IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wet-cold protection idea

Swolte

I have always wondered to what extent preventing water from entering the crown could spell major problems for a palm. Its obviously not good but if it is really is a significant factor (in combination with cold), could you build a lightweight mini umbrella (from plastic cones, for example) that could, supported by the spear, divert (at least most) water? Like a small wizard's hat... It would cover the most crucial area. Since its lightweight, you could even attach (and easily remove) it to large palms using a pole. 

Magical thinking?

hat.png

• Like 1

The way the fronds come out on most palms make this not work.  I'm talking Trachy

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

make a mini roof

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

The hat will work for small plants & seedlings but anything 2+ gallon ? You'll have to tie up the leafs perhaps.  I think its a great idea especially for area's that get cold around October. Perfect Halloween decoration! May have to drive some thin metal stakes in the hat to hold it down from the wind. 

I usually use black nursery pots 15 gallons & 25 gallons. I throw them over the palms sometimes with leafs or a old shirt inside then I place a rock on top. Simple, effective but a bit of an eye sore.  I can care less but wife doesn't like it much. But she understands I have to do what I have to do to protect my palms & cycads B)

I like the idea of creating decorations to protect our plants though :greenthumb: 

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 12:28 AM, Swolte said:

I have always wondered to what extent preventing water from entering the crown could spell major problems for a palm. Its obviously not good but if it is really is a significant factor (in combination with cold), could you build a lightweight mini umbrella (from plastic cones, for example) that could, supported by the spear, divert (at least most) water? Like a small wizard's hat... It would cover the most crucial area. Since its lightweight, you could even attach (and easily remove) it to large palms using a pole. 

Magical thinking?

hat.png

A $5.00 umbrella and a 6’ shepherds hook or a growing cage works wonders for diverting rain off a crown...trying it this winter on the Mediterranean and the Brazoria...just wired the umbrella to the shepherd’s for the Medi and clamped the other to a growing cage I unhitched so I could spread it out a bit to fit the circumference of the umbrella...perfect fit for now...so far, so good but no huge wind test yet.

F7B58BAF-9BEE-4C78-8E3D-50CE6D84FA8D.thumb.jpeg.5c5ef54e78ea2de41bc7fdf1c02c80bd.jpeg21F752E4-B235-4D62-8DB3-1E4D9A460D57.thumb.jpeg.c8d8e5c996bf8dfd53d6640cfb88051d.jpeg

• Like 3