IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Up on the roof top click click click

DoomsDave

This is one of those Southern California winter days that’s so glorious it’s like a happy hallucination. 

Nice to get out of the house.

Houses are really great, especially when surrounded by a palm garden. They’re really  nice to live in, of course, but it’s also cool to be able to get up on the roof and reacquaint oneself with palms that have gotten tall.

And, Happy Holidays to all!

Here are the tall Teddy Bears, Dypsis leptocheilos.

F97C179F-5D3F-4187-A4F9-B885667DAEAF.thumb.jpeg.6abbe8c64b585b5cad9f15d4aa36058a.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Upvote 6

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here’s a panoramic shot facing north. Mostly Chambeyronias and Archontophoenix tuckeri.

33A83762-10FC-41B1-A326-67138E0DE927.thumb.jpeg.dc92818665741c5a6ea2274ebdc0fb24.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 3

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And another more northwest

3015B719-6CF0-4F92-906D-05F7C64444A1.thumb.jpeg.6b7bdeb2da41d3e434cc38b15761c0f8.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Upvote 4

Spanky, a big Roystonea regia up close.

34AF8224-15DA-4B6A-9A9A-5E08185388D0.thumb.jpeg.4cce8c2f21068d8af44a031de3e38662.jpeg

Facing southeast with Butch the biggest Roystonea regia to the right.

CE2AEF61-72A8-441B-85CD-AAAC82FD568D.thumb.jpeg.3f1cc699cda616d92417d9da410032ea.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 5

Ptychosperma elegans in baby making mode.

E440FFB3-BD67-46E4-9158-706BF5215FBB.thumb.jpeg.2d3226aab696ddd7ab1027062c703e9e.jpeg

And its brethren/sistren immediately adjoining.

EB97712F-8FD8-4CFD-B16C-67517DEC74D5.thumb.jpeg.b97fbce6a4b15243f1d22277cc5b2546.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 3

A big hulking Jubutea hybrid in the backyard 

06E6281F-00C1-4690-9D1D-60B7A06E2E7E.thumb.jpeg.445bdc2146c09f6dd065b2f63039cd43.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 4

A nice view to west southwest more or less

Tall palm is Syagrus picrophylla with Archontophoenix purpurea in front, with big mule fronds on far left.

C2E5ECC5-8177-4D60-8E27-FC2B3B719A9D.thumb.jpeg.8c75dbea48196a0e038c028fcc6990a5.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 4

Gazing up into Butch’s magnificent crown 

we’re not hallucinating, thank heaven.

117A7DA9-DFFB-49E6-9DE7-4868265A604D.thumb.jpeg.e9ac4af11caaf9a9d53366a2000aa300.jpeg

Another view to west southwest with tall Roystonea oleracea on the left and Spanky on the far right

ABE98090-65EE-41C5-9BF2-01FE8091A0F6.thumb.jpeg.a5d2abf14f9d8642602e3392e8f96123.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

Tall Archontophoenix tuckeri on left with tall Pritchardtia “lanaiensis” in the center.

85E22944-AF5E-4D89-9166-EE92B6A9E70C.thumb.jpeg.601b7f38cfd7b2b69d46454ff3c99434.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Upvote 3

Hard to believe it’s real sometimes.

Here are teddy bears with Happy Hurricane Hybrid Archontophoenix, now about sixty feet tall.

6A19527A-E14B-42D2-85A0-9666BEDCE04F.thumb.jpeg.05bb98dcdb7a615afe4a88f767318c44.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Upvote 3

Cocothrinax miraguama 

39C80EA7-6D96-479D-8E02-DE15D14D5C8F.thumb.jpeg.19f17d8c806c284eaafeb993cf1ad62f.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

Looks great Dave. We’re you wearing those slip resistant red sneakers? 

Tim

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Amazing :yay:

• Upvote 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

17 minutes ago, realarch said:

Looks great Dave. We’re you wearing those slip resistant red sneakers? 

Tim

Always 

But forgot to photograph 

54 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Hard to believe it’s real sometimes.

Here are teddy bears with Happy Hurricane Hybrid Archontophoenix, now about sixty feet tall.

6A19527A-E14B-42D2-85A0-9666BEDCE04F.thumb.jpeg.05bb98dcdb7a615afe4a88f767318c44.jpeg

60 feet!!!!!! Wow has to be one of the tallest Archontophoenix in California.

Awesome shots Dave!

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, James B said:

60 feet!!!!!! Wow has to be one of the tallest Archontophoenix in California.

Awesome shots Dave!

Thanks but I’ve seen hundred foot Archontophoenix 

1 minute ago, GottmitAlex said:

Merry Christmas @DoomsDave !

Oh yeah 

Fruhliche Weinachten to you too!

Left out the umlaut sorry 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Thanks but I’ve seen hundred foot Archontophoenix 

In Cali? That’s awesome I’d love to check those out some time. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, James B said:

In Cali? That’s awesome I’d love to check those out some time. 

They're on the "West Side" like BH, etc. Though the Editors of Doom are busy, too . . . .

• Like 1

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who names all their palms :floor:

Goals for getting out of this tiny apartment and building my own palmy paradise here in Texas. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Goals for getting out of this tiny apartment and building my own palmy paradise here in Texas. 

I have dopey names for everything, including cars, cities, etc.

If you want seeds, send me a PM.

• Like 1

What and awesome jungle, Dave! I love it!

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

12 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I have two Trachycarpus wagnerianus, they are siblings from the same seed batch, one is male, the other female, their names are Siegmund und Sieglinde.  :winkie:

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

30 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

one is male, the other female, their names are Siegmund und Sieglinde.  :winkie:

I have 2 pots of C Elegans named Lenny and Carl, and 2 D Lutescens that are named Sherry and Terry. My first R Rivularis is named Groot :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, necturus said:

Does the hybrid Archontophoenix set seeds? I may already asked this. If so, mea culpa. Fantastic yard... forever jealous.

The HHH sets bucketloads of seeds, most of which are not fertile, alas.

Absolutely stunning photos! I can't believe how tall many of your palms are! How many years ago did you start planting in your yard? 

I'm always up for learning new things!

7 hours ago, kylecawazafla said:

Absolutely stunning photos! I can't believe how tall many of your palms are! How many years ago did you start planting in your yard? 

Thanks!

Most of the big stuff was planted starting in 2006 and after though some date from as early as May of 2003.

On 12/20/2020 at 1:52 AM, DoomsDave said:

Spanky, a big Roystonea regia up close.

34AF8224-15DA-4B6A-9A9A-5E08185388D0.thumb.jpeg.4cce8c2f21068d8af44a031de3e38662.jpeg

Facing southeast with Butch the biggest Roystonea regia to the right.

CE2AEF61-72A8-441B-85CD-AAAC82FD568D.thumb.jpeg.3f1cc699cda616d92417d9da410032ea.jpeg

Wow, and amongst all these beauties you are also growing a Trachy?

• Upvote 1

i can't believe how devoid of palms the landscape looks in the distance. At ground level, they're everywhere as you're driving, but from your roof it looks like your neighbors only grow deciduous z5 trees lol. 

Beautiful shots as always, and the roof looks great!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

i can't believe how devoid of palms the landscape looks in the distance. At ground level, they're everywhere as you're driving, but from your roof it looks like your neighbors only grow deciduous z5 trees lol. 

Beautiful shots as always, and the roof looks great!

This is a great observation.