Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GregVirginia7

Please. No Single Digits This Winter.

Recommended Posts

GregVirginia7

Here’s the final touches to the palmscape...Medi now has the black frost cloth “shroud“ I’ll unpin and yank down when we hit the teens...the Trachy gets its final layer of frost cloth (already on top of a 3” layer of mulch) so I think we’re good...the Needle palms spent the whole time laughing at my efforts as usual. Hope all had a good Christmas and wishing everyone the very best in 2021. 

2393F5DB-9323-4447-93A3-EE94B3E75A16.thumb.jpeg.b4d8a9584a127d3ceacd4c5412e73bcb.jpeg6054E88F-5C60-4C9A-AB89-F617F54AAD29.thumb.jpeg.2f9c1d0273201a0f623c0bdcde90a6bf.jpegC9653A57-CD1F-4BEF-97DD-67FB78039FF4.thumb.jpeg.0aa3ea85ed37a23bf6bc9dc457609eb0.jpeg576EC1B2-C5C7-415A-A418-2FB2B6879E76.thumb.jpeg.1ced2814558e2f04a53fdfd20c48c00e.jpeg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dartolution

Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GregVirginia7

Thank you...want things to look nice in the winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
climate change virginia

what part of nova do you live in I am a solid 7b in the southern suburbs of DC we are the snow hole of nova we get hardly any snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manalto
8 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

what part of nova do you live in I am a solid 7b in the southern suburbs of DC we are the snow hole of nova we get hardly any snow

"Snow hole" - I like that. I was previously in the "snow hole" of Connecticut - the river valley (although I suspect Fairfield County (near NYC) has influence from the urban heat island and the protection of Long Island Sound and also misses out on the fluffy stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmatierMeg

Here's to no single digits in NOVA. Had too many when I lived there.

BTW, your palms look great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmsUSA
21 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Here’s the final touches to the palmscape...Medi now has the black frost cloth “shroud“ I’ll unpin and yank down when we hit the teens...the Trachy gets its final layer of frost cloth (already on top of a 3” layer of mulch) so I think we’re good...the Needle palms spent the whole time laughing at my efforts as usual. Hope all had a good Christmas and wishing everyone the very best in 2021. 

2393F5DB-9323-4447-93A3-EE94B3E75A16.thumb.jpeg.b4d8a9584a127d3ceacd4c5412e73bcb.jpeg6054E88F-5C60-4C9A-AB89-F617F54AAD29.thumb.jpeg.2f9c1d0273201a0f623c0bdcde90a6bf.jpegC9653A57-CD1F-4BEF-97DD-67FB78039FF4.thumb.jpeg.0aa3ea85ed37a23bf6bc9dc457609eb0.jpeg576EC1B2-C5C7-415A-A418-2FB2B6879E76.thumb.jpeg.1ced2814558e2f04a53fdfd20c48c00e.jpeg

Looking good! I also live in the D.C. area, in Montgomery County, MD, and I too really hope it doesn't drop into the single digits. I have two young trachys for which this is their first winter in the ground, and I hope it is a relatively mild winter for them. Your C. humilis looks beautiful and so does your T. fortunei! Best of luck to you and your palms this winter, lets hope it's a mild one! Take care!

PalmsUSA

Edited by PalmsUSA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GregVirginia7
1 hour ago, PalmsUSA said:

Looking good! I also live in the D.C. area, in Montgomery County, MD, and I too really hope it doesn't drop into the single digits. I have two young trachys for which this is their first winter in the ground, and I hope it is a relatively mild winter for them. Your C. humilis looks beautiful and so does your T. fortunei! Best of luck to you and your palms this winter, lets hope it's a mild one! Take care!

PalmsUSA

If it’s anything like last winter, it’ll be great. South facing positioning is the best for our zone...a bit of a problem with the Medi is that the roof line of the house and the low arch of the sun shade it for a large part of the afternoon. Planting it higher on the bank would have been better...But I’ve learned a lot since 2014 and let’s face it, we’re limited with in ground palms so not a whole lot to experiment with. I think I might start loading up on some Sabal Minors...have 3 single strap seedlings in ground around the pond...looking forward to seeing how they do...parent plants in Bethany, DE are doing fantastically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmsUSA
59 minutes ago, GregVirginia7 said:

If it’s anything like last winter, it’ll be great. South facing positioning is the best for our zone...a bit of a problem with the Medi is that the roof line of the house and the low arch of the sun shade it for a large part of the afternoon. Planting it higher on the bank would have been better...But I’ve learned a lot since 2014 and let’s face it, we’re limited with in ground palms so not a whole lot to experiment with. I think I might start loading up on some Sabal Minors...have 3 single strap seedlings in ground around the pond...looking forward to seeing how they do...parent plants in Bethany, DE are doing fantastically.

Yeah, I really hope this winter is like last year's. We are certainly limited with in-ground palms here. Your garden looks great! Just wondering, what is a good store in the D.C. area where you can buy outdoor palms? I went to American plant and bought a C. humilis there, but that was the only outdoor palm they had. Most of the plant stores/nurseries I have been to in the D.C. area have a poor selection of palms, so I was wondering if you knew of a good place to buy palms in the area. Thank you!

