IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Patrick Schafer Hybrids

Fallen Munk

Decided to start a thread to keep track of the growth of these two hybrids that I got from Patrick Schafer on December 5th.  yatay X jubaea and jubaea X yatay.  The smaller of the two is the jubaea X yatay and it took some damage in shipping but it's doing fine.  The yatay X jubaea is the bigger of the two and it also has some damage from the tag being tied tight and high up on the meristem.  Leaves are coming out a bit deformed from that, but it will grow out of it.  They are putting on some good growth in the three weeks since they arrived.  First photo is right after they arrived and I potted them up on Dec. 5th, second photo is today, Dec 27th.  They went full pinnate about a week after they arrived.  I'll try to update this thread about once per month with some growth updates.

hybrids.jpg

hybrids5.jpg

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, Josh76 said:

That's some great growth in just three weeks... especially given the time of year! :greenthumb:

Yeah, I'm very impressed with that so far.  Especially since in my experience they tend to sulk a bit when you pot them up to a bigger size.  These are already sending roots out of the drainage holes of the new pots.  I'm not sure if I want to pot them up to 5 gallon or go straight into the ground in the spring.

• Like 1

What is it you want out of this hybrid. I see both are trunking pinnates. Are you looking for faster growth?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GregVirginia7 said:

What is it you want out of this hybrid. I see both are trunking pinnates. Are you looking for faster growth?

Yes.  I think that's why these hybrids exist.  A faster growing Jubaea with minimal look of a Butia.  I think that's why he uses yatay because it's less recurved usually.

I bought the same two hybrid (from PS) and gave my son the Y x J, as he preferred to have what should be the faster of the two hybrids....   when I received my specimens (Dec 2019) they were smaller in size.   The ones you received might be from the same batch, as mine now looks similar to yours pictured here.   The J x Y I kept is still in a one gal pot and I might bump it up in the spring...   at present I plan to keep it in a pot for a couple of years, due to the lack of a proper place to plant it. 

Look forward to seeing up dates on your palms !

• Like 1

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

42 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

@Fallen Munk what did these run you if you don't mind me asking? 

I don't remember exactly but I think about $75 ea.  They were under $200 shipped.  The J x Y was a bit more than the Y x J for some reason.  And that's the smaller of the two.

That's really not too bad. I've paid around that for a couple of my more normal and boring palms. 

3 hours ago, iamjv said:

when I received my specimens (Dec 2019) they were smaller in size.   The ones you received might be from the same batch, as mine now looks similar to yours pictured here.   

Likely.  I paid a bit more for the bigger "band size" rather than "liner".  You probably bought the liner size back in 2019.  I'm assuming that your Jubaea dominant is growing slower than the Yatay dominant?

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

That's really not too bad. I've paid around that for a couple of my more normal and boring palms. 

Agreed.  I could have saved a bit more by getting liner size but it was only about $15-$20 difference I think.    Worth paying just a bit extra to shave off a year or two of waiting for them to grow.

• Like 1

Good Lord that's gorgeous @TonyDFW

I need to get a house so I'll have room for more palms. Y'all are a terrible influence. 

Edited by JohnAndSancho
Tagged owner
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, TonyDFW said:

Here is my yatay x Jubea hybrid from Patric. Growing in Dallas. If has been a moderate to fast grower. 

Massive growth for 4 years!  I hope mine grows that fast!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyDFW said:

Here is my yatay x Jubea hybrid from Patric. Growing in Dallas. If has been a moderate to fast grower. 

92AFBECC-D37F-40D9-8AED-59C9BC56FA3D.jpeg

That's beautiful! Going to be a beast in another 5 years or so.

How hardy do you anticipate these being? I wish I could find a pinnate palm hardy enough to survive long term here in Raleigh, NC. People try butias and they usually do well for several years before being taken out by an arctic blast. 

4 hours ago, knikfar said:

How hardy do you anticipate these being? I wish I could find a pinnate palm hardy enough to survive long term here in Raleigh, NC. People try butias and they usually do well for several years before being taken out by an arctic blast. 

If a Butia can't survive in your area, I'd seriously doubt that these would either.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:40 AM, Fallen Munk said:

Likely.  I paid a bit more for the bigger "band size" rather than "liner".  You probably bought the liner size back in 2019.  I'm assuming that your Jubaea dominant is growing slower than the Yatay dominant?

You may be correct on the liner versus band size!   There was a size difference to begin with, the Y x J being larger of the two and the last time I saw the Y x J at my son house, it's even bigger now....

Tony's up in Dallas looks amazing....  I'm hoping these look similar !!!

Jv

• Like 1

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

2 hours ago, 96720 said:

Those are beautiful palms! How do you get a response from Patrick

First,  make sure you have the right email address.  coolhybrids@yahoo.com is the current one.

Then ask for his available palms list and be patient.

And finally, know what you want without a bunch of back and forth.  Both the species and the size.  You will find his communication short and to the point and I get the impression he doesn't want a new friend so just take care of business.  Imagine a drug deal, except with palms and everything will go smooth.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

First,  make sure you have the right email address.  coolhybrids@yahoo.com is the current one.

Then ask for his available palms list and be patient.

