IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Indispensable Shovel

realarch

First of all, Happy Holiday's everyone! I've never been so appreciative of having, maintaining, and wandering through my garden over the last year. I can't imagine otherwise.

OK, the shovel. The primary use for this tool is giving scale to some of the palms in the garden. Because of the rocks, it's totally useless on my property for it's intended design. Lately, the shovel seems to be comparatively smaller next to, what used to be, cute little plants. Anyway, here are some recent photos.

Tim

Marojejya

Kerriodoxa

IMG_E6250.jpg

IMG_E6278.jpg

• Like 17
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

@realarch! Mighty nice shovel you got there!

• Like 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

8 minutes ago, realarch said:

Voanioala gerardii

Love the very long leaflets on this palm.  It really stands at this size.  And of course I love everything else you just posted.  I knew the Kerriodoxa would get big leaves, but holy guacamole Tim, I didn't realize they would get that big.  I'm laughing at where I had mine planted now but don't have to worry about it outgrowing the space anymore, it succumbed to my cool damp winter conditions about 5 years ago.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

46 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Love the very long leaflets on this palm.  It really stands at this size.  And of course I love everything else you just posted.  I knew the Kerriodoxa would get big leaves, but holy guacamole Tim, I didn't realize they would get that big.  I'm laughing at where I had mine planted now but don't have to worry about it outgrowing the space anymore, it succumbed to my cool damp winter conditions about 5 years ago.

OMG! Please Mr. or Ms. Kerriodoxa, please don't eat me!

I've got some that are hanging on, but I doubt I'll live to see maturity.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Tim, it's all so wonderful.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

This should be a weekly puzzle: "Where's the shovel?" That Mauritia flexuosa hides it well! :lol: 

Love it Tim! Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I always love seeing your garden pics. Your palms are superb.

So do you use a jack hammer for digging holes on your property?

Good God!!! Awesome Plants you got there!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Mahalo for the comments!

Dave, as far as shovels go, it's a mighty fine looking implement. Don't worry about the Kerriodoxa, they just lick you every now and then. 

Tracy, the Voanioala has been slow but steady. Nothing too special about it at this point. Hope your Kerriodoxa didn't suffer too much. I've got three planted fairly close together, they are just too beautiful.

Meg, coming from you, I appreciate the compliment.

Jim, :shaka-2::shaka-2:, double shakas

Kim, it's like 'Wheres Waldo' in that particular shot. Geeze that damn thing is getting big. 

Greg, thanks man, luckily I can find pukas here and there where I can get a small hole. The roots will find their way and do the rest. 

Greg, the other Greg, yeah the gnarly red sneaker is a PT institution. I will say the handle on the shovel is gnarly in it's own right. 

Doug, yeah, it amazes me as well although they don't always reach their max potential. Sometimes that's not a bad thing.

Steve, as often as I'm in the garden and look up, my refrain is......Geeze-us. 

Tim

• Like 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim,

One of these days, I will need to retire my orange bucket and start using a shovel. What are you going to use when your shovel is just too small - maybe it is already in some cases?

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

A shovel is also useless on my property I use a bar and water takes at least an hour to dig a 5 gallon hole but my palms don’t grow anything like yours, so jealous!!!

• 2 years later...

Amazing palms all around. Seeing them at such a large size is exciting and beautiful. BTW, your Voanioala gerardii photo is the best I have come across on the internet machine showing the palm at that size. Thank you for providing that and please keep more coming along. Take care and happy Saturday!

I missed this topic in 2020 and appreciate the chance to see it now. 

I also missed the chance to see Tim’s garden and many others while on the IPS trip. 

Looks like the wedding of my middle child will be in June 2024 near LA so already planning on another trip to HI as a pre or post trip….

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Jadd, thanks for the bump, I’d forgotten about this thread. The shovel is alive and well and a fairly recent paint job as well. I need to update some of the photos, the palms have grown quite a bit in the interim. 

Cindy…….still waiting. 🤗

Tim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii