• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How much warmer is it by the water than inland

climate change virginia

Hi I was wondering how much more warm it is by a lake/body of water than inland. Thanks :)

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Depends.. many variables including:

* Depth of the body of water: Shallower:  It may stay warmer longer, but, Could cool down fast as well, depending on overall weather conditions.  Deeper:  Colder water can be moved to the surface from below, esp. if it is windy over a long enough period of time ( think the Great Lakes / Lake Tahoe ). 

* Time of year and location:  A pond in Florida or AZ will stay warmer- in winter- longer/ warm up faster sooner in spring than the same sized body of water in Kansas or Ohio.

* Which way the wind is blowing on a cold night:  South side of a warm body of water may keep temperatures in your yard warmer when the wind blows out of the north, over the lake. How much warmth is provided can depend on how strong the wind is as well.

* On the coast: While proximity to the ocean, in CA. for example, might keep you from freezing, still going to be quite chilly, esp. if breezy, out of the west or north. Same effect can occur in FL. though the east coast of the state might stay a tad warmer than the west coast in that situation.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Depends.. many variables including:

* Depth of the body of water: Shallower:  It may stay warmer longer, but, Could cool down fast as well, depending on overall weather conditions.  Deeper:  Colder water can be moved to the surface from below, esp. if it is windy over a long enough period of time ( think the Great Lakes / Lake Tahoe ). 

* Time of year and location:  A pond in Florida or AZ will stay warmer- in winter- longer/ warm up faster sooner in spring than the same sized body of water in Kansas or Ohio.

* Which way the wind is blowing on a cold night:  South side of a warm body of water may keep temperatures in your yard warmer when the wind blows out of the north, over the lake. How much warmth is provided can depend on how strong the wind is as well.

* On the coast: While proximity to the ocean, in CA. for example, might keep you from freezing, still going to be quite chilly, esp. if breezy, out of the west or north. Same effect can occur in FL. though the east coast of the state might stay a tad warmer than the west coast in that situation.

the depth is about 25ft and the outline is 5 miles I live 650ft away from it I meant to ask during winter sorry for not being clear

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

10 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

the depth is about 25ft and the outline is 5 miles I live 650ft away from it I meant to ask during winter sorry for not being clear

It will also depend on the strength of the wind. If it is a light breeze, the warming effect will be reduced to the shoreline.

I would say that as a general rule, lakes or bays only provide extra warmth right at the shore on calm nights. The growth of that warm bubble increases with wind speed. There are so many factors into play to give a hard rule. My hunch is that although you are close to the lake, it won't provide that much of a difference for you in Virginia. But I may be mistaken, if I were you I would talk to neighbors and set up thermometers or even drive around in the car with a temperature indicator to make personal observations.

Being that far north, you would really only see a major difference early in the cold season during the first few big cold fronts before the water loses most of its heat. The reason proximity to water makes such a big difference in Florida is that water temps are often in the 60s and 70s even in mid winter. Even then, long duration cold (like in 2010) can suck out the heat even in Florida and really reduce the effect of water moderation. Southeast Florida runs much warmer than the west coast because it's next to a pipeline of warm water directly from the Caribbean. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

On 12/13/2020 at 11:02 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

Nearby topography will also effect the temperatures.  I have a predawn ritual of checking the swell, wind, ocean temps and coastal air temps using a couple of sites (CDIP or Coastal Data Information Program from UCSD's Scripps Institute of Oceanography and iWindsurf/iKite).  The closest beach reading to me is about 2 miles south at Moonlight Beach in Encinitas which has a ridgeline to the east and is half way between two major river valleys with coastal lagoons.  Temp was 48 f at 6am.  About 3 miles south there is a wind and temperature station located in San Elijo Lagoon,  again right next to the beach and temp at the same time was 37 f, or 11 degrees colder.  It was clear with light wind from the east flowing down to the ocean.  Proximity to the 60 f water wasn't what kept Moonlight warmer, it was the absence of the direct flow of cold air from inland down the river valley.

This is more of a confirmation of what others have pointed out, which is one factor in of itself can't be relied upon to determine differences in temperature.  You have to look at all the moving pieces that determine a specific micro-climate.  Yes, I'm a weather junky, it effects my business, my playtime (surfing) and my garden.:D 

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation