Sign in to follow this  
Aidandp

Brookings Oregon: Zone 9b Palms

Aidandp

Anybody know if I could grow some queen or even king palms in Brookings Oregon (Zone 9b) would coconut trees be off limits?

EastCanadaTropicals

There are some queens in Broookings.

RedRabbit

Coconuts can’t survive there; there’s zero chance so don’t try it. 

I’m not sure on kings. I’m not aware of any north of San Francisco so I think it’s doubtful, but maybe worth a try. Queens should grow well there. Kentia could be worth a try there too.

Edited by RedRabbit

NorCalKing

I'm in a solid 9B with 10X your heat, and I can barely do a King. Good luck. All 9B's are not created equal FYI.

• Like 1

Chester B

There are queens, I didn't see any Kings, and its too cold for Coconuts.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Pretty sure this is squirrel damage...

I noticed several fronds drooping and thought it a natural shed and this was part of the process, but the “ shed” was painfully asymmetrical. Upon closer inspection, I found this! It gnawed the underside of the petiole, thus causing the collapse.

Tell you what, squirrel pot pie sounds great about now. The symmetry of my palm is being ruined. It hasn’t hit the upper third...yet but I’m sending out a dinner alert for all those red tailed hawks that are visiting for the winter. Honestly, of all the things that could happen...mulling splint supports...maybe a baffle (which should really add to the beauty of my palm) any other suggestions?
    • ShaneHarding
      By ShaneHarding
      Hi guys I’m fairly new to tropical gardening started this year in may and I have fallen head first into things and have learnt an awful lot already . 

I've already got 2 x Phoenix canariensis  - 5x Washingtonia robustas and a trachycarpus fortunei which are doing really well but I want to branch out abit and see what’s possible to grow in my area!
      I live in the coastal village of Braunton in North Devon - south west England zone 9b and I’m around 10 meters above sea level .
      I'm wondering if anyone has tried to grow syagrus romanzoffiana santa catarina (supposedly hardy queen palm ) and Phoenix sylvestris (silver date palm) I’m the south of England or even England in general with any success? 

thanks in advance 
      Shane 
    • Zoltan
      By Zoltan
      I see some people say Dypsis Lucentes usda zone 10 and up.I disasagree with that at least here in Florida.
      In St Augustine by Aligator farm entrance you can see many of them.I talked to the zoo and they told me they planted them maybe 15 yrs ago as 5-7 gallons by now they are tall maybe 12 feet or more.You can see them from A1A. But also you see some in downtown around the belive or not.This is usda zone 9a .But if this is not enough,I live in Jacksonville at oceanway which is east of 95 ,we have on Pulaski rd zip code 32218 by church for minimum 10 yrs  about 10 -12 feet tall. planted right by entrance the wall.  And if this is still not enough at Jacksonville Airport at Hilton has at pool backside of the building w/o any protection beside it planted right by the building.So I think if you place it on sunny side and close to building it can tolarete all the way to Jacksonville. I don’t have any idea about 8b zone like west of Nort Florida or Ga …Also I know a person listed close to Jacksonville airport she planted a Dypsis decaying “ triangle palm “ back in 1990 right by her house.It’s made it eversince and it’s way taller than her house.She protected at beginning heat pad etc .She has some photo at palmtalk . I have 2 of them I never heated them ,but covered however I can’t cover anymore they are out of reach .Over 12 feet or so.I got them from Home Depot 3 or 4 years ago.Even leaves get touched they come back nicely.Mine not planted by house but by fence and it get early sun till late afternoon sun…

• Paradise Found
      By Paradise Found
      I've been thinking of planting one soon.  and like to know if anyone else has any experience with them in the PNW? Good or Bad results. 
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Are there distinguishing characteristics for this Trachy? I’ve read they have thicker trunks and bright yellow tips on their more rigid leaf segments?