IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Majesty palm

Ianjuarez

Can majesty palm survive outside in full sun? Growing in California 10a. Also what’s your prefer brand of fertilizer and schedule? 

They can. You have to ease them into it, or they'll sunburn. I've got 2 on my patio - one gets more sun than the other, and it's almost a neon green vs the dark green of the other that's more shaded.

They'll also need more water, but it's almost impossible to over water these things.

I use Carl Pool palm food on mine. 

@RedRabbit I know these are both from the same person, but he has a degree and knows what he's talking about. Ive seen many other things about this, but i cant find them at this time.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

How does one post in the wrong thread :floor:

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

6 minutes ago, JLM said:

How does one post in the wrong thread :floor:

It's Monday, homey. Lol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ianjuarez said:

Can majesty palm survive outside in full sun? Growing in California 10a. Also what’s your prefer brand of fertilizer and schedule? 

I live in zone 9b Southern California and they grow here too. As stated above they need insane amounts of water but they will handle full sun once they acclimate. Most of the time you see them looking yellow because they don't get enough water or fertilizer. I use Palm Plus these days. I like that it has micros and everything else palms crave.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

I live in zone 9b Southern California and they grow here too. As stated above they need insane amounts of water but they will handle full sun once they acclimate. Most of the time you see them looking yellow because they don't get enough water or fertilizer. I use Palm Plus these days. I like that it has micros and everything else palms crave.

What’s your schedule on your fertilizer? I use jobe palm but I stop since it’s winter. I’ve read that only use fertilizer on growing season but label says 2-3 months I’m confused.

23 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

and everything else palms crave.

What plants crave. 

picture_3.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/29/2020 at 6:43 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

What plants crave. 

picture_3.png

Hahaha :floor2: I love that movie. It's so idiotic! I definitely use toilet water for my plants. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

Hahaha :floor2: I love that movie. It's so idiotic! I definitely use toilet water for my plants. 

It's got electrolytes. 

On 12/29/2020 at 7:18 PM, Ianjuarez said:

What’s your schedule on your fertilizer? I use jobe palm but I stop since it’s winter. I’ve read that only use fertilizer on growing season but label says 2-3 months I’m confused.

That " 2-3 per/mo. " suggestion on the package is just that..  In winter, cooler soil temps. will generally reduce / halt growth, even on Ravenea r's..  So applying anything, except maybe something organic like Seaweed/Kelp, Fish/ bone/blood meal will just go to waste since, if the plant isn't growing, it isn't going to take up much ( if any ) nutrients from the fertilizer. 

The other thing is when you start fertilizing for the year might vary a little, year to year, depending on prevailing weather conditions.. Earlier it is consistently above 75F/ nights stay at/above say 45F, the earlier growth resumes..  So some years you might be able to apply the first fertilizer - for the year- in say early/mid Feb., while other years, when it is cool and wet for instance, you might have to wait a few more weeks.

Where the plants are planted can influence soil temps. as well.. Southern exposure will always warm up faster this time of year, as spring approaches.

As for tolerating full sun, As Chris mentions, lots of pictures both here and around the web of huge, beautiful specimens around S. Cal. growing happily in full sun. Little guys have to adjust a bit at first, but are good to go if watered/ fed well. 

Good luck, and happy New Year..

2 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

It's got electrolytes. 

Yep, no need for toilet water lol

• Like 1