going on, I was under the impression that we had one of those extremely cold in the east situations with a corresponding extremely warm in the west scenario.

December statistics for cold hole PBIA show medium December 2020 average of 67.39 F. High/Low at PBIA of 84F/41F(45F at the beach). It cracks me up when all of the press communicates freezing Florida and our “cold day” is 61F/45F. To a Floridian who spends most of the year sweating, these days are refreshing and that for what we wish.

Using Phoenix as a western comparison, the monthly median December 2020 temperature was 55.49F with high/low of 80F/39F. Numerous days with high temperature in low 60sF with low temperature in the low 40sF. No breaking news stories on that action...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimbean
3 hours ago, bubba said:

I hate to beat my dead horse on a thread that many have put in a tremendous amount of hard work. With all this “Florida Freeze” stuff going on, I was under the impression that we had one of those extremely cold in the east situations with a corresponding extremely warm in the west scenario.

December statistics for cold hole PBIA show medium December 2020 average of 67.39 F. High/Low at PBIA of 84F/41F(45F at the beach). It cracks me up when all of the press communicates freezing Florida and our “cold day” is 61F/45F. To a Floridian who spends most of the year sweating, these days are refreshing and that for what we wish.

Using Phoenix as a western comparison, the monthly median December 2020 temperature was 55.49F with high/low of 80F/39F. Numerous days with high temperature in low 60sF with low temperature in the low 40sF. No breaking news stories on that action...

This is why I don't watch televised or mainstream news

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...