IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Patrick Schafer Hybrids

Fallen Munk

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Here some updated pics of my BxLytoWedd and BxPJT 

I've been considering one of the torallyi hybrids.....

• Like 1

OC2palmlover those look great.  How old?

Looking at his lineup, aside from Jubaea x Butia and Butia x Yatay (which I guess is B odorata x B yatay?), I'm trying to figure out what the next most hardy cross is. There was an older thread here where a guy had posted that his Butia x PJb cocoides had survived a dry 12F.  And I believe cocoides is the least hardy of those three species but it seems like no one agrees on how hardy sunkha or torallyi are.  

2 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

I've been considering one of the torallyi hybrids.....

I'm a sucker for ginormous palms haha Since noone is growing pure Torallyi in my area hoping this hybrid has a good chance as long as we don't have another Palmageddon =( 

1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

I believe cocoides is the least hardy of those three species

That's why I went with Torallyi,  Sunkha if you prefer a smaller version. 

T J 

T J 

I would think Parajubaea sunkha is the hardiest, the least fuzzy and more tolerant of humidity. My BXSunkha is still too small.  

PXL_20210914_205739816.PORTRAIT.jpg

• Like 2

Patric emailed me back.  I believe he'd like for me to pass on that his address is

Coolhybrids@yahoo.com.  and if you use the wild blue, you will not reach him.  

Regarding hardiness, Patric said, 

"BJXQ is maybe hardier then BXQ  , would depend on how the DNA got set
JXB would be hardier to dry cold but maybe not wet cold"

And Parajubaea torallyi is still kind of an unknown, it's from a dry climate and seems to handle dry cold better than wet.  

I plan to get some Jubaea x Butia, but I am a little concerned about how it will handle the wet.  Plus something more exotic and marginal..  I love lytocaryum but PJT may be more hardy... hard to say. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

Patric emailed me back.  I believe he'd like for me to pass on that his address is

Coolhybrids@yahoo.com.  and if you use the wild blue, you will not reach him.  

Regarding hardiness, Patric said, 

"BJXQ is maybe hardier then BXQ  , would depend on how the DNA got set
JXB would be hardier to dry cold but maybe not wet cold"

And Parajubaea torallyi is still kind of an unknown, it's from a dry climate and seems to handle dry cold better than wet.  

I plan to get some Jubaea x Butia, but I am a little concerned about how it will handle the wet.  Plus something more exotic and marginal..  I love lytocaryum but PJT may be more hardy... hard to say. 

FYI - There are straight torallyi in Seattle and BC so it seems they can handle cool and damp.  BxPJT is the one I would get, maybe in spring.

• Like 1

This can't be right... from Palmpedia... 

Parajubaea torallyi, commonly known as the Palma De Pasobaya or Bolivian Mountain Coconut. It is endemic to Bolivia, where it grows in dry forest on steep rocky slopes at 2,400-3,400 meters altitude, and is now threatened by habitat loss. Mature plants can be over 13 meters in height. They can withstand temperatures of -13 degrees Celsius. (emphasis mine)

If that's anywhere close to accurate, you'd think you'd see a lot more of them.  And Butia x PJT should be dang near bullet proof.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

This can't be right... from Palmpedia... 

Parajubaea torallyi, commonly known as the Palma De Pasobaya or Bolivian Mountain Coconut. It is endemic to Bolivia, where it grows in dry forest on steep rocky slopes at 2,400-3,400 meters altitude, and is now threatened by habitat loss. Mature plants can be over 13 meters in height. They can withstand temperatures of -13 degrees Celsius. (emphasis mine)

If that's anywhere close to accurate, you'd think you'd see a lot more of them.  And Butia x PJT should be dang near bullet proof.  

I can personally attest that they are very difficult to grow in Seattle. I consider myself a great gardener and good palm grower and I have killed 4 large Parajubaea torralyi var. torralyi now. My Butia x Ptvt is doing phenomenal however.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, matthedlund said:

I can personally attest that they are very difficult to grow in Seattle. I consider myself a great gardener and good palm grower and I have killed 4 large Parajubaea torralyi var. torralyi now. My Butia x Ptvt is doing phenomenal however.

That is great to know.  Thanks for filling us in, this would probably be number one on my wish list of palms that have a real shot of surviving.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Chester B said:

That is great to know.  Thanks for filling us in, this would probably be number one on my wish list of palms that have a real shot of surviving.

Besides a JxS I'm guessing =) That hybrid is still #1 on my wish list!!! 

T J 

• Like 2

T J 

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Besides a JxS I'm guessing =) That hybrid is still #1 on my wish list!!! 

T J 

Right. I agree, these two are tied for me, forgot about that one. Couldn’t agree more  

• Like 1

Officially joined the Shafer train.  Got my order today, BJxSyagrus, Butia x PJ torallyi, B yatay x Jubaea, and hiding in the back is the larger size Jubaea x B yatay. 

Once I got the right email address, communication with Patric was quite easy.  

Into the growbox they go.... after I clear out some space as it's already full. 

20211023_151544.jpg

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

Officially joined the Shafer train.  Got my order today, BJxSyagrus, Butia x PJ torallyi, B yatay x Jubaea, and hiding in the back is the larger size Jubaea x B yatay. 

Once I got the right email address, communication with Patric was quite easy.  

Into the growbox they go.... after I clear out some space as it's already full. 

20211023_151544.jpg

That’s a great feeling to receive something like that!! Must be how a woman feels to receive roses except better lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jtee said:

That’s a great feeling to receive something like that!! Must be how a woman feels to receive roses except better lol

And pricier!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Wow you didn't mess around pulled the trigger and look what you got. I think I asked the wrong question and have been on hold for a week haha That BxPJT will be a beast once in the ground. 

T J 

T J 

Sweet Score!  :shaka-2:   

Are you happy now? You Waited long enough. 

Edited by Paradise Found

16 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Sweet Score!  :shaka-2:   

Are you happy now? You Waited long enough. 

Hope that doesn't sound rude.....? I think you have more hybrids than me.  I've got five.  

No not rude but I wasn't sure what you meant.  I tried to reach Patrick this spring, but I had the wrong email address.  Once I got the right one, it only took a few days so there was almost no wait.  Patric/Patrick/Patrix was emailing me just about every 24 hours so I feel like I got pretty lucky and things went pretty quick.  

I guess I have two more hybrids than you now, but two of mine are the same thing (Butiagrus).  And you have a couple that are fully established whereas mine are all brand new and still liner-sized.  

So when does Patrick get his own scientific naming convention?  Jubutiagrus patrixensis?  Parabutia shaferii?  

3 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

So when does Patrick get his own scientific naming convention?  Jubutiagrus patrixensis?  Parabutia shaferii?  

:D .... He can called them whatever he wants as long as he keeps making them.....:D

The ones you got sure have nice fat trunks for seedlings.  

8 hours ago, Eric33 said:

Received last week, from left to right

- Jubaea x Butia yatay

- Washingtonia x

- Butia x Parajubaea Tor.

Nice choices and Welcome to Palm Talk 

T J 

T J 

Any thoughts on Butia x Parajubaea types in swampy central Florida?  Patric has hybrids with Torallyi, Sunhka and Cocoides right now, I was thinking of getting a couple for my nursery area.  Parajubaea seems to hate the daily summer thunderstorms here, but there's at least a couple of Sunkha in the forums, I think @Kailua_Krish had a nice one growing back in 2019.  I've read about the "sudden death syndrome" on Parajubaea, but I'm not sure if any of the three are more or less susceptible.  Opinions?

1 hour ago, Merlyn said:

Any thoughts on Butia x Parajubaea types in swampy central Florida?  Patric has hybrids with Torallyi, Sunhka and Cocoides right now, I was thinking of getting a couple for my nursery area.  Parajubaea seems to hate the daily summer thunderstorms here, but there's at least a couple of Sunkha in the forums, I think @Kailua_Krish had a nice one growing back in 2019.  I've read about the "sudden death syndrome" on Parajubaea, but I'm not sure if any of the three are more or less susceptible.  Opinions?

Mine is still doing very well and tolerated being flooded for 3-4 days a couple of years ago (I forgot which hurricane it was). I don’t remember off the top of my head which PJ species was used in my hybrid

• Like 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I think they'll all do well in Florida. In Houston BxPJT seems most vigorous, but I think they all take off once they reach a certain size.

I haven't figured out what to order next, but here is a current photo of my in-ground Jubaea x Butia Yatay...weeds for scale!  I bought this in early 2019 as a strap leaf liner, and tortured it in pots until late 2020.  The base is about 3-4" diameter now, and has grown a LOT more than the BxJ and JxB that I still have in pots.  And it is not suffering from the constant yellowing that I saw in pots, so it is definitely time to plant the other two!

1798205470_P1080750JubaeaxButia.thumb.JPG.780ad1308b7442560c5af2d8ac5ec1cd.JPG

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

New member of the family JxBY in 4x10 I tried this in band size already and killed it. I believe from babying it too much in my garage container farm. This one will be out in the weather next to the pure Jubaea. The Jubaea has been with me for 3 years now from a band size I got from @Phil Definitely hoping this hybrid grows much faster then its pure sibling. 

T J 

20220103_144450.jpg

• Like 4

T J 

I decided on my next purchase!  I bought three Butia x Lytocaryum Weddelliana and one Butia x Parajubaea Sunkha.  Here's a group photo when they arrived, followed by an up close of the liners.  I stepped these up to 1g for the winter and will plant at least one or two out in the spring:

343911345_P1080805Patrickbutiahybrids.thumb.JPG.c19d7716588ee5f85ce94ae0fb666fe7.JPG

1820722511_P1080806Patrickbutiahybrids.thumb.JPG.ac8fed464dc6350477fe0b3ca43b58c1.JPG

• Like 3

11 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

New member of the family JxBY in 4x10 I tried this in band size already and killed it. I believe from babying it too much in my garage container farm. This one will be out in the weather next to the pure Jubaea. The Jubaea has been with me for 3 years now from a band size I got from @Phil Definitely hoping this hybrid grows much faster then its pure sibling. 

T J 

20220103_144450.jpg

Did you just get this? Was told there were no more jubae x yatay, But maybe he misunderstood me because then he sold me a 5gal jub x butia that was "likely Yatay" when he said he had bigger size... hmmmm. I got 2 Yatay x jub but wanted the reverse also for comparisons.. no worries, though I now have to refrain myself from emailing Patrick and asking for more palms! Because I Also want that B x lyto, and yatay x queen, even thinking about the dicks mutant but I havent decided if i like that one yet.

12 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

I decided on my next purchase!  I bought three Butia x Lytocaryum Weddelliana and one Butia x Parajubaea Sunkha.  Here's a group photo when they arrived, followed by an up close of the liners.  I stepped these up to 1g for the winter and will plant at least one or two out in the spring:

343911345_P1080805Patrickbutiahybrids.thumb.JPG.c19d7716588ee5f85ce94ae0fb666fe7.JPG

1820722511_P1080806Patrickbutiahybrids.thumb.JPG.ac8fed464dc6350477fe0b3ca43b58c1.JPG

Nice choices! That B x Lytocaryum should be nice. Here’s my Patrick B x PJ Sunkha.

2A5B8F27-A18B-48BA-A976-0ACD96C540FC.jpeg

8B63DCE9-C4C7-4EB7-AED3-4C0EBCE3A619.jpeg

051B8E5F-755A-4C1F-8181-2FBB3D30056D.jpeg

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

I decided on my next purchase!  I bought three Butia x Lytocaryum Weddelliana and one Butia x Parajubaea Sunkha.  

Very nice choices!!!  I wish I had ordered a Butia x Parajubaea, but oh well, maybe in the future.  What's the dimensions on those band pots?

With my eleven Lytocaryum hoehnei starting to enter the flowering stages that's a cross that I intend to start doing myself.   Have the same amount of weddellianum but they might be a couple years out from flowering.

4 minutes ago, Scott W said:

Very nice choices!!!  I wish I had ordered a Butia x Parajubaea, but oh well, maybe in the future.

With my eleven Lytocaryum hoehnei starting to enter the flowering stages that's a cross that I intend to start doing myself.   Have the same amount of weddellianum but they might be a couple years out from flowering.

Yeah Scott and @NWpalms@206 I decided on the Sunkha hybrid as an experiment.  It's probably the only Parajubaea that can "sorta" tolerate the humidity in FL, so I figured it would be the best hybrid bet for good growth.  I really liked the looks of the bigger BxLW hybrid posted here earlier, only 5 years from a strap leaf in TX.  It wasn't in this thread, I can't remember who posted it:

894963582_ButiaxLytocaryum5yrfromstrapTX2.thumb.jpeg.e3f7e057389e09696980e0a75cbdbed5.jpeg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

It's probably the only Parajubaea that can "sorta" tolerate the humidity in FL, so I figured it would be the best hybrid bet for good growth.  I really liked the looks of the bigger BxLW hybrid posted here earlier, only 5 years from a strap leaf in TX.  It wasn't in this thread, I can't remember who posted it:

Yeah, that's a good looking palm for sure!!!

As for the Parajubaea, I had ordered sunkha seed from RPS but never had germination.  Germinated a handful of torallyii a few years ago, going to plant them in the ground and see how they perform.  Hoping my NE Florida climate is better suited than south Florida.  :blink:

Here's an old thread with similar...wonder how those trees look today?

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/45678-psyched-about-new-hybrids/

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

he sold me a 5gal jub x butia that was "likely Yatay

Shoot I'll trade you and pay the difference haha I always try to go larger especially anything with Jubaea. Would love to see how much larger it is then my 4x10 There are times when Patric will say he is out of something then find them randomly later. I could only imagine what his container ranch looks like :36_14_15[1]:

I love my BxLytoWedd I should get more while he still has larger ones available. I believe it was @Matt N- Dallas had a large one in the ground not sure how it did over Palmageddon. 

T J 

• Upvote 1

T J 

1 hour ago, Merlyn said:

I bought three Butia x Lytocaryum Weddelliana and one Butia x Parajubaea Sunkha. 

Nice haul :wub: I really believe that BxLytoWedd will replace your standard mule. Imo much prettier palm with atleast the same hardiness or better. 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

2 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Nice haul :wub: I really believe that BxLytoWedd will replace your standard mule. Imo much prettier palm with atleast the same hardiness or better.

Thanks!  I was actually thinking of it replacing my two queens just outside my window.  My hope was for something with a tall, reasonably narrow trunk that wasn't susceptible to Fusarium.  I lost one queen to Fusarium on the SE corner of the house, and immediately soil drenched the other 8 trunking ones with Banrot.  That was February 2020, and so far (fingers crossed) no signs of it spreading.  I tried searching for Lytocaryum + Fusarium, but couldn't find any direct references to them being susceptible.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

My hope was for something with a tall, reasonably narrow trunk that wasn't susceptible to Fusarium. 

Not sure about fusarium but I think your right about a more slender mule. 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Shoot I'll trade you and pay the difference haha I always try to go larger especially anything with Jubaea. Would love to see how much larger it is then my 4x10 There are times when Patric will say he is out of something then find them randomly later. I could only imagine what his container ranch looks like :36_14_15[1]:

I love my BxLytoWedd I should get more while he still has larger ones available. I believe it was @Matt N- Dallas had a large one in the ground not sure how it did over Palmageddon. 

T J 

Unfortunately I’m already pretty attached to it lol! Even if it’s not yatay it’s a nice JxB I believe F1.  I was actually thrilled he had a 5gal, although it was 105$ to ship 2 states away. I’ve wondered what his nursery is like, must be a sight to behold! And I also noticed yours labeled Jub x Butia like mine is. That’s what prompted me to ask him. I wonder if yours is the same “likely yatay” or for sure…either way I wish I had another just like this… whatever it is. 

0FD6BD9E-56E3-4BA8-844B-CBE2E681B544.jpeg

39296D5E-E584-4D3A-983E-F35533761842.jpeg

C95077A8-BA63-4921-8D69-CDC6DF35BAAE.jpeg

4F6CDAFC-15E6-46EF-8E33-3451C36A4768.jpeg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Unfortunately I’m already pretty attached to it lol! Even if it’s not yatay it’s a nice JxB I believe F1.

Patric is the man , definitely wish he would've found me that palm haha Whatever the price was it is well worth it !!! Good looking palm. 

T J 

• Like 1

T J