IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Patrick Schafer Hybrids

Fallen Munk

3 hours ago, Mattpalm28 said:

Anyone had any issues being sent to the uk? Mine were stopped at customs 

That's always a risk, especially without the proper phytosanitary certification.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Swolte said:

Just wondering, will customs return to sender or are these palms lost?

Even if they did a “return to sender” from NorCal to UK (camping out in Customs for ?? days) then back across the pond to NorCal that would be asking a lot from a liner sized Palm. Once intercepted they probably became property of the Queen and their undignified demise will be to just wither away in a customs warehouse somewhere, with some spurious label slapped on to warn of the potential dire contents of said cardboard box.

Such a shame that all the effort and time that went into making the hybrid(s) and to then have them cross the ocean and never be able to literally have their day in the sun. Truly unfortunate all around.

Sorry for your loss Matt, I know how much shipping to Texas cost me, I can only imagine how much UK shipping must have added to your total.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dwarf Fan said:

Even if they did a “return to sender” from NorCal to UK (camping out in Customs for ?? days) then back across the pond to NorCal that would be asking a lot from a liner sized Palm. Once intercepted they probably became property of the Queen and their undignified demise will be to just wither away in a customs warehouse somewhere, with some spurious label slapped on to warn of the potential dire contents of said cardboard box.

Such a shame that all the effort and time that went into making the hybrid(s) and to then have them cross the ocean and never be able to literally have their day in the sun. Truly unfortunate all around.

Sorry for your loss Matt, I know how much shipping to Texas cost me, I can only imagine how much UK shipping must have added to your total.

RIP Elizabeth 

• 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Mattpalm28 said:

Received my hybrid palms from Patric today 

IMG_7996.jpeg

IMG_7997.jpeg

Wow, did they finally make it out of customs…? Or did Mr. Schafer fix things for you?

5 minutes ago, Scott W said:

Congrats!  What'd you get?

Yes do tell what did you pick/end up with?

@Scott W I got butia x butia/queen. I just love butia hybrid palms. @Dwarf Fan I re ordered some. Sadly the first ones got distorted by customs. I have been desperate to get hold of some of Patrick’s hybrids. Trying to get my hands on some in the uk is practically impossible! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mattpalm28 said:

@Scott W I got butia x butia/queen. I just love butia hybrid palms. @Dwarf Fan I re ordered some. Sadly the first ones got distorted by customs. I have been desperate to get hold of some of Patrick’s hybrids. Trying to get my hands on some in the uk is practically impossible! 

Matt, I am glad your story has a happy ending, albeit a costly one, the fact that you had the tenacity to reorder and risk possible confiscation again shows not only an unflinching dedication to the hobby but also some grit on your part.

That whole not letting the Govt dictate your pursuit of happiness certainly resonates here in the USA and of course here in Texas. 

Score one for the little guy, glad your Schafer Butia Hybrid is now safely in your garden, way to not take no for an answer, tip of the cowboy hat in your direction from the Lone Star State.

Here is my:

P. schafer BUTIA X BUTIA/QUEEN

78366BBC-216D-4DF0-8DDA-6CA5346334AB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@Dwarf Fan thank you for the kind words. 
I wasn’t going to give up and I will most definitely be ordering more in the future. 

I just love the tropical look for the hybrids and knowing I can grow them in the uk is a bonus. 

How old is your butia x butia/queen?

I have a few normal butia and they seem quite fast growing in the uk south climate 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mattpalm28 said:

@Dwarf Fan thank you for the kind words. 
I wasn’t going to give up and I will most definitely be ordering more in the future. 

I just love the tropical look for the hybrids and knowing I can grow them in the uk is a bonus. 

How old is your butia x butia/queen?

I have a few normal butia and they seem quite fast growing in the uk south climate 

I like your style Matt, I also want a VERY tropical looking Palm collection but our cold winters won’t allow me to sustain a Cocos Nucifera, even with all our high temperatures during summer, so Mr. Schafer’s Hybrids become an indispensable solution.

Patrix hybrids, once established, should grow very vigorously and quickly compared to a non-hybrid Butia.

