IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My first real attempt at germinating palm seeds

Jan Jo

Hi! 

I've been growing palms in my garden for several years now, but this last summer/autumn I tried my hand at seed germination for the first time.. And it really is addictive! ;)

Still experimenting with techniques (bags, trays and pots) and mediums (so far potting soil heavily ammended with perlite but about to start trying sphagnum moss), heat mats, etc. 

IMG_20201212_211759_copy_750x562.jpg.e7f9c1fa79c1016e25cbc7d724f13809.jpg

I've managed to have some success with at least some of every batch/species I'm trying (so far with the exception of Veitchia Spiralis, which is frustrating as I'd really like one!):

Veitchia Arecina (easy) 

Beccariophoenix Alfredii (easy) 

Sabal Lisa (easy) 

Pritchardia Pacifica (some) 

Dypsis Decaryii (seeds from a palm in my garden - sprouted within a week!) 

Verschaffeltia Splendida (some) 

Hyophorbe Indica (some) 

Dypsis Baronii black petiole (3 out of 10) 

Euterpe edulis x oleracea (only 1 out of 10) 

I even managed to germinate a Mauritia Flexuosa seed..

IMG_20201212_211450_copy_750x1000.jpg.82a9caafbb6ada3f11bf73714ef9ef73.jpg

No idea what I'd do with it even if does survive! Would never survive in my climate outdoors and it hardly seems like an indoor palm. Anyone have any experience with it indoors or in pots? 

Going to try my hand at Jubaeopsis Caffra next.. I've read they're tough, thinking of trying sphagnum moss in a tray. Any suggestions / comments welcome! 

Thanks for reading, 

J

IMG_20201212_211724_copy_750x1000.jpg

IMG_20201212_211637_copy_750x1000.jpg

IMG_20201212_211705_copy_750x1000.jpg

IMG_20201212_211503_copy_750x1000.jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jan Jo said:

I even managed to germinate a Mauritia Flexuosa seed..

No idea what I'd do with it even if does survive! Would never survive in my climate outdoors and it hardly seems like an indoor palm. Anyone have any experience with it indoors or in pots? 

I germinated a couple of seeds about 7 years ago but my experience is limited to just a couple of months.  They grow pretty fast and gain vertical growth right away.  They need a lot of water at this stage and put out a lot of roots - unfortunately mine dried up in summer after missing a day of watering.  :badday:Hopefully you will take better care of yours!

Jon

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

Germinating palm seeds can be a blast despite occasional frustrations. Good work and keep it up.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

4 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

Going to try my hand at Jubaeopsis Caffra next.. I've read they're tough, thinking of trying sphagnum moss in a tray. Any suggestions / comments welcome! 

Congrats on your germination successes!  For your Jubaeopsis caffra, you might consider trying the method I use.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Fusca said:

I germinated a couple of seeds about 7 years ago but my experience is limited to just a couple of months.  They grow pretty fast and gain vertical growth right away.  They need a lot of water at this stage and put out a lot of roots - unfortunately mine dried up in summer after missing a day of watering.  :badday:Hopefully you will take better care of yours!

Jon

Thanks Jon. An ultra-tropical palm that won't survive missing a day of watering in summer doesn't sound like a likely candidate for living a long, prosperous life under my care and supervision, but I'll do my best.. 

Edited by Jan Jo
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Germinating palm seeds can be a blast despite occasional frustrations. Good work and keep it up.

Thanks! I'll do my best

5 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

Congrats on your germination successes!  For your Jubaeopsis caffra, you might consider trying the method I use.  

Thanks Mike! Very interesting! I'm assuming they're closely related genera then (the name certainly suggests that).. 

I will take that advice on board. I was planning on using heat underneath the Jubaeopsis but from what you're saying that's best avoided. And cracking the seeds sounds like a challenge, but I'll try that too! I'll keep you posted. 

J

I am germinating jubaeopsis caffra at the moment. I received the seeds on 25 of November from RPS. I soaked them for 4 days changing the water twice a day. After I placed them in a plastic container with simple tissue paper. One way is to  place the container inside a black pot outside in the sun and is covered on top with a piece of glass. In the pot the container can exceed 38c so I move a bit the glass from the pot to allow air in, so the container will not overheat. The container is also covered inside the pot so the seeds have no direct sun. I used this method for other seeds in the winter.

20201213_112536.thumb.jpg.e6edab19cdf2c7b3e44dd33585825b79.jpg

In the evening when the temp drops, I bring the container at home and I put it on the internet box. The container is on a constant 29-30c temp (just be careful when you do that and make sure the container is perfectly dry). Sometimes I prefer to leave the container on the internet box and during the day.

20201213_091632.thumb.jpg.2d50c6b54753d723fe89e81291e5e448.jpg20201213_112420.thumb.jpg.9e7ce971748d870e75af7fe65d179026.jpg

After 11 days the first seed germinated and the next day the second one. I hope more will germinate and they will keep growing without rot issues. This is just my experiment so far with these seeds.

20201213_091837.thumb.jpg.fd0031ca52a15922691d9fd9621dc778.jpg

• Like 8

@Jan Jo There is probably no greater fun in the horticulture hobby than experiencing the growth of a palm from germination to maturity.  Hopefully, you'll get to see quite a bit of that.

