JohnAndSancho

Sunday Funday

JohnAndSancho

Finally got around to splitting up my 3 surviving Howeas. The one in the little white pot is going on my desk at work. I hope I'm not overpotting them too much (all 3 are in 2gallon pots), but I did mix a good amount of turface and fir bark into 2 of them. I also topcoated all of them with turface as well to hopefully prevent fungus gnats from popping up and make things a little more aesthetic. 

Thanks to everyone for all the tips, and please don't judge me for my messy countertop :bummed:

Message_1609112215097.jpg

Edited by JohnAndSancho
Oops.
  • Like 2

JohnAndSancho

Welp, forgive me if this makes me the black sheep of this forum - but I got drunk and decided to give the nicest looking plant to a friend. It's in a blend of 1/3 fir bark, 1/3 "Monto clay," 1/3 expensive potting soil in a well draining garden pot with a saucer so she'd literally have to try to kill it. Gave her pretty specific instructions to prevent spider mites, bathed it in insecticidal soap a week ago. In my mind, I'm a)spreading the palmy love, b)freeing up a spot under my grow light, and c) now I have room to buy a Belmoraena(sp?)

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

Very generous. Hope she appreciates the gift.

• Like 1

JohnAndSancho

Welp 

The Kentia I took to my office died. The one I gave to an employee got destroyed by a child with scissors. Tonight, I came home to a new leaf popping up on the last survivor. 

Message_1617678847500.jpg

JohnAndSancho
29 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@JohnAndSancho What killed your office one ? 

T J 

I think too much stress at once. Repotting and moving and having to work in hospitality. It shriveled up and died in about a week. 

OC2Texaspalmlvr
53 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I think too much stress at once. Repotting and moving and having to work in hospitality. It shriveled up and died in about a week. 

Thats unfortunate,  I had a multi I gotten from @Phil years ago that has become a single and now a dwarf haha this thing is slow indoors but any Texas sun outdoors burns these in a day. 

T J 

JohnAndSancho
1 minute ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Thats unfortunate,  I had a multi I gotten from @Phil years ago that has become a single and now a dwarf haha this thing is slow indoors but any Texas sun outdoors burns these in a day. 

T J 

I bought another 1g cluster from Phil last week that's gonna end up in my office. :shaka-2:

OC2Texaspalmlvr
11 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I bought another 1g cluster from Phil last week that's gonna end up in my office. :shaka-2:

Nice :shaka-2:

• Upvote 1

JohnAndSancho
8 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Nice :shaka-2:

Pretty impressive for a 1 gallon $50 palm. I had mentioned to him that I bought another 1g Kentia from Jungle Jacks and 2 died after I split them up. I dunno if he picked me out a really nice one because of that, but I'd like to think he did. I'm kinda scared to split these up, but they def need to be repotted lol. 

Message_1617844942405.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• JohnAndSancho
      By JohnAndSancho
      I gave Phil at Jungle Music (and UPS ) a chunk of my stimulus check. 

C. Benzii, C. Plumosa, and another Kentia that def needs to be repotted and was way bigger than Phil told me over the phone. 

Pretty sure my apartment manager is gonna send me a nastygram email, and now I really need to get off my culo and repot some things so I can give them away. 

• JohnAndSancho
      By JohnAndSancho
      I had initially bought a 1 gallon pot of 4 Kentias from Etsy a few months ago. One of them died on me pretty suddenly, so I split the other 3 up and stuck this one in my office. It's starting to yellow - 

I did carefully detangle the roots. The nursery I bought it from has their own special Kentia soil, but I removed it and it's in a mix of Turface, reptile bark, and Fox Farm Ocean Forest potting soil at a 1:1:1 mix. 

My office gets a lot more light and is a lot warmer than my apartment was. Should I bring some fish emulsion or Superthrive (already read all the posts, already bought it) to help him out? The little frond in the back is more yellow than the rest, and he's still got some black spots from prior pest damage and shipping. He's definitely a few shades lighter than he was last week though. 

• PsyPalm
      By PsyPalm
      I recently picked up a cluster (20-25) of howea seedlings and separated them into numerous small pots and decided to take a shot at growing them in leca.
      I wanted to try out a few different semi-hydro pot/container styles since it's my first time growing these in leca and I wanted to see if some things work better than others.  In the picture from left to right we have:
      -Lechuza deltini mini filled with lechuza pon and topped with leca
      -White ceramic 4" pot with leca in plastic liner
      -White ceramic 3" pot with leca in plastic liner
      -4" terra cotta pot with leca submerged in marble water reservoir
      -Clear 500ml beaker with pure leca, no plastic liner
      If anyone has any tips/advice for growing palms in leca (when/what to feed them..) I'm all ears, I'm pretty new to it all.  I'll keep the thread updated on their progress, thanks guys!

• JohnAndSancho
      By JohnAndSancho
      I potted up my Lyto seedlings in as close to the Pal Meir mix as I could get. I used Monto Clay (yes, i spent too much money) and some Repti Bark at a 2:1 bark to clay ratio. I put them in 6" clay pots and was super careful with the roots because these plants were kind of expensive.....
      How soon should I fertilize or add plant food? They are super tiny, one still had part of the seed attached until I popped it out of the liner pot. I have Carl Pool palm food and Alaska liquid fish fertilizer. I also have a bottle of Super Thrive. I've never opened it but I did place the unopened bottle next to a struggling houseplant and it's since recovered 

I also fixed one of my rookie mistakes on the Cataractarum. I had mixed some fine "top dressing" sand in the soil - welp, the sand all clumped up and clogged all the drainage holes in the pot, so - every time i watered it, it would look normal and then all of a sudden, it flooded out the bottom of the pot. The plant has really been suffering, so I popped the saucer off the bottom, cleaned it all out, and just repotted this one in the potting soil I had on my porch. (Fox Farm Ocean Forest) My other cataractum is in the same soil (with no sand lol) and it's growing like a weed. 

My project for my next day off is to split my 3 Howeas up and give them each their own 2 gal pot. Would the fir bark/super overpriced Turface be a good potting mix for them too? 

Thanks for any support and advice y'all can offer me. 

• PsyPalm
      By PsyPalm
      Hey guys!  I'm toying with the idea of splitting up my cluster of four kentias into four individual pots.  During this process my idea is to convert them from soil to a semi-hydro setup using Leca.
      I was inspired by the following thread concerning palms in Leca, specifically the impressive success story by user wimmie of two very large howeas growing semi hydro in pure Leca.  
      My questions/concerns about the process are the following:
      -I've heard a lot about how sensitive kentias roots are and I'd want to go about separating my cluster in the best possible way, so any advice on how to do that without shocking/killing the plants would be much appreciated.
      -Part of transitioning a plant to semi hydro is washing ALL soil and organic matter off of the roots before placing in Leca, and I'm wondering if this extra rinsing and cleaning of the roots/root ball is a mistake given the delicate nature of kentias roots, and general ideas as to the best way to go about this.  (mine are currently growing in a fast draining sandy soil mix with a generous amount of lava rock)
      -My plan is to transfer them into Lechuza pots with an internal reservoir but any recommendations or advice on the best type of pot to use for a large semi hydro format would also be appreciated.
      -If I do end up pulling the trigger, should I wait until spring to do so?  (This palm cluster is currently growing with virtually no natural light and is provided 10 hrs of led grow light each day.  They've put out two new fronds this year and seem to be very happy in this setup)
      I attached a pic of my howea cluster for reference, the tallest of the four is around 6' tall.  If I end up going ahead with everything I'll be sure to document the process and keep this thread updated with their progress. Thanks in advance everyone!