IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Patrick Schafer Hybrids

Fallen Munk

Placed an order yesterday for one of his BXJ. Should be shipping Monday! Looking forward to trying this hybrid at my new 8A property in MS. 

• Like 1

beautiful palms!  Patric is the man!  here is my Jubaea x B. yatay, about 2 feet tall now.

137359932_10164545885600640_8805654200074155810_n.jpg

Edited by Palm D
  • Like 5

@TonyDFW Your BxJ looks very much like pics I have seen of B.Capitata var strictor. Without anything for scale im sure your BxJ has a much thicker trunk ? 

T J 

On 1/9/2021 at 9:17 AM, Palm D said:

beautiful palms!  Patric is the man!  here is my Jubaea x B. yatay, about 2 feet tall now.

137359932_10164545885600640_8805654200074155810_n.jpg

Nice specimen.  How long have you had it?  Trying to gauge what kind of growth I can expect from mine here in the PNW.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

Nice specimen.  How long have you had it?  Trying to gauge what kind of growth I can expect from mine here in the PNW.

I now know of 3 of you guys with these palms in the PNW, these palms are exceedingly rare especially in our area.  If @Palm crazy ever got back on the forum he has many different hybrid palms that he would be able to share his experience about.  I do know he has one of those J x Y from Patric that he got a while back.  He's in an even colder spot than the rest of us.

I'll make sure to to get one as well this spring to add to the database.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

I have this palm. A bit larger then yours but one of my favorites :greenthumb:

older picture , JxY on left YxJ on the right . 

5E15D391-3B97-4DC3-B46D-96D6B71843FF.jpeg

Edited by RJ
  • Like 3

Anyone tried transplanting Butia x PJ? I've just assumed they'll transplant well because of the Butia parentage, but I guess I should've thought more about this when planting them.

Received my Butia X. Jubea from Patrick today. Shipped Monday, arrived in good condition. He said he didn't have a Yatay X. Jubea when I ordered, and wasn't sure which Butia this was from from, but I'm hopeful it will have similar characteristics and appearance as some of the others posted, and that it will survive here in my Zone8A/8B area of Mississippi, which is very similar to the climate in Dallas where some of the specimens in this thread appear to be thriving. 

IMG_7215.jpg

• Like 2

@teaksmith Whatever hybrid it ends up being it already has alot more Jubaea characteristics. Which is my preference,  so with hybrid vigor you should be a happy camper. 

T J 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@teaksmith Whatever hybrid it ends up being it already has alot more Jubaea characteristics. Which is my preference,  so with hybrid vigor you should be a happy camper. 

Good to know. This is my first Jubaea of any type, so I'm looking forward to seeing those characteristics as it grows. I have several Butia doing well here and a few Mule Palms that I hope will make it as well.

On 1/12/2021 at 10:01 PM, Fallen Munk said:

Only about 6 months, but it grew a bit already.  I gather it will be a lot faster than a pure Jubaea!  At least, it better be. Lol 

• Like 1

@TonyDFW Is the fruit edible like a normal Butia ? I have heard Jubaea fruit is edible also, but not as good as Butia. Wondering what this hybrid produces. 

• Like 1

T J 

On 1/15/2021 at 10:13 AM, TonyDFW said:

The fruit is exceptional in flavor. Much better and sweeter than the odorata I have in my garden. 

Wow I gotta try it now, thanks for the insight 

T J 

T J 

WOW, all nice hybrids for sure. My BxJ you can't even see the Jubea in it; it doesn't look like a regular Butia either and I got it from Patric too. I think it might be an f2 or something. 

Here is my J x B f2, which looks really different from others. I almost think it is b x J, but I am not sure.  Photo is from today. 

DSC_0061.jpg

• Like 3

Here is my Jubaea x Butia Yatay hybrid, one of 4 I purchased as liners in March 2019.  I bought 2 each of BYxJ and JxBY.  One of the BYxJ died in late 2019 of unknown causes.  This one missed getting demolished 2 weeks ago when the tree guys were here cutting down an 80' tall pine.  The idiot decided to behead it at 50' up, so a 30' long chunk snapped the rope and landed in the middle of the bed.  One branch stabbed into the ground only a few inches away, basically right where the concrete block is sitting.  It was pure luck.  I planted it in mid-November 2020, hopefully it'll get moving this year!

1278115072_P1070359JxBY.thumb.JPG.99e9a71766c332c9f9820c541eb517fb.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Merlyn said:

Here is my Jubaea x Butia Yatay hybrid, one of 4 I purchased as liners in March 2019.  I bought 2 each of BYxJ and JxBY.  One of the BYxJ died in late 2019 of unknown causes.  This one missed getting demolished 2 weeks ago when the tree guys were here cutting down an 80' tall pine.  The idiot decided to behead it at 50' up, so a 30' long chunk snapped the rope and landed in the middle of the bed.  One branch stabbed into the ground only a few inches away, basically right where the concrete block is sitting.  It was pure luck.  I planted it in mid-November 2020, hopefully it'll get moving this year!

1278115072_P1070359JxBY.thumb.JPG.99e9a71766c332c9f9820c541eb517fb.JPG

Hi Merlyn,

Those are some choice hybrid you got. They all should grow fast in you climate and look really awesome in no time. B. yatay is one of my favorite palms with its long arching leaves. Here's a thought don't over look the queen hybrids they would do great in your climate also. Something totally different for you to show off in your area.  I have one interesting mule palm that has done really good for me with overhead protection... X Butiagrus nabonnandii. Been in the ground for at least 10 years if not more. Originated from Florida, haven't have any problem with it yet. 

