IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wollemia in Warm Climates

ahosey01

Anybody growing Wollemia somewhere it gets hot during the day?

About to buy an empty chunk of land adjacent to my house from ADOT.  Will need to extend the forest.

Edited by ahosey01

I don't think it could handle the sun and low humidity, hopefully someone in AZ will chime in and tell me I'm wrong.

The wollemia is one of my "wish I could grow it here plants" but my biggest limit is phytophthora.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, amh said:

I don't think it could handle the sun and low humidity, hopefully someone in AZ will chime in and tell me I'm wrong.

The wollemia is one of my "wish I could grow it here plants" but my biggest limit is phytophthora.

I think I’ve got a good spot for it in sun only from 6-11.  You’re right about that humidity, though. I got no hope to fix that.

Are these even available?  I’ve been looking for a while but everything I see is from either the U.K. or Australia. 

On 12/25/2020 at 10:39 PM, Chester B said:

Are these even available?  I’ve been looking for a while but everything I see is from either the U.K. or Australia. 

I’ll find one if I decide to plant.  LOL

• 1 year later...

Another head scratcher, why are you in Nashville, TN? About 5-1/2 feet overall, 4 to 4-1/2 feet tall from the top of the pot. Cool to see, had tip burn over the entire tree

6BAB2409-228A-40DF-B993-D6A5B7F4B0FD.thumb.jpeg.7479e6f77e951290d7973f66eb661d8b.jpegCC974359-F766-4EDF-88FB-0A11A410350F.thumb.jpeg.c1aca3aad4b796fd124152fda409ef73.jpeg

• Like 2

Yikes that’s pretty pricey. That needs to be sent to a more suitable climate. Pretty cool to see though. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, teddytn said:

Another head scratcher, why are you in Nashville, TN? About 5-1/2 feet overall, 4 to 4-1/2 feet tall from the top of the pot. Cool to see, had tip burn over the entire tree

6BAB2409-228A-40DF-B993-D6A5B7F4B0FD.thumb.jpeg.7479e6f77e951290d7973f66eb661d8b.jpegCC974359-F766-4EDF-88FB-0A11A410350F.thumb.jpeg.c1aca3aad4b796fd124152fda409ef73.jpeg

That would look great if you were a zone and a half warmer.

29 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Yikes that’s pretty pricey. That needs to be sent to a more suitable climate. Pretty cool to see though. 

That price is about normal from what I have seen.

Edited by amh
  • Like 2

Here is mine in SoCal. 11 years in ground from NatGeo rooted branch cutting. I think seed grown would be way bigger by now. 

5F76EDAC-CCD9-4B64-AEF9-2E2F3EB19FD3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

45 minutes ago, LJG said:

Here is mine in SoCal. 11 years in ground from NatGeo rooted branch cutting. I think seed grown would be way bigger by now. 

5F76EDAC-CCD9-4B64-AEF9-2E2F3EB19FD3.jpeg

Weird that you just posted this.  Not even thinking about this thread, I wanted to make a post on this PT subforum describing my experiences in the last couple weeks.

My Wollemia nobilis is currently a seedling in a red solo cup.  Here in Wickenburg, we have had approximately 3 days of 111F - 115F.  It is sitting out in the full blazing sun, exposed to all the elements.  Not only does it look completely fine, it actually began growing faster as the heatwave set in.  I am, unfortunately, unable to get it in the ground until the sale of the plot adjacent to mine is completed (where it will get planted).  Til then, I just have to wait with it in the pot.  But I'm shocked by not only how well it is handling heat and near-zero humidity, but also the fact that it appears to thrive in its present conditions.

Will report back once it's in the ground.

• Like 1