And finally, know what you want without a bunch of back and forth.  Both the species and the size.  You will find his communication short and to the point and I get the impression he doesn't want a new friend so just take care of business.  Imagine a drug deal, except with palms and everything will go smooth.

This is hilarious.

Also, know that Patric reads every post on this board - when he is over here hybridizing, he's always commenting on something I said or posted on PT.

I definitely do consider Patric a friend - he may be an acquired taste, but you serve my palette well, Patric. :D

• Like 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

8 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

This is hilarious.

Also, know that Patric reads every post on this board - when he is over here hybridizing, he's always commenting on something I said or posted on PT.

I definitely do consider Patric a friend - he may be an acquired taste, but you serve my palette well, Patric. :D

Patric is the boss. He probably has no idea who I am, but I've ordered a lot from him. Requested three or four JxS at once and was told no, only one at time. :lol:

The BxPJTs are growing at an amazing rate and look really unique.  My BxPJSs are also picking up steam. Really grateful for his work.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, necturus said:

Patric is the boss. He probably has no idea who I am, but I've ordered a lot from him. Requested three or four JxS at once and was told no, only one at time. :lol:

The BxPJTs are growing at an amazing rate and look really unique.  My BxPJSs are also picking up steam. Really grateful for his work.

It's going to be interesting to see what the Monty hybrids he is creating here turn into.  I'm excited for that.

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

14 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

This is hilarious.

Well said.  I do wonder why so many friends of his spell his first name wrong though.  FWIW, in his correspondence with me he spells it Patrick with a "k".

54 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

Well said.  I do wonder why so many friends of his spell his first name wrong though.  FWIW, in his correspondence with me he spells it Patrick with a "k".

You will note he uses different spellings - usually without a "k."

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

23 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

Typically, he's spelled it Patric in his emails to me over the past 12 years. Recently, he's spelled it Patrix in his last few emails. He's also spelled it Patriv. He's an artist. He can call himself whatever he pleases. I'm just thankful. :) 

• Like 6

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

54 minutes ago, buffy said:

Typically, he's spelled it Patric in his emails to me over the past 12 years. Recently, he's spelled it Patrix in his last few emails. He's also spelled it Patriv. He's an artist. He can call himself whatever he pleases. I'm just thankful. :) 

Well sure.  I was just trying to be polite to him as possible and felt a bit embarrassed that I might have spelled his name wrong in my first correspondence.  Probably just a big pet peeve of mine when someone contacts me and spells my name wrong, or calls me by the wrong name totally.   It's just a personal thing for me, forget I mentioned it please. 

I have many hybrids from Patric in my garden, here's a few pics of them

yatay x jub in the back

50435118368_0d9aa82cb7_c.jpg

Bp x PJc

50312468097_5af8a54570_c.jpg

On the left Jub x queen

50743524408_86d8fa2294_c.jpg

shade grown yatay x queen

50435974302_9f8610e6d5_c.jpg

Edited by alohas
synthaxe
  • Like 15
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alohas said:

I have many hybrids from Patric in my garden, here's a few pics of them

Wow, those are all really nice!

• Like 2

Hello Alohas, very nice hybrids. Amazing! What are the lowest temps they survived? Thank you. Happy Growing Oliver

Thanks ! 

Lowest temp they were confronted with was 19°F. There was also à few ice days (max temp 32). 

Jub x queen seems really bulletproof, very fast grower too.

Beautiful garden and palms, alohas! I enjoy looking at Le Forum des Fous de palmiers even though it's hard to follow through Google Translate. You all are definitely pushing the boundaries of what can be grown in your beautiful country.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, necturus said:

Beautiful garden and palms, alohas! I enjoy looking at Le Forum des Fous de palmiers even though it's hard to follow through Google Translate. You all are definitely pushing the boundaries of what can be grown in your beautiful country.

Thank you! I didn't suspect that Le Forum des Fous de Palmiers had international readers!

29 minutes ago, 96720 said:

What’s a monty hybrid?

I wondered the same thing a few months ago but Ben put it together for me.  Patric is creating one particular hybrid using pollen from Ben's Syagrus schizophillia x Syagrus romanzoffiana (otherwise known as "coco queen" or Syagrus x montgomeryana) to pollinate Butia.  He calls it Butia x Monty.

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 2

Jon Sunder

@Fallen Munk pure opinion question but do you think one of the yatay x jubia hybrids would do decent in a pot on a patio for a year or 2? I'm giving away a queen and a majesty and I have no idea when I'll own a home when I can stick it in the dirt. 

SETX for what it matters. Just about in the middle between Houston and Dallas, and I've seen how well they do in Dallas 

Edited by JohnAndSancho
Added location

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

@Fallen Munk pure opinion question but do you think one of the yatay x jubia hybrids would do decent in a pot on a patio for a year or 2? I'm giving away a queen and a majesty and I have no idea when I'll own a home when I can stick it in the dirt. 

SETX for what it matters. Just about in the middle between Houston and Dallas, and I've seen how well they do in Dallas 

Yes, but growth will be slower IMO.   And you'd have to be careful to make sure it got frequent water because pots dry out quickly and I've noticed that my Jubaea and Butia like water.  

• Like 1