IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

SW FL find! Hydriastele beguinii 'Obi Island' 7g

PalmatierMeg

Yesterday my husband and I drove down to Driftwood Garden Center in Estero, FL, to buy several 4-cu-ft bags of perlite to use in a repotting project. I wandered around the nursery but didn't see anything but the usual suspects until I saw two rare tropical palms in 7g pots: Hydriastele beguinii 'Obi Island'. Palms like this don't exist in SWFL where queens, foxtails and ubiquitous Christmas palms reign supreme. I sell seeds and seedlings all year in hopes I find treasures like this. I bought one and we bundled it home in the bed of our pickup. I almost feel bad about breaking up the pair but perhaps a PTer in SWFL will spring for the one left behind.

I plan to plant it in deep shade in the back yard jungle come spring to keep our Hydriastele dransfieldii company. Right now it sits on the back lanai where we can haul it indoors if the predicted cold front hits this weekend. See photos below

Hydriastele beguinii 'Obi Island', 7g, Cape Coral, FL

483178966_HydriastelebeguiniiObiIslandlg0112-22-20.thumb.JPG.0f486593d50240e5f38a0ac52aae390f.JPG962022352_HydriastelebeguiniiObiIsland0512-22-20.thumb.JPG.db5721efdc845adc8518a7535a6e24fc.JPG861365039_HydriastelebeguiniiObiIslandlg0212-22-20.thumb.JPG.1cb63966ce8af65281aa66849a6c11d1.JPG779327905_HydriastelebeguiniiObiIslandlg0312-22-20.thumb.JPG.a79c278618ce7194e7d9e78c2a5ca82a.JPG1012250552_HydriastelebeguiniiObiislandlg0412-22-20.thumb.JPG.04c19c711df89e0e7857582af73086d8.JPGIMG_1303.thumb.JPG.7c4f583e9369a60a647304fa4d46a12a.JPG1102674165_HydriastelebeguiniiObiIslandlg0612-22-20.thumb.JPG.a582b8f3d4e89cef366ac2c334ca80fc.JPG

• Like 16
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I wandered around the nursery but didn't see anything but the usual suspects until I saw two rare tropical palms in 7g pots: Hydriastele beguinii 'Obi Island'. Palms like this don't exist in SWFL where queens, foxtails and ubiquitous Christmas palms reign supreme. I sell seeds and seedlings all year in hopes I find treasures like this. I bought one and we bundled it home in the bed of our pickup.

Nice find.  Every once in a while one finds some unusual things at "regular nurseries".  I have a couple of nurseries in the neighborhood that surprise me with some gems once in a while.  They are close enough to stop in when out walking the dog, so the staff know us pretty well and don't mind if we walk through without purchasing.  Not very often do I find unusual palms at these places though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Hi Meg, you are going to really enjoy this palm in your garden.  I got one as a gift from another local collector about 2 years ago.  Now I owe him a variegated Foxy Lady.   I put it in the ground next to a Pelagodoxa, under some canopy.  Should do good in your area.   Love it!

PXL_20201223_180608670.jpg

PXL_20201223_180617448.jpg

PXL_20201223_180641682.NIGHT.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Mike, yours is absolutely stellar! Thanks for the input. I do have a young one in a 2g but it's got a long way to go. If you have a chance to get H. dransfieldii, grab it. Mine is going into its 3rd winter in the jungle after it outgrew our lanai. The leather leaf Hydriasteles have great potential here. My H. affinis just moved to a 2g and I have great hopes for it.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

These are really beautiful, I got several from HI shipped small, they are growing fast and easy. Mine are still in pots so they will be nice and warm come the x-mas cold front.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, Cristina Nau said:

I' looking vor that beautiful Palm.

But I dont find it in Germany.

can In shipped Dome one to Germany?

In Europe I don’t know but you should check out nurseries in countries around you. You may need import permits, phytosanitary permits. Check laws of your country to bring in plants and expect to pay high shipping. Be aware this is a tropical palm that can’t live outdoors in winter and needs specialized indoor care.

Meg

Florida