I received my BUTIA X BUTIA/QUEEN on October 13, 2023 the pic above was taken December 9, 2023.

It came from Patrix Fall palms list 9/5/2023.

I ordered several others as well as some larger sized hybrids.

BUTIA PARAGUAYENSIS X MONTY (3”x9” Size & Liner Size):F83A2227-24BD-4025-AFF7-E1B953BC58DE.thumb.jpeg.1b542aba5bcfd090ae8f919aaf3ced63.jpeg

BUTIA X SYAGRUS CORONATA/QUEEN 5G Size:

92BBCADB-068D-4322-9F31-914AF0F027CB.thumb.jpeg.d3bf74d622e2755fb62a1e5af2cb0c0e.jpeg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Mattpalm28 said:

@Dwarf Fan

how cold do your winters get? 

we had a terrible winter in the uk last year and I lost a few palms, including a jubaea :(

We just had a horrible winter recently as well, 2021 was referred to as “Palmageddon” it was the coldest winter in decades, it killed 1000s of Palms throughout the State.

February 15, 2021 low of 20°F (-6.6C)

February 4, 2022 low of 30°F (-1.1C)

I am hopeful for a 2023 winter like last year which should be uneventful for all my Palms, as everyone is going in ground with no protection this month. 

• 2 months later...

I tried ordering, but he just stopped responding to me randomly. That was last year at this point. 

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

I had something similar happen, I take it he is busy right now.

If anyone hears anything about his next list that is released let me know here or by Private Message. 

We were fortunate and had a low of 28F (-2.2C) here on N. Padre Island this Feb and all Patrix hybrids never stopped growing even right after the cold front!

Here are in ground pics taken today of my

BUTIA PARAGUAYENSIS X MONTY (3”x9” Size) 2/22/2024BCDB98C9-BD53-4F30-9642-4D5CF495E9B5.thumb.jpeg.601edaea4930503d1649afd83e1c8516.jpeg

BUTIA X SYAGRUS CORONATA/QUEEN (5 Gal) 2/22/2024

CB9932B4-6905-4624-B1EC-3EB1D216EA9C.thumb.jpeg.8047d0e2085557f8cfcc4715be29b3c2.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Mine are all going in the ground this summer.  The two BY x J will be planted tomorrow.  BY x PJS have already been accounted for in another area.  They are enjoying the warm Texas weather and actively growing so am happy to see that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Patrick doesn't have a list right now.  He will in the future.  He confirmed he has access to jubaea pollen but not a mother.  Be patient for a few months.

• Like 1

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

On 2/22/2024 at 2:27 PM, Dwarf Fan said:

I had something similar happen, I take it he is busy right now.

I just checked my email, it was September of last year. I was almost ready to place an order and he ghosted me. I selected 1 palm that had sold out, and wanted to sub another in its place and he stopped responding. 

Based on what I've read it reminded me of the soup guy in Seinfeld. Maybe I said something wrong? 🤔 

Maybe I'll try again at some point in the future. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fr8train said:

I just checked my email, it was September of last year. I was almost ready to place an order and he ghosted me. I selected 1 palm that had sold out, and wanted to sub another in its place and he stopped responding. 

Based on what I've read it reminded me of the soup guy in Seinfeld. Maybe I said something wrong? 🤔 

Maybe I'll try again at some point in the future. 🤷‍♂️ 

That was right around the time he started doing a TON of order fulfillment, you probably just got lost in the shuffle, my experience is Patrix is he is very kind, highly intelligent and extremely generous but the man doesn’t have much time for individual “chit chat” online. You really have to be brief (also don’t piss him off) and just follow his lead and be patient, that is my best advice. You can always check in, but don’t be bothersome or annoy him, the man has a ton going on and he can only do so much, considering he has so many people to communicate with and ship to worldwide.

• Like 3

He was very quick to respond to my inquiries, but I kept it concise and to the point.  There was a problem with the tracking number and he got it sorted right away and was very communicative.  Good experience for me.  I'm pretty sure he's a one man show so I imagine things can get overwhelming at times.

• Like 3

I don't think I've ever chit chatted with someone while ordering something online, but I'll keep that in mind. :winkie: