IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Patrick Schafer Hybrids

Fallen Munk

14 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

How can I get in touch with Patrick? 

The last email address I used with him was coolhybrids@wildblue.net

Hi 113˚, Lo 81˚

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

6 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

The last email address I used with him was coolhybrids@wildblue.net

coolhybrids@yahoo.com was the email address I used to buy palms off Patric in March

T J 

• Upvote 1

T J 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

coolhybrids@yahoo.com was the email address I used to buy palms off Patric in March

T J 

Thank you...

• 3 weeks later...

Thread update.  Both palms in the ground.  JxBY in morning shade (first photo) , BYXJ in morning sun (second photo).  Smaller J dominant starting to catch up to the BY dominant and looks healthier with no yellowing leaves.  Both roughly the same size now.

JubaeaXyatay2.jpg

yatayXjubaea.jpg

Edited by Fallen Munk
spelling
  • Like 5

On 1/13/2021 at 9:13 AM, Chester B said:

If @Palm crazy ever got back on the forum he has many different hybrid palms that he would be able to share his experience about.  I do know he has one of those J x Y from Patric that he got a while back.  He's in an even colder spot than the rest of us.

Ryan, I'm am here now know as paradise found. 

I don't know what happen to my J x Y, I lost some tags and a few mules died on me from lack of watering on my part last summer. I do have one Mule that make it through the drought and I think that might be my lost JxY. It just a small three leave palm. Hoping it goes pinnate this summer.  Yatay is not as hardy as Odorata but I think the Jubaea makes up for it.  

Time will tell if what i have is still JxY but right now its really slow one. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

August update.  Starting to see the difference between the two crosses.  Yatay dominant is more blue, and the fronds are tighter, stiffer and more compact.  Jubaea dominant is greener with leaves that are more open.  Both are doing well, the Yatay dominant is still slightly larger.

yatayXjubaea2.jpg

jubaeaXyatay3.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

October update.  Moved the yatay X jubaea away from the bamboo because the planter got invaded by rhizomes and they were in the palm rootball.  Didn't seem to slow it down any.  Added lots of rocks to the planters to keep the squirrels from digging up the roots.  Hasn't even been a year from strap leaf yet and these are the same size as my 4 year old Jubaea. 

jubaea X yatay

jubaeaXyatay4.jpg.b7bfc2788d13fdccb9ff2c4b015596bb.jpg

yatay X jubaea

yatayXjubaea3.jpg.e4afef526bd97e5e0aacfc51312ca7b9.jpg

• Like 5

On 1/3/2021 at 11:46 AM, Fallen Munk said:

Well said.  I do wonder why so many friends of his spell his first name wrong though.  FWIW, in his correspondence with me he spells it Patrick with a "k".

Oddly in the email I got from him yesterday to place my order he spelled it Patrix...

Jubaea x Butia purpuracens and Butia "Silva Minor" on the way....:D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

October update.  Hasn't even been a year from strap leaf yet and these are the same size as my 4 year old Jubaea. 

Impressive for sure!  Hope to see similar with the hybrid I'm getting from him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott W said:

Oddly in the email I got from him yesterday to place my order he spelled it Patrix...

I think he is messing with us, haha.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fallen Munk said:

I think he is messing with us, haha.

I think we need to start referencing when discussed and shared that these are Patrix Hybrids... he will be a legend in the palm world... also helps in keeping the histories and accuracies/integrities of the hybrids themselves especially when the seedlings start popping up F2 F3 etc..  lol.. I know this thread is aptly named..but in other threads..

My BJxB is becoming a favorite... its amazun.. I have no problem adding Patrix BJxB hybrid..  very grateful to have one really... and thankful to him it even exists.

• Like 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

7 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Patrix Hybrids... he will be a legend in the palm world

I think he already is a legend , in the cold hardy hybrid world there is no comparison. We are very lucky to have him and he will be missed when he calls it quits. So support him while we still can =) 

T J 

• Like 5

T J 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I think he already is a legend , in the cold hardy hybrid world there is no comparison. We are very lucky to have him and he will be missed when he calls it quits. So support him while we still can =) 

T J 

Yeah, I'm sure there will be a void unless someone else in California starts performing Jubaea and Parajubaea hybrids.

Local Jacksonville hybridizer Rich Lindberg is producing some cool stuff with cold hardy hybrids, but he's mostly active in the FB hybrids group.  However,  Jubaea pollen is difficult to get a hold of so he's done limited crosses using that.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Scott W said:

Local Jacksonville hybridizer Rich Lindberg is producing some cool stuff with cold hardy hybrids,

We need to get him on PT cause I'll never use Facebook haha

T J 

• Like 5

T J 

On 10/10/2021 at 7:30 PM, Scott W said:

Jubaea x Butia purpuracens and Butia "Silva Minor" on the way....:D

How is his list looking BTW?  I try really hard not to ask for updated lists from him all the time because I know it's an inconvenience and last I heard there wasn't much for sale.  Is the inventory back up?  Getting the itch to try something new.

