IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

La Habra Ohio

DoomsDave

Drove home from the Dark Tower and things looked a bit odd. It looked for a second like a washer overflowed and spilled suds all over.

Nope!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

It snowed!

First time in the 18 years I’ve lived here.

02E56856-63DE-498C-9987-82570246803E.thumb.jpeg.08e650f27dd2207abd08614372cdc144.jpeg

DDA7AC0E-4AB4-4AAB-87F2-30C1589635C5.thumb.jpeg.a000404c660472b60dafb0cb3a6bf294.jpeg

B4738A0F-866C-458C-A665-4A21A79D7E1B.thumb.jpeg.4a769732ce0c74a1e46a3f5c7425066a.jpeg

D60F1DAD-64FC-47D2-9D48-77DDB9571BF4.thumb.jpeg.d370ed1a040f78379f59c210e8401ae8.jpeg

• Like 13

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

How does it snow there when it won’t even rain?

Very surprising to see, I wasn’t aware it was even cold there now. How do your palms look?

• Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

This was snow trust me!

4 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

This was snow trust me!

What the hail kinda micro-climate you got goin' on up there Dave.... Clouds of DOOM???  We warmed up with the cloud cover.  About 8 degrees warmer at first light today compared to the crisp nights when it was clear.  Currently we are in the mid-50's in Funkytown Leucadia and while threatening to rain again after showers last night, it seems to be passing over us to dump its precious liquid further inland.  Are you sure you aren't experimenting with Photoshop?

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

10 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Not snow, but lots of Hail

Yike a Rooney!

That’s much worse than what I had!

Holy cow!

2 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Yike a Rooney!

That’s much worse than what I had!

Holy cow!

The videos out there somewhere but parts of Phoenix had similar ( if not heavier ) hail dumps a couple times last winter.. Was enough that news footage shows kids sledding in it.  Stuck around where it fell for about 48 hours ( in shady spots )..

Another tweet from around the same time ( Apparently captured from the Santa Ana Radar site ) shows the T- storm that dumped the hail maturing right as it moved over La Habra / areas near you.. 

What the??? It didn’t even snow at my house. Snow line started around 3,000 feet. I have a lake in my backyard as we’ve gotten 80,000 inches of rain since 12am.

• Upvote 1

@DoomsDave Time to head back the the 11a hilltops big guy!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

18 minutes ago, James B said:

What are your temps like Dave? Currently 40 here.

About the same 

• Like 1

I stand corrected!

It’s part snow part hail

SNAIL

87F7ACC1-B910-45B5-8387-A6A0F03AF43F.thumb.jpeg.21753507960c255a0eb2693b8a3a454e.jpeg

• Like 5

Wow that's crazy! I'm not far from you in Whittier and it just raind like crazy! Definitely not cold enough for snow but hail on the other hand can happened with the thunderstorms that rolled through earlier. 

• Like 1

Considering how hot it was when I visited your place in the summer I'm shocked! No snow here, but lots and lots of rain today.

• Like 1

Looks like graupel.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I'm at 3300 ft & we had no snow in Hesperia but the Cajon Pass going up got snow! They closed the freeway North & South on the 15 fwy due to crashes i believe.  I was suppose to head back to my DC in Apple Valley but got stuck here in Mira Loma/Eastvale...

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Yowza! We had lots of rain and chilly weather but apparently nothing like at your place. It is weird to see your palms with the hail on the ground. 

This video appears to have been shot by one of my near neighbors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIbOKclvqGU

Hail Storm La Habra, CA 12/28/2020 - YouTube

• Like 4

Things got ugly in New Zealand, too, holy Cow, this was Sunday.

(Dec 27, 2020) Heavy hailstorm hits in Motueka, New Zealand - Natural disaster - YouTube

Looks like I missed the real fun!

La Habra hailstorm December 28, 2020 - YouTube

• Like 1

Insane amount of rain here though all day yesterday I don’t remember it letting up at all just dumped all day long from morning all the way till about 11 pm

When I went to work this morning, it was about 45 F and chilly.

Hardly any hail left, like it was a dream.

Super Cool!  

Just an FYI, hail typically occurs during thunderstorms, and boy was there thunder there, as heard in the video. The way you get monster size hail is that there are updrafts that cause the little ice pellets to rise back to the colder air and accumulate more ice, then they fall again.  If you ever have seen a big golf ball size hail and slice it in half, you will see layers!

But I don't think your palms care if it's snow or hail!  Cold is cold!  Back east (where I used to live) thunderstorms usually occurred during summer and so any hail (rare for Long Island) would melt pretty quickly.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bar said:

Super Cool!  

Just an FYI, hail typically occurs during thunderstorms, and boy was there thunder there, as heard in the video. The way you get monster size hail is that there are updrafts that cause the little ice pellets to rise back to the colder air and accumulate more ice, then they fall again.  If you ever have seen a big golf ball size hail and slice it in half, you will see layers!

But I don't think your palms care if it's snow or hail!  Cold is cold!  Back east (where I used to live) thunderstorms usually occurred during summer and so any hail (rare for Long Island) would melt pretty quickly.

Can attest from living in Kansas.. and getting caught out in/ chasing storms there, witnessing hail, bigger than a Quarter, will leave you with a whole new respect for mother nature.

While not as common as out in the Plains, many people are surprised to hear ( and see ) that Storms of such intensity can drop pretty big hail here as well.

As much as i'd not like to see cars/ buildings suffer damage, the storm chaser in me has hoped to witness a  Plains - style, " big hailer ", similar to the video below, since moving here..

Video is from 2010 but there have been a few similar events since..

19 hours ago, joe_OC said:

How are the palms taking it?

So far, appear to be okay.

That hail was followed by a huge amount of rain, which: (a) put out the fires (YAY!!!); (b) washed away the hail; and (c) diluted the "icewater" problem a lot.

And, (d) saved me from watering for a while.

18 hours ago, bar said:

Super Cool!  

Oh yes, another tip was my iPhone was showing a t-storm too, which is kind of rare here.

Check this out!

About a mile from my house. I missed all the fun! :crying:

21 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Lots of free water! To bad it’s ice water . 

Actually, as noted, the rain that followed appears to have helped a lot.

I'll bet I had about 2 - 3".

On 12/28/2020 at 10:38 PM, JLM said:

Looks like graupel.

I think it was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel

• Like 1