Josue Diaz

Fall color on an otherwise gloomy day

Josue Diaz

Right around this time i always start getting a bit stir crazy - i can't really plant much because it's rather chilly, but after a few overcast days it's nice to see the sun, and soak up a bit of warmth. Here's a shot of my yard from last week before the old ginkgo dropped most of it's golden leaves. Depsite how messy it is, it cheers me up to see it in full fall regalia. :)

20201223_134602.jpg

20201205_080643.jpg

20201205_082744.jpg

20201205_082842.jpg

20201205_083116.jpg

• Like 19

Darold Petty

Boy,   a yard like that would really cheer me up !   :greenthumb:

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

sipalms

@Josue Diaz what is the most zone pushed palm you've got going there?

Palm Tree Jim

A Northern CA wonderland!

• Like 2

Josue Diaz
6 hours ago, sipalms said:

@Josue Diaz what is the most zone pushed palm you've got going there?

hmmm, I've got a handful of ungrowables by my climate. I have a batch of roystonea borinquena living in my greenhouse, of which I'm testing the biggest one outside in a pot. I've also got syagrus amara hanging out in a 15 gallon outside waiting to go in the ground which is seed grown and going through its third winter. I have two pritchardia species (unknown hybrids?) which don't seem to mind the cold, as well as several chambeyronia, seed grown by me and not, that are slow, but have been good for me several years now.  A small dypsis prestononiana has lived 4 years now next to my driveway in the warmest spot i have next to plumeria and papaya. I've got several dypsis leptocheilos in pots which just stay outside, going on their second winter. several coccothrinax (argentaea, miraguama, borhidiana), thrinax radiata, gaussia gomez-pompaea and others all await their turn to go in the ground, seed grown and living either outside or in an unheated greenhouse.  Ravenea xerophila also! outside in the ground near bismarkia, going on its second winter. 

Lately I've delved into mangoes and other fruiting plants. I have 3 mangoes, hoping to get them to fruiting size here. A few large ones grow and fruit every year around Fresno so I'm hopeful i can get mine to also.  

Probably the biggest non-palm zone pushes i have are a Pedro Ortiz hybrid heliconia. Going through its second winter now and seemingly not too bothered, and a spathodoea (African tulip tree) going through winter #3 in the ground. 

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

DoomsDave
1 hour ago, Josue Diaz said:

hmmm, I've got a handful of ungrowables by my climate. I have a batch of roystonea borinquena living in my greenhouse, of which I'm testing the biggest one outside in a pot. I've also got syagrus amara hanging out in a 15 gallon outside waiting to go in the ground which is seed grown and going through its third winter. I have two pritchardia species (unknown hybrids?) which don't seem to mind the cold, as well as several chambeyronia, seed grown by me and not, that are slow, but have been good for me several years now.  A small dypsis prestononiana has lived 4 years now next to my driveway in the warmest spot i have next to plumeria and papaya. I've got several dypsis leptocheilos in pots which just stay outside, going on their second winter. several coccothrinax (argentaea, miraguama, borhidiana), thrinax radiata, gaussia gomez-pompaea and others all await their turn to go in the ground, seed grown and living either outside or in an unheated greenhouse.  Ravenea xerophila also! outside in the ground near bismarkia, going on its second winter. 

Lately I've delved into mangoes and other fruiting plants. I have 3 mangoes, hoping to get them to fruiting size here. A few large ones grow and fruit every year around Fresno so I'm hopeful i can get mine to also.  

Probably the biggest non-palm zone pushes i have are a Pedro Ortiz hybrid heliconia. Going through its second winter now and seemingly not too bothered, and a spathodoea (African tulip tree) going through winter #3 in the ground. 

And what about that J-opsis caffra?

Josue Diaz
7 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

There's that too :w00: and the beccariophoenix alfredii & copernicia baileyana. Let me show you!

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 1

Josue Diaz
15 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

From earlier, warmer days:

Sparthodoea - i honestly had very little hope for this plant. It died to the ground the first winter (well before we even had frost), but surprised me by coming back the following spring. the second winter, it died back to about 2 feet of "trunk". This year it has yet to have any die-back. 

20201120_095415.jpg

J-opais caffra :wub:

20200905_084823.jpg

Copernicia baileyana from @TexasColdHardyPalms . It took a LONG time to recover from the transplant. 

20201009_174341.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii from @Perito

20200905_085259.jpg

One of my seed grown Roystonea borinquena hanging out outside for its first winter test. 

20201114_113203.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

DoomsDave

Dang, if you can get that Roystonea to grow well, that will look like a surreal landscape, no drugs necessary!

Josue Diaz
3 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Dang, if you can get that Roystonea to grow well, that will look like a surreal landscape, no drugs necessary!

Heavy watering and a lucky streak of warm winters might let me do that.  We get enough heat to push a great deal of growth. 

SHHH - come on back to my "herb" garden for some natural trips :floor: I kid, I kid

• Like 2

DoomsDave

If the cold spells are short, the borquie might make it.

• Like 2

akamu

Killer looking Garden i like the mix of textures I think you're borinquena has a good shot its the strongest of the four Royals I am growing. Thanks for sharing 

Josue Diaz
15 minutes ago, akamu said:

Killer looking Garden i like the mix of textures I think you're borinquena has a good shot its the strongest of the four Royals I am growing. Thanks for sharing 

Thank you! Really appreciate that sort of compliment. 

I've grown both R. regia & borinquena from seed. The regias never make it through winter as seedlings - even inside an unheated greenhouse. I think it's too cold and too gloomy for too long for them at that age. I started a large batch of borinquena seed in 2018, about half died that winter in the same way regia does for me. the surviving seedlings were potted up in 2020 and are going strong this winter.  One is outside, the rest are inside the unheated greenhouse. I think i'll put them all into 15 gallon pots this upcoming spring and feed them heavily. 

• Like 1

Josue Diaz

A few more shots from today, which turned out to be a beautifully sunny day!20201224_155334.thumb.jpg.e24d9cde1546b36cbacc3139344ca1c9.jpg

20201224_160946.jpg

20201224_160328.jpg

20201224_161246.jpg

20201224_160432.jpg

20201224_160416.jpg

20201224_160525.jpg

20201224_155617.jpg

20201224_160612.jpg

20201224_160246.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

John hovancsek

Very beautiful 

• Like 1

palmfriend

Josue,

still young but already a beautiful garden!!

Thank you for posting!

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 1