11 minutes ago, Keys6505 said:

How is his list looking BTW?Screenshot_20211012-202625.thumb.png.fd18a828ae9ffe597eedb8a628a583b3.png

I bought Jubaea x purpuracens and Butia Silva Minor.  Thinking I should have bought a Butia x Parajubaea as well ....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I literally just emailed him on Monday hadn't gotten a reply. Was looking for larger seedlings myself. I was really surprised the size difference between liners and 8x12's well worth the added price tag imo

T J 

T J 

23 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I literally just emailed him on Monday hadn't gotten a reply. Was looking for larger seedlings myself. I was really surprised the size difference between liners and 8x12's well worth the added price tag imo

T J 

It took four days for him to reply to my price list request, then three days to reply again after I told.him what I wanted....

27 minutes ago, Scott W said:

It took four days for him to reply to my price list request, then three days to reply again after I told.him what I wanted....

Yeah I know he doesn't always reply right away kinda par for the course. It is good to know that he is still in business tho =) 

T J 

T J 

So just got the email back yesterday he was looking for larger seedlings per my request. He has larger BxPJT in 4x10 for 200$ which is a steal imo. 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

Just received a Yatay x Queen, Butia x Parajubaea Sunkha and B/J x Q from Patrick.  All came in fantastic condition and are already growing strongly in comparatively warmer/sunnier AZ 

Yep...got my email from Mr. Schafer...asked him if he could recommend a good hybrid pinnate In his stock for zone 7 and he probably confirmed what I already knew. But he did recommend I talk to the Texas crew who had a real test this past winter for Butia x ??? and to be aware that size counts among a lot of other things. I think it’s clear that zone 7 and pinnates don’t mix if you want a minimal winter protection palm. But I would ask anyone who suffered through that awful Texas and other States for that matter, historic, long term freeze...any recommendations for a Butia hybrid that can handle a normal NOVA winter with minimal protection? Everything reliable I have is a palmate and if I’m not mistaken, that’s the way it will be.

3 minutes ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Yep...got my email from Mr. Schafer...asked him if he could recommend a good hybrid pinnate In his stock for zone 7 and he probably confirmed what I already knew. But he did recommend I talk to the Texas crew who had a real test this past winter for Butia x ??? and to be aware that size counts among a lot of other things. I think it’s clear that zone 7 and pinnates don’t mix if you want a minimal winter protection palm. But I would ask anyone who suffered through that awful Texas and other States for that matter, historic, long term freeze...any recommendations for a Butia hybrid that can handle a normal NOVA winter with minimal protection? Everything reliable I have is a palmate and if I’m not mistaken, that’s the way it will be.

Hard to day what will survive there because what we experienced in February is not really comparable, but it might give you an idea of what to try.  I had 3 Butia odorata all 5-gal size or larger with no protection.  I had spear pull on the 2 smallest and performed surgery but all survived.  As far as hybrids I had 2 standard mules (BxQ) and a BxJ F2.  The largest mule was over 8' overall height and unprotected - dead.  Smaller mule was about a 7-gal size and was provided minimal protection and it survived after spear pull and surgery.  BxJ F2 was a juvenile 2-gal size that survived unprotected post-surgery.  We had nothing below 31°F before the freeze event which lasted about 12 days.  We had consecutive nights of 9°F and 13°F with nearly 100 consecutive hours below freezing.  We were in the 70's just prior to the event and back to 70° shortly after.

• Like 4

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, RJ said:

No jxs ?

Still no JxS =( Last he said he couldn't get to the Jubaea cause of Covid. So if he does get back to it, will be another year for the seedlings to be ready.  

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

What in the world is the cross listed as Butia X butia lallemantia X  S. Romanfzoffiana x (Allegretensis) ?

it’s a Butia crossed with a hybrid of a lallemantia and queen palm? What’s the Allegretensis?

No price next to it but worth inquiring about…B)

1 hour ago, smithgn said:

What in the world is the cross listed as Butia X butia lallemantia X  S. Romanfzoffiana x (Allegretensis) ?

it’s a Butia crossed with a hybrid of a lallemantia and queen palm? What’s the Allegretensis?

No price next to it but worth inquiring about…B)

Those are very rare Butia that haven't made to much of a splash yet on the garden nursery yet. Some mail order nursery should have them by next year I hope.  Some are very small butia like only 2- 3' tall and wide.  Others are full grown butia. I've been wanting one of these new super small ones to add to the collection for a long time, the trunks are under ground. 

