IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Please. No Single Digits This Winter.

GregVirginia7

Here’s the final touches to the palmscape...Medi now has the black frost cloth “shroud“ I’ll unpin and yank down when we hit the teens...the Trachy gets its final layer of frost cloth (already on top of a 3” layer of mulch) so I think we’re good...the Needle palms spent the whole time laughing at my efforts as usual. Hope all had a good Christmas and wishing everyone the very best in 2021. 

2393F5DB-9323-4447-93A3-EE94B3E75A16.thumb.jpeg.b4d8a9584a127d3ceacd4c5412e73bcb.jpeg6054E88F-5C60-4C9A-AB89-F617F54AAD29.thumb.jpeg.2f9c1d0273201a0f623c0bdcde90a6bf.jpegC9653A57-CD1F-4BEF-97DD-67FB78039FF4.thumb.jpeg.0aa3ea85ed37a23bf6bc9dc457609eb0.jpeg576EC1B2-C5C7-415A-A418-2FB2B6879E76.thumb.jpeg.1ced2814558e2f04a53fdfd20c48c00e.jpeg

• Like 8

what part of nova do you live in I am a solid 7b in the southern suburbs of DC we are the snow hole of nova we get hardly any snow

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

8 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

what part of nova do you live in I am a solid 7b in the southern suburbs of DC we are the snow hole of nova we get hardly any snow

"Snow hole" - I like that. I was previously in the "snow hole" of Connecticut - the river valley (although I suspect Fairfield County (near NYC) has influence from the urban heat island and the protection of Long Island Sound and also misses out on the fluffy stuff.

Here's to no single digits in NOVA. Had too many when I lived there.

BTW, your palms look great.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

21 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Here’s the final touches to the palmscape...Medi now has the black frost cloth “shroud“ I’ll unpin and yank down when we hit the teens...the Trachy gets its final layer of frost cloth (already on top of a 3” layer of mulch) so I think we’re good...the Needle palms spent the whole time laughing at my efforts as usual. Hope all had a good Christmas and wishing everyone the very best in 2021. 

2393F5DB-9323-4447-93A3-EE94B3E75A16.thumb.jpeg.b4d8a9584a127d3ceacd4c5412e73bcb.jpeg6054E88F-5C60-4C9A-AB89-F617F54AAD29.thumb.jpeg.2f9c1d0273201a0f623c0bdcde90a6bf.jpegC9653A57-CD1F-4BEF-97DD-67FB78039FF4.thumb.jpeg.0aa3ea85ed37a23bf6bc9dc457609eb0.jpeg576EC1B2-C5C7-415A-A418-2FB2B6879E76.thumb.jpeg.1ced2814558e2f04a53fdfd20c48c00e.jpeg

Looking good! I also live in the D.C. area, in Montgomery County, MD, and I too really hope it doesn't drop into the single digits. I have two young trachys for which this is their first winter in the ground, and I hope it is a relatively mild winter for them. Your C. humilis looks beautiful and so does your T. fortunei! Best of luck to you and your palms this winter, lets hope it's a mild one! Take care!

PalmsUSA

Edited by PalmsUSA

1 hour ago, PalmsUSA said:

Looking good! I also live in the D.C. area, in Montgomery County, MD, and I too really hope it doesn't drop into the single digits. I have two young trachys for which this is their first winter in the ground, and I hope it is a relatively mild winter for them. Your C. humilis looks beautiful and so does your T. fortunei! Best of luck to you and your palms this winter, lets hope it's a mild one! Take care!

PalmsUSA

If it’s anything like last winter, it’ll be great. South facing positioning is the best for our zone...a bit of a problem with the Medi is that the roof line of the house and the low arch of the sun shade it for a large part of the afternoon. Planting it higher on the bank would have been better...But I’ve learned a lot since 2014 and let’s face it, we’re limited with in ground palms so not a whole lot to experiment with. I think I might start loading up on some Sabal Minors...have 3 single strap seedlings in ground around the pond...looking forward to seeing how they do...parent plants in Bethany, DE are doing fantastically.

59 minutes ago, GregVirginia7 said:

If it’s anything like last winter, it’ll be great. South facing positioning is the best for our zone...a bit of a problem with the Medi is that the roof line of the house and the low arch of the sun shade it for a large part of the afternoon. Planting it higher on the bank would have been better...But I’ve learned a lot since 2014 and let’s face it, we’re limited with in ground palms so not a whole lot to experiment with. I think I might start loading up on some Sabal Minors...have 3 single strap seedlings in ground around the pond...looking forward to seeing how they do...parent plants in Bethany, DE are doing fantastically.

Yeah, I really hope this winter is like last year's. We are certainly limited with in-ground palms here. Your garden looks great! Just wondering, what is a good store in the D.C. area where you can buy outdoor palms? I went to American plant and bought a C. humilis there, but that was the only outdoor palm they had. Most of the plant stores/nurseries I have been to in the D.C. area have a poor selection of palms, so I was wondering if you knew of a good place to buy palms in the area. Thank you!

PalmsUSA

On 12/28/2020 at 4:51 PM, PalmsUSA said:

Yeah, I really hope this winter is like last year's. We are certainly limited with in-ground palms here. Your garden looks great! Just wondering, what is a good store in the D.C. area where you can buy outdoor palms? I went to American plant and bought a C. humilis there, but that was the only outdoor palm they had. Most of the plant stores/nurseries I have been to in the D.C. area have a poor selection of palms, so I was wondering if you knew of a good place to buy palms in the area. Thank you!

PalmsUSA

The only one I got at a store was at Merrifield Garden Center. That was the Medi and was a lucky find as it was Indoors and diseased, the wrong environment for sure...the Brazoria was from Chilly Palms on-line, but now that I think about it, the Needles came from Home Depot...there is a garden center on Richmond Hwy. called Holly Woods and Vines...not sure about current stock but was there about two years ago and they had a huge selection of Needles...nice mature ones...my guess is, on-line selections are probably best...got the Trachy on line but can’t remember from where...Wish I could duplicate the genes in that one with a couple more! Good luck with your Trachies in ground for their first winter. Are you protecting them?

On 12/28/2020 at 4:51 PM, PalmsUSA said:

PalmsUSA

“How sweet it is” garden center over on the eastern shore of Md usually has a selection of the usual hardy palms.

1 hour ago, GregVirginia7 said:

The only one I got at a store was at Merrifield Garden Center. That was the Medi and was a lucky find as it was Indoors and diseased, the wrong environment for sure...the Brazoria was from Chilly Palms on-line, but now that I think about it, the Needles came from Home Depot...there is a garden center on Richmond Hwy. called Holly Woods and Vines...not sure about current stock but was there about two years ago and they had a huge selection of Needles...nice mature ones...my guess is, on-line selections are probably best...got the Trachy on line but can’t remember from where...Wish I could duplicate the genes in that one with a couple more! Good luck with your Trachies in ground for their first winter. Are you protecting them?

Very helpful thank you so much! I checked out the Merrifield Garden Center on Google Maps Street View and they appeared to have some big palmettos outside. I hope to visit at least one of those stores because I do not have any needle palms, and I would love some! Take care!

PalmsUSA

Edited by PalmsUSA

54 minutes ago, Nj Palms said:

“How sweet it is” garden center over on the eastern shore of Md usually has a selection of the usual hardy palms.

Thank you so much! I hope to check it out when I go to the Eastern Shore. Take care!

PalmsUSA

• Like 1