charlotte palm guy

Cold hardy banana plant

charlotte palm guy

I planted 2 cold hardy banana pants last spring at about a foot tall for each.  Both somehow exploded into the height you see in the pic over a single Summer.  They grew about 10 feet in one season.  Is this even possible?  In Spring will the just pick back up where the left off?  As you can see the leaves are all dead right now.  I think the morning sun and partial shade really helped these explode.  One of the 2 pants was in full sun a year before and didn’t grow much at all so I moved it to side of house that you see in pic.  Charlotte, NC located 

F449C016-0ED0-4386-9CDD-596A72C8A4F9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

climate change virginia

they died because frost takes down even hardy bananas but they come back from the roots in the spring. Also you should post this in off topic forums under tropical plants other than palms :)

Edited by climate change virginia
  • Like 1

teaksmith

Mine look the same after the first hard frost a couple of weeks ago. I leave them alone until spring and then cut from the top only the parts that are completely destroyed from the winter freezes. New growth will emerge from the tallest undamaged portions, so the more you can save, the bigger they will get in the coming growing season.

• Like 2

JLM

All the bananas around here look the same. These are root hardy and will spring back to life once warmer temps arrive. 

floridaPalmMan
On 12/19/2020 at 11:26 AM, charlotte palm guy said:

I planted 2 cold hardy banana pants 

I'm currently looking for cold hardy bananas... are those dwarf cavendish?

Just asking so I know what they'll look like when the leaves die

Edited by floridaPalmMan

JLM
37 minutes ago, floridaPalmMan said:

I dont think the cavendish is very root hardy. The Musa basjoo is often referred to as the Cold Hardy Banana.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

floridaPalmMan
1 hour ago, JLM said:

I dont think the cavendish is very root hardy. The Musa basjoo is often referred to as the Cold Hardy Banana.

Cool thanks for the info

The7thLegend
4 hours ago, floridaPalmMan said:

@floridaPalmMan Cavendish should survive 8b no problem and even fruit some years.  If you're looking for edible fruiting bananas, I have Blue Java Ice cream and Raja Puri.   Check with me spring time and I should have some pups I can spare if you want.

• Upvote 1

floridaPalmMan
3 minutes ago, The7thLegend said:

@floridaPalmMan Cavendish should survive 8b no problem and even fruit some years.  If you're looking for edible fruiting bananas, I have Blue Java Ice cream and Raja Puri.   Check with me spring time and I should have some pups I can spare if you want.

Great Ill keep you in mind. Thanks for the offer

• Like 1

VA Palmer

I chop my Musa Basjoo at the base come the first frost and cover with 4-6" of dry mulch for the winter.  They will spring back to life come Spring after trimming any brown decay down to the green stem when uncovered for the first time..

Love them palms
5 hours ago, VA Palmer said:

I chop my Musa Basjoo at the base come the first frost and cover with 4-6" of dry mulch for the winter.  They will spring back to life come Spring after trimming any brown decay down to the green stem when uncovered for the first time..

I cut all the leaves off my Musa Basjoon after the first frost in Mukilteo Wa and wrap the stalk and pups with water heater insulation and black garage bag.it will keep growing from that point next spring. next fall I will use bubble wrap 

Edited by Love them palms

VA Palmer

Yes, I want to try leaving them a little taller next time.  Thanks for the tip.  This year I chopped 18 trees over 18' tall from three mammas that I planted the year before - so they do get tall by the end of the season anyway.

VA Palmer
23 hours ago, VA Palmer said:

Oh, and spray with copper fungicide at the end and especially the beginning of the season.