IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Search

ahosey01

Since moving here, I’ve had a spot in my front yard which I believe is perfect for a P. canariensis x reclinata (or vice-versa) cross.  I want a multi-trunked palm with canary crowns.

I acknowledge this is going to be a messy palm, and I may just die of impalement during the trimming process.  I also acknowledge it will be hard to find, and when I do find it - a decent one will be a lot of money.

That said - I can envision the aesthetic in my mind. It’s the right palm for the spot I have.

I wanted to start this thread as a little journal of my attempts to find this palm.  So far, I have had several forum members offer seed that they think would foot this bill, but I don’t want to spend that much time waiting for something to show form only to find out it wasn’t what I was looking for.

To this point, I have contacted Patrick Schaefer and Phil Bergman, as well as all local guys with their own grow yards here in central Arizona.  No luck.

Any leads would be helpful here. Regardless, I’ll post progress on this thread until I find what I am looking for, and afterwards once I plant it and yearly growth photos.

Edited by ahosey01
  • Like 4

I have several I’ve grown from seeds from a local Canariensis x Reclinata. They’re all close to 4ft. tall with pots now. Not sure if it’s the size you might be interested in, but I don’t need that many, and I’d be more than happy to part with one. 

D03A487B-118A-4033-ACF3-A6DD6B558C13.jpeg

9459E270-173C-47B5-92C8-D181EE7E0AB0.jpeg

Here is the parent plant a couple of years ago.  Will take a new pic of it tomorrow. 

C3D1B701-643E-469E-ADC5-3811E7A46B86.jpeg

Edited by Estlander

37 minutes ago, Estlander said:

Here is the parent plant a couple of years ago.  Will take a new pic of it tomorrow. 

C3D1B701-643E-469E-ADC5-3811E7A46B86.jpeg

Welp, that was easy!!

Where are you located?  I’d be happy to come pick it up.  You can also PM me.

Any idea the species of the pollinator?

Edited by ahosey01

2 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

Welp, that was easy!!

Where are you located?  I’d be happy to come pick it up.  You can also PM me.

I'm in Destin FL. If you're in AZ, then pick up probably won't be possible :D  

Edited by Estlander

Just now, Estlander said:

I'm in Destin FL. If you're in AZ, then pick up probably won't be possible :D  

rec.JPG

We can figure out the shipping thing, then.  LOL.

Just now, ahosey01 said:

Yes, I suppose I can pack it up real good and then see how much the shipping would be. 

9 minutes ago, Estlander said:

Yes, I suppose I can pack it up real good and then see how much the shipping would be. 

Perfect.  Sending you a PM now. 

24 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

Any idea the species of the pollinator?

Unfortunately I can’t answer that one. There are several P. Canariensis nearby there. And another Canariensis x Reclinata about 15 feet away which also had seeds on when I collected them.  Most likely pollinator is the smaller one to the right of it as that’s the closest Phoenix palm to it  

0AF6B0CA-3908-4F0A-B27E-CF881C205FFE.png

Edited by Estlander

8 minutes ago, Estlander said:

Unfortunately I can’t answer that one. There are several P. Canariensis nearby there. And another Canariensis x Reclinata about 10 feet away

Either one of these is plenty satisfactory to me.  This is real exciting.

4 hours ago, Estlander said:

Unfortunately I can’t answer that one. There are several P. Canariensis nearby there. And another Canariensis x Reclinata about 15 feet away which also had seeds on when I collected them.  Most likely pollinator is the smaller one to the right of it as that’s the closest Phoenix palm to it  

0AF6B0CA-3908-4F0A-B27E-CF881C205FFE.png

Andre, nice composition of forms and textures. I have nothing against color and bloom but I think a good landscape depends on foliage.

• Like 1

This is the palm now. Seems to be a pretty fast grower as it’s put on quite a bit of trunk height in a couple of years. 

8468B899-1C47-4D38-82DD-3846BE8CDA8C.jpeg

90826E27-283E-43DF-9D25-F85DCF3DC643.jpeg

Edited by Estlander

16 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

You mean you're not up for a 27-hour drive each way? :P

Glad to hear you are getting a palm you want!  Nice Christmas present for yourself.

Edited by Fusca

Jon Sunder

On 12/17/2020 at 8:25 AM, ahosey01 said:

I wanted to start this thread as a little journal of my attempts to find this palm.