Here are some names to look out for Buita Lallemantii, lepidotispatha, matogrossensis, there are other too. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Got my delivery yesterday....

Jubaea x Butia purpuracens

PXL_20211015_015525332.thumb.jpg.c7f19059b2b1f4a6185eb5ec4dc3857c.jpg

Butia Silva Minor, he said most likely Butia arenicola....guess time will tell.  Trying to get some more info and pics of the mature plant.

PXL_20211015_015538094.thumb.jpg.e5c7e14b423342ce2db0c25829994aae.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Those are very rare Butia that haven't made to much of a splash yet on the garden nursery yet. Some mail order nursery should have them by next year I hope.  Some are very small butia like only 2- 3' tall and wide.  Others are full grown butia. I've been wanting one of these new super small ones to add to the collection for a long time, the trunks are under ground. 

Here are some names to look out for Buita Lallemantii, lepidotispatha, matogrossensis, there are other too. 

Interesting. Yeah, they must be super rare. I remember coming across this on palmpedia at some point or another but it’s been so long I completely forgot about them. 

Being a Butia and the fact their trunk is mostly underground they must be (very?)cold hardy.  Couple that with a queen palm (and it’s quick growth habits) you would think that this would be a hybrid that could withstand cold and if it does get damage, can grow back at a fairly quick rate to recover.  Just my theory. 

I would love to get my hands on a hybrid like this. I wonder why more people haven’t bought this hybrid? Has anyone purchased this particular hybrid that would like to share some pics or insight on this? 

12 minutes ago, smithgn said:

Being a Butia and the fact their trunk is mostly underground they must be (very?)cold hardy.  Couple that with a queen palm (and it’s quick growth habits) you would think that this would be a hybrid that could withstand cold and if it does get damage, can grow back at a fairly quick rate to recover.  Just my theory.

I would love to get my hands on a hybrid like this. I wonder why more people haven’t bought this hybrid? Has anyone purchased this particular hybrid that would like to share some pics or insight on this? 

I know at some point that is my end game, similar to local hybridizer Richard Lindberg, to be producing smaller to midsized mules....or even a smaller super mule using which is why I bought the Jubaea x butia purpuracens, with the hope to cross Syagrus back to it some day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smithgn said:

Since the queen does not have it's growth point underground the hybrid might not either so might not benefit with extra cold hardiness.  Overall cold hardiness won't be known until it's been tested but that's part of the fun with the newer hybrids!  Plus think of Attalea cohune with its growth point underground temporarily.  It can be grown here in 9a for several years but then all of a sudden it's a 10a palm and down it goes!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

4 hours ago, Fusca said:

Plus think of Attalea cohune with its growth point underground temporarily.  It can be grown here in 9a for several years but then all of a sudden it's a 10a palm and down it goes!

I really wish Jon you didn't have to put it this way I have 4 Attalea I'm hoping to keep around for a long time haha 

T J 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

T J 

21 hours ago, Fusca said:

Hard to day what will survive there because what we experienced in February is not really comparable, but it might give you an idea of what to try.  I had 3 Butia odorata all 5-gal size or larger with no protection.  I had spear pull on the 2 smallest and performed surgery but all survived.  As far as hybrids I had 2 standard mules (BxQ) and a BxJ F2.  The largest mule was over 8' overall height and unprotected - dead.  Smaller mule was about a 7-gal size and was provided minimal protection and it survived after spear pull and surgery.  BxJ F2 was a juvenile 2-gal size that survived unprotected post-surgery.  We had nothing below 31°F before the freeze event which lasted about 12 days.  We had consecutive nights of 9°F and 13°F with nearly 100 consecutive hours below freezing.  We were in the 70's just prior to the event and back to 70° shortly after.

Thank you...I might want to try Butia X Jubaea F1 or F2...with minimal protection, it might just work.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I really wish Jon you didn't have to put it this way I have 4 Attalea I'm hoping to keep around for a long time haha 

T J 

Hope so too!

Jon Sunder

This is my second time emailing Patrick now... does anyone know of anyone else who has Jubaea or Butia hybrids available? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

This is my second time emailing Patrick now... does anyone know of anyone else who has Jubaea or Butia hybrids available? 

Patience is all I can say , emailing is definitely not his Forte. He is definitely the best butia hybridizer. 

T J 

T J 

10 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

If he doesn’t respond or only responds to one of your emails and not again, wait 3-4 weeks. Then try again.  I’ve had success going that route. Suddenly he would respond to all my emails.

Or latch on with someone who is having current success, and willing to forward your order after they receive it.