Thank goodness the pine tree miss you new palms. Can't wait to see future picture of your mule palms. 

Thanks for sharing! :D

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Here's a thought don't over look the queen hybrids they would do great in your climate also.

Unfortunately there is a lot of Fusarium around here, so queen hybrids are probably 50% susceptible to it.  I lost a 15' tall nontrunking queen last spring. so far the other queens and my 1 mule are okay.  So I have avoid Syagrus hybrids, but i might consider Parajubaea hybrids in the future.

2 hours ago, Merlyn said:

Unfortunately there is a lot of Fusarium around here, so queen hybrids are probably 50% susceptible to it.  I lost a 15' tall nontrunking queen last spring. so far the other queens and my 1 mule are okay.  So I have avoid Syagrus hybrids, but i might consider Parajubaea hybrids in the future.

Wow never heard of Fusarium.  Parajubaea hybrids would be cool for sure. :greenthumb:

Edited by Paradise Found
misspelled palm name

18 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Wow never heard of Fusarium.  Parajubaea hybrids would be cool for sure. :greenthumb:

There's been a few Washingtonia deaths here recently that appear to be due to fusarium.  A couple of them were just five or six miles from my house.  :(  Hoping my BxS mules stay safe from it.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

• 2 weeks later...

how do i purchase palms from patrik?

just for when I email him I need to know how do I say his name patric patrik patriv patrix you stated he has many names

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

On 1/20/2021 at 7:27 PM, Fusca said:

There's been a few Washingtonia deaths here recently that appear to be due to fusarium.  A couple of them were just five or six miles from my house.  :(  Hoping my BxS mules stay safe from it.

I hope it doesn't make it this far north, maybe to wet for the little buggers. :angry:

• Upvote 1

One month update.  Here's the comparison for the last months growth.  I had to pot up to 5 gallon.  The Y X J was almost root bound, and the J X Y was circling pretty good.  First photo is from one month ago, second photo is from today.  The smaller one actually lost a whole frond since then from the damage it got in shipping but it appears it only made it madder.  From the photos it looks like they are about the same size that they were a month ago because the pots got bigger.  Very happy with the growth so far for this time of year.  Come summer these are going to rocket!

hybrids5.jpg

hybrids6.jpg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Fallen Munk Nice growing there looking awfully happy. 

nice oxymoron :greenthumb:

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

17 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Fallen Munk Nice growing there looking awfully happy. 

Thanks!  I'm really impressed with the growth rate.  When I first got them as band size and potted them up to one gallon pots I got some flack from people on one of the FB palm groups for going up too fast.  Well they were wrong.  After one month, that big one was pot bound and the smaller one was close to being pot bound.  I don't like to see roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.  The first root I see, it's time to go up a size.  That's how you get potted palms to grow as fast as palms in the ground.  The limiting factor at some point, the pot required would be so enormous that you have no choice but to plant it in the ground if you want it to grow much bigger.  At the rate these guys are growing, I suspect in two to three months they will be needing to go up to a really big pot, or go straight to the ground. 

As a reminder, this was just two months ago after I put them in one gallon pots..

hybrids.jpg

Edited by Fallen Munk
Added photo

46 minutes ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

How do you contact Patric Shafer?

Coolhybrids@yahoo.com 

Others have said to be patient waiting for a reply, ask what he's got in stock, and be very specific about what you want. Somebody compared ordering from him to a drug deal lol. IE in and out no chit chat. And they're not cheap. 

• Like 1

Watch what you write he does come on here, and maybe edit the email from your post and pm him it. The last thing we need is Patric having to wade through even more junk inquiries to find legitimate orders. I talked to him last week and all he has ready for now are “Dicks Mutant” Chamaerops and Beaucarnea Stricta. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

I talked to him last week and all he has ready for now are “Dicks Mutant” Chamaerops and Beaucarnea Stricta. 

Good to hear he is doing well.  He had a pretty full list a few months ago.

• 1 month later...

March photo.  Still getting fast growth, but some yellowing on the YXJ.  Not sure what's causing that.  The smaller JXY is starting to catch up.

hybrids7.jpg

Edited by Fallen Munk

I think I know why I'm getting yellowing on the fronds.  They needed flushed.  I've been housing these in a grow room and watering them just enough to slightly weep out of the drainage holes.  When I potted them up I mixed in some palm fertilizer.  If they don't get flushed all winter long, I imagine that you can get quite a bit of salt buildup.  I drenched them real well.

hybrids8.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 12/27/2020 at 4:04 PM, Fallen Munk said:

Decided to start a thread to keep track of the growth of these two hybrids that I got from Patrick Schafer on December 5th.  yatay X jubaea and jubaea X yatay.  The smaller of the two is the jubaea X yatay and it took some damage in shipping but it's doing fine.  The yatay X jubaea is the bigger of the two and it also has some damage from the tag being tied tight and high up on the meristem.  Leaves are coming out a bit deformed from that, but it will grow out of it.  They are putting on some good growth in the three weeks since they arrived.  First photo is right after they arrived and I potted them up on Dec. 5th, second photo is today, Dec 27th.  They went full pinnate about a week after they arrived.  I'll try to update this thread about once per month with some growth updates.

hybrids.jpg

hybrids5.jpg

How can I get in touch with Patrick?