<_< Well, that was a short read then... 

18 hours ago, Estlander said:

I have several I’ve grown from seeds from a local Canariensis x Reclinata. They’re all close to 4ft. tall with pots now. Not sure if it’s the size you might be interested in, but I don’t need that many, and I’d be more than happy to part with one. 

D03A487B-118A-4033-ACF3-A6DD6B558C13.jpeg

9459E270-173C-47B5-92C8-D181EE7E0AB0.jpeg

Andre, you think this cross would stand a chance in a southeastern 8b?

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

Andre, you think this cross would stand a chance in a southeastern 8b?

I think that since it’s a suckering palm, it would be hard to kill in 8b. Low 20’s don’t even hurt the fronds from what I’ve seen. To kill the trunks it would definitely have to go below 20F, and even then it would just come back from suckers. 

Edited by Estlander

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

@Estlander good deal, thanks :shaka-2:

I'll add to the wishlist, haha

Whenever you’re headed southward, take a little right towards the panhandle and I’ll give you one.  

25 minutes ago, Estlander said:

Whenever you’re headed southward, take a little right towards the panhandle and I’ll give you one.  

I'm practically spitting distance. A - hem...

27 minutes ago, Estlander said:

Dammit man lol 

I mean if you feel like boxing another one up :P

34 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Dammit man lol 

I mean if you feel like boxing another one up :P

Sure, that’s doable as well. Let’s see how the first shipment goes, lol. 

42 minutes ago, Manalto said:

I'm practically spitting distance. A - hem...

Yea, you pretty much are. I can definitely give you one if you’re ever in the neighborhood. 

11 hours ago, Estlander said:

Sure, that’s doable as well. Let’s see how the first shipment goes, lol. 

Woohoo :D

Lemme see what I can send your way

7 hours ago, necturus said:

That's a nice Phoenix palm. How do you know it has canariensis in it?

I guess I can't say with 100% certainty what it is exactly, but it doesn't look like pure Reclinata to me. The fronds have a CIDP look to them.  Plus, it's much cold hardier than I believe a pure Reclinata would be.  In Florida this hybrid is very common, so more than likely that's what this is as well.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 10:13 PM, Estlander said:

I guess I can't say with 100% certainty what it is exactly, but it doesn't look like pure Reclinata to me. The fronds have a CIDP look to them.  Plus, it's much cold hardier than I believe a pure Reclinata would be.  In Florida this hybrid is very common, so more than likely that's what this is as well.

Thanks for the response. Was just curious if it was a known cross. Regardless, they look good. To my eye, all reclinata in the US look substantially different from those in Africa, so I agree they probably all have something else in them.

What's odd is, the base of my Patric P. canariensis x roebellini looks stockier...

5 hours ago, necturus said:

What's odd is, the base of my Patric P. canariensis x roebellini looks stockier...

Probably a lot of variation to these hybrids. There's a stockier trunk one nearby  here as well.  

279428108_reclinatahybrid(3).jpeg.a594235cf4ede98f7aa3a68b07716114.jpeg

On 12/18/2020 at 12:49 PM, Fusca said:

You mean you're not up for a 27-hour drive each way? :P

My guess its prolly a longer drive then that haha. I just made the drive to Reno from Houston which is 30hrs haha 

T J 

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

My guess its prolly a longer drive then that haha. I just made the drive to Reno from Houston which is 30hrs haha 

Nice road trip TJ!  :)  Probably aren't gong to bring back any palms unless you make a detour to the OC while you're out there.  Hope you had a nice Christmas!

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Probably aren't gong to bring back any palms unless you make a detour to the OC while you're out there

I have thought about it but I doubt it lol Merry Christmas to you too 

T J 

On 12/19/2020 at 11:43 AM, ahosey01 said:

What did I start....

I made the 6-hour drive from my home in MS to Destin Monday and picked up mine. Beautiful specimen that I can't wait to plant in my landscape this spring!

Thanks Andre and thanks for showing us your fantastic collection of palms! Will post an update with pics on my new Canariensis x. Reclinata soon.

• Like 1

Received the palm today.  Got delayed in the mail but it looks great! (It’s the one on the right):

74FE1978-0604-472C-B4DE-72E406357306.thumb.jpeg.c7919303c75971e50f28dc54ddd60e0a.jpeg

• Like 2