DoomsDave

La Habra Ohio

DoomsDave

Drove home from the Dark Tower and things looked a bit odd. It looked for a second like a washer overflowed and spilled suds all over.

Nope!

• Like 1

DoomsDave

It snowed!

First time in the 18 years I’ve lived here.

02E56856-63DE-498C-9987-82570246803E.thumb.jpeg.08e650f27dd2207abd08614372cdc144.jpeg

DDA7AC0E-4AB4-4AAB-87F2-30C1589635C5.thumb.jpeg.a000404c660472b60dafb0cb3a6bf294.jpeg

B4738A0F-866C-458C-A665-4A21A79D7E1B.thumb.jpeg.4a769732ce0c74a1e46a3f5c7425066a.jpeg

D60F1DAD-64FC-47D2-9D48-77DDB9571BF4.thumb.jpeg.d370ed1a040f78379f59c210e8401ae8.jpeg

• Like 13

PalmTreeDude

That is insane! I would never expect to see those palms near snow. 

Palm Tree Jim

No snow down here.

Silas_Sancona

Not snow, but lots of Hail

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RedRabbit

How does it snow there when it won’t even rain?

Very surprising to see, I wasn’t aware it was even cold there now. How do your palms look?

• Like 1

DoomsDave

This was snow trust me!

Tracy
4 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

This was snow trust me!

What the hail kinda micro-climate you got goin' on up there Dave.... Clouds of DOOM???  We warmed up with the cloud cover.  About 8 degrees warmer at first light today compared to the crisp nights when it was clear.  Currently we are in the mid-50's in Funkytown Leucadia and while threatening to rain again after showers last night, it seems to be passing over us to dump its precious liquid further inland.  Are you sure you aren't experimenting with Photoshop?

• Like 1

DoomsDave
10 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Not snow, but lots of Hail

Yike a Rooney!

That’s much worse than what I had!

Holy cow!

Silas_Sancona
2 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Yike a Rooney!

That’s much worse than what I had!

Holy cow!

The videos out there somewhere but parts of Phoenix had similar ( if not heavier ) hail dumps a couple times last winter.. Was enough that news footage shows kids sledding in it.  Stuck around where it fell for about 48 hours ( in shady spots )..

Another tweet from around the same time ( Apparently captured from the Santa Ana Radar site ) shows the T- storm that dumped the hail maturing right as it moved over La Habra / areas near you.. 

James B

What the??? It didn’t even snow at my house. Snow line started around 3,000 feet. I have a lake in my backyard as we’ve gotten 80,000 inches of rain since 12am.

• Upvote 1

James B

What are your temps like Dave? Currently 40 here.

Fusca

Wow, you almost got your white Christmas!

DoomsDave
18 minutes ago, James B said:

What are your temps like Dave? Currently 40 here.

About the same 

• Like 1

DoomsDave

I stand corrected!

It’s part snow part hail

SNAIL

87F7ACC1-B910-45B5-8387-A6A0F03AF43F.thumb.jpeg.21753507960c255a0eb2693b8a3a454e.jpeg

• Like 5

Chris Chance

Wow that's crazy! I'm not far from you in Whittier and it just raind like crazy! Definitely not cold enough for snow but hail on the other hand can happened with the thunderstorms that rolled through earlier. 

• Like 1

Eastendr

Considering how hot it was when I visited your place in the summer I'm shocked! No snow here, but lots and lots of rain today.

• Like 1

JLM

Looks like graupel.

James760

I'm at 3300 ft & we had no snow in Hesperia but the Cajon Pass going up got snow! They closed the freeway North & South on the 15 fwy due to crashes i believe.  I was suppose to head back to my DC in Apple Valley but got stuck here in Mira Loma/Eastvale...

The Gerg

Yowza! We had lots of rain and chilly weather but apparently nothing like at your place. It is weird to see your palms with the hail on the ground. 

enigma99

Wow crazy weather!

JubaeaMan138

Well that is just insane didn’t get to cold out here in riverside . When I left this morning at 5 am it was a chilly 43

JubaeaMan138

Insane amount of rain here though all day yesterday I don’t remember it letting up at all just dumped all day long from morning all the way till about 11 pm

DoomsDave

When I went to work this morning, it was about 45 F and chilly.

Hardly any hail left, like it was a dream.

JubaeaMan138

Lots of free water! To bad it’s ice water . 

• Like 1

joe_OC

How are the palms taking it?

• Like 1

bar

Super Cool!  

Just an FYI, hail typically occurs during thunderstorms, and boy was there thunder there, as heard in the video. The way you get monster size hail is that there are updrafts that cause the little ice pellets to rise back to the colder air and accumulate more ice, then they fall again.  If you ever have seen a big golf ball size hail and slice it in half, you will see layers!

But I don't think your palms care if it's snow or hail!  Cold is cold!  Back east (where I used to live) thunderstorms usually occurred during summer and so any hail (rare for Long Island) would melt pretty quickly.

• Like 2

Silas_Sancona
24 minutes ago, bar said:

Super Cool!  

Just an FYI, hail typically occurs during thunderstorms, and boy was there thunder there, as heard in the video. The way you get monster size hail is that there are updrafts that cause the little ice pellets to rise back to the colder air and accumulate more ice, then they fall again.  If you ever have seen a big golf ball size hail and slice it in half, you will see layers!

But I don't think your palms care if it's snow or hail!  Cold is cold!  Back east (where I used to live) thunderstorms usually occurred during summer and so any hail (rare for Long Island) would melt pretty quickly.

Can attest from living in Kansas.. and getting caught out in/ chasing storms there, witnessing hail, bigger than a Quarter, will leave you with a whole new respect for mother nature.

While not as common as out in the Plains, many people are surprised to hear ( and see ) that Storms of such intensity can drop pretty big hail here as well.

As much as i'd not like to see cars/ buildings suffer damage, the storm chaser in me has hoped to witness a  Plains - style, " big hailer ", similar to the video below, since moving here..

Video is from 2010 but there have been a few similar events since..

Matt in OC

Whoa. No hail down here, thankfully, but a bunch of rain!

• Like 1

DoomsDave
19 hours ago, joe_OC said:

How are the palms taking it?

So far, appear to be okay.

That hail was followed by a huge amount of rain, which: (a) put out the fires (YAY!!!); (b) washed away the hail; and (c) diluted the "icewater" problem a lot.

And, (d) saved me from watering for a while.

DoomsDave
18 hours ago, bar said:

Super Cool!  

Oh yes, another tip was my iPhone was showing a t-storm too, which is kind of rare here.

DoomsDave

Check this out!

About a mile from my house. I missed all the fun! :crying:

DoomsDave
21 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Lots of free water! To bad it’s ice water . 

Actually, as noted, the rain that followed appears to have helped a lot.

I'll bet I had about 2 - 3".