Sign in to follow this  
amh

realpalmtrees comparison chart

amh

A while back I came across this web page that gave zone ratings for palms and select cycads. I have done a search on palmtalk and have not found any reference to this page, so I thought I'd share.

https://realpalmtrees.com/knowledge-base/world-plant-cold-hardiness-zones/comparison-charts-usda-zones-and-palm-trees/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Allen
1 hour ago, amh said:

A while back I came across this web page that gave zone ratings for palms and select cycads. I have done a search on palmtalk and have not found any reference to this page, so I thought I'd share.

https://realpalmtrees.com/knowledge-base/world-plant-cold-hardiness-zones/comparison-charts-usda-zones-and-palm-trees/

Great list of palms but the zoning seems to be skewed to sell palm trees as Trachycarpus shows zone 6 and Sabal Palmetto shows zone 7.  I didn't really look at many of them as there are too many to sort out, just keep this in mind that zones may be off.

• Upvote 1

amh
5 minutes ago, Allen said:

Great list of palms but the zoning seems to be skewed to sell palm trees as Trachycarpus shows zone 6 and Sabal Palmetto shows zone 7.  I didn't really look at many of them as there are too many to sort out, just keep this in mind that zones may be off.

I noticed a few like that, but the majority looked about right. Looked like a good conversation starter.

How do your Sabal brazoria and louisiana handle zone 7?

Allen
1 hour ago, amh said:

I noticed a few like that, but the majority looked about right. Looked like a good conversation starter.

How do your Sabal brazoria and louisiana handle zone 7?

Seem to be good till around 5F.  All my palms are pushed except Sabal minor and Needles.  The minors took 0F with no real damage in 2018.  I think trachy are 7b/8a and palmetto 8a as well.  I'd call louisiana/brazoria/birmingham 7b

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

amh
1 minute ago, Allen said:

Seem to be good till around 5F.  All my palms are pushed except Sabal minor and Needles.  The minors took 0F with no real damage in 2018.  I think trachy are 7b/8a and palmetto 8a as well.  I'd call louisiana/brazoria/birmingham 7b

Good to know, I just started a bunch of louisiana and brazoria this year and rarely get below 13F.