PalmsUSA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GregVirginia7
On 12/28/2020 at 4:51 PM, PalmsUSA said:

Yeah, I really hope this winter is like last year's. We are certainly limited with in-ground palms here. Your garden looks great! Just wondering, what is a good store in the D.C. area where you can buy outdoor palms? I went to American plant and bought a C. humilis there, but that was the only outdoor palm they had. Most of the plant stores/nurseries I have been to in the D.C. area have a poor selection of palms, so I was wondering if you knew of a good place to buy palms in the area. Thank you!

PalmsUSA

The only one I got at a store was at Merrifield Garden Center. That was the Medi and was a lucky find as it was Indoors and diseased, the wrong environment for sure...the Brazoria was from Chilly Palms on-line, but now that I think about it, the Needles came from Home Depot...there is a garden center on Richmond Hwy. called Holly Woods and Vines...not sure about current stock but was there about two years ago and they had a huge selection of Needles...nice mature ones...my guess is, on-line selections are probably best...got the Trachy on line but can’t remember from where...Wish I could duplicate the genes in that one with a couple more! Good luck with your Trachies in ground for their first winter. Are you protecting them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nj Palms
On 12/28/2020 at 4:51 PM, PalmsUSA said:

Yeah, I really hope this winter is like last year's. We are certainly limited with in-ground palms here. Your garden looks great! Just wondering, what is a good store in the D.C. area where you can buy outdoor palms? I went to American plant and bought a C. humilis there, but that was the only outdoor palm they had. Most of the plant stores/nurseries I have been to in the D.C. area have a poor selection of palms, so I was wondering if you knew of a good place to buy palms in the area. Thank you!

PalmsUSA

“How sweet it is” garden center over on the eastern shore of Md usually has a selection of the usual hardy palms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmsUSA
1 hour ago, GregVirginia7 said:

The only one I got at a store was at Merrifield Garden Center. That was the Medi and was a lucky find as it was Indoors and diseased, the wrong environment for sure...the Brazoria was from Chilly Palms on-line, but now that I think about it, the Needles came from Home Depot...there is a garden center on Richmond Hwy. called Holly Woods and Vines...not sure about current stock but was there about two years ago and they had a huge selection of Needles...nice mature ones...my guess is, on-line selections are probably best...got the Trachy on line but can’t remember from where...Wish I could duplicate the genes in that one with a couple more! Good luck with your Trachies in ground for their first winter. Are you protecting them?

Very helpful thank you so much! I checked out the Merrifield Garden Center on Google Maps Street View and they appeared to have some big palmettos outside. I hope to visit at least one of those stores because I do not have any needle palms, and I would love some! Take care!

PalmsUSA

Edited by PalmsUSA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmsUSA
54 minutes ago, Nj Palms said:

“How sweet it is” garden center over on the eastern shore of Md usually has a selection of the usual hardy palms.


Thank you so much! I hope to check it out when I go to the Eastern Shore. Take care!

PalmsUSA

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Question...we got iced over yesterday which brought out an observable change in my Needle and Trachy’s palmate leaf segments:


      The segments get a striped appearance with different shades of green. I’ve seen it every winter, especially when temps are consistently in the teens or twenties...my Minors do the same thing. It obviously has something to do with cold hardiness...the first picture is my Needle and much less pronounced than my Trachy’s reaction and arguably, the Needle is more cold hardy than the Trachy...just wondering...
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Freezing nighttime temps are arriving over the next 14-consecutive days...predictions have 14-nights below freezing (Fahrenheit) but only two daytime temps below freezing. For the cold hardy, this seems like a reasonable scenario as day temps will allow for recovery from the night’s freezes. In that period, there will be two consecutive days/nights below freezing...one at 25/12 and the next at 30/19. My palms have had worse long-term freezes than this...but I’ll wrap the Trachy’s trunk for the two consecutive days below freezing. The Sabal Brazoria and the Chamaerops Humilis are protected as usual all winter but will let the Sabal Minor straplings tough it out with just frost cloth on the ground around. Both 24-hour, back to back periods below freezing have sun to a degree, so given their nice south face, wrapped umbrella covered cages and frost cloth ground cover I think we’re set for a reasonable episode for my cold hardy palms.
      Question...given that glucose storage in evergreen plant cells helps give them the anti-freeze they need to keep their cells from freezing solid and dying, if palms are periodically watered with a mixture of molasses and water (which I do with a gallon watering can spring and summer) is there a chance they take in the glucose in the molasses and move to store it in their cells? Crazy notion and such a regimen, if anything, feeds the bacteria in the soil, thus benefiting the soil...but any expert opinion on the regimen actually resulting in an uptake of glucose by the palm Itself would be appreciated.
    • Paradise Found
      By Paradise Found
      My cycad hasn't flushed in two years. Is there anything I can do to make it flush this spring/summer? It's a taitungensis x guizhouensis.  
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      One of the nicer and somewhat eagerly awaited aspects of cold hardy palm growing...
      and one of the cold, hard realities...
    • The7thLegend
      By The7thLegend
      I was going through old pics and came across this unusual palm I took a photo of at Silver Springs.  At first I thought Phoenix Roebelenii, after a closer examination it looks like an old pygmy Butia.  It's a sweet looking palm and wanted to share.  I would like one for myself now.  What do you think? 
       

×
×
  • Create New...