• Like 8

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

6 hours ago, Stelios said:

I am germinating jubaeopsis caffra at the moment. I received the seeds on 25 of November from RPS. I soaked them for 4 days changing the water twice a day. After I placed them in a plastic container with simple tissue paper. One way is to  place the container inside a black pot outside in the sun and is covered on top with a piece of glass. In the pot the container can exceed 38c so I move a bit the glass from the pot to allow air in, so the container will not overheat. The container is also covered inside the pot so the seeds have no direct sun. I used this method for other seeds in the winter.

In the evening when the temp drops, I bring the container at home and I put it on the internet box. The container is on a constant 29-30c temp (just be careful when you do that and make sure the container is perfectly dry). Sometimes I prefer to leave the container on the internet box and during the day.

20201213_091632.thumb.jpg.2d50c6b54753d723fe89e81291e5e448.jpg20201213_112420.thumb.jpg.9e7ce971748d870e75af7fe65d179026.jpg

After 11 days the first seed germinated and the next day the second one. I hope more will germinate and they will keep growing without rot issues. This is just my experiment so far with these seeds.

Wow! Germination within 11 days seems very impressive for Jubaeopsis, you're obviously on to something... I take it you didn't crack open or "de-lid" the seeds as others recommend.. And I guess your internet router will give off as much heat as a heat mat. So maybe 24-hour heat helps this species germinate too. Interesting how different approaches can all work, I guess the main thing is to avoid rot... 

Thanks! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@Jan Jo There is probably no greater fun in the horticulture hobby than experiencing the growth of a palm from germination to maturity.  Hopefully, you'll get to see quite a bit of that.

Thanks! I hope so. Though I imagine I'll end up giving most of the "survivors" away, some due to inappropriate choices (based on climate needs) and others due to lack of garden space... 

But I do look forward to seeing a chosen few make it to maturity :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

Thanks Mike! Very interesting! I'm assuming they're closely related genera then (the name certainly suggests that).. 

I will take that advice on board. I was planning on using heat underneath the Jubaeopsis but from what you're saying that's best avoided. And cracking the seeds sounds like a challenge, but I'll try that too! I'll keep you posted. 

J

Keeping them warmer than Jubaea chilensis is probably a good idea, research the temps where they originate from.  I've lost so many different seeds on a heat mat that I don't use them for anything, even if it takes longer.  It could be because some seeds need a fluctuation and the heat mat is just a static temperature, I dunno.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fallen Munk said:

Keeping them warmer than Jubaea chilensis is probably a good idea, research the temps where they originate from.  I've lost so many different seeds on a heat mat that I don't use them for anything, even if it takes longer.  It could be because some seeds need a fluctuation and the heat mat is just a static temperature, I dunno.

I get the impression Jubaeopsis would appreciate heat during the day, maybe sometimes room temperature at night would be ok?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

I get the impression Jubaeopsis would appreciate heat during the day, maybe sometimes room temperature at night would be ok?

Sounds like a plan.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

It could be because some seeds need a fluctuation and the heat mat is just a static temperature, I dunno.

I use a cheap lamp timer to pulse the heat mat, 12 hours on and off.  :winkie:

• Like 4

San Francisco, California

14 hours ago, Stelios said:

I like this idea, I do the same thing except with my satellite TV box.

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

@Jan Jo you Go!

Keep at it!

Palms are not beans, they can often be a challenge, but, they're so worth it.

See my PM.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

12 hours ago, Jan Jo said:

Wow! Germination within 11 days seems very impressive for Jubaeopsis, you're obviously on to something... I take it you didn't crack open or "de-lid" the seeds as others recommend.. And I guess your internet router will give off as much heat as a heat mat. So maybe 24-hour heat helps this species germinate too. Interesting how different approaches can all work, I guess the main thing is to avoid rot... 

Thanks! 

I checked about different methods to germinate these seeds and I decided to try this way ( I never tried to crack open or de-lid seeds before). If some will not germinate until Spring time, I might try another method. I believe some of my seeds germinated faster cause they should be really fresh.

• Like 1

@Jan Jo before you know it you’ll have a space like this

266ADDF7-CF68-4014-9430-9D3561456659.thumb.jpeg.c72948619e62a0d583a2f99c51421b6f.jpeg

• Like 7

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

6 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

@Jan Jo before you know it you’ll have a space like this

266ADDF7-CF68-4014-9430-9D3561456659.thumb.jpeg.c72948619e62a0d583a2f99c51421b6f.jpeg

Hahaha.. My problem is I don't have a conservatory or outhouse, it's my dining room table (which is in the sunniest corner of the house) which is beginning to look like that... And I'm not sure how much longer I can get away with it with the missus... 

(I told her it was only for a couple of months, tops, until the "worst of the winter" is over...) :(

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 12/13/2020 at 10:43 AM, Stelios said:

Hi Stelios! How did the rest of your Jubaeopsis seeds do?? 

I tried your method but no luck yet, others which I kept without bottom heat seem to have done better. At least there's no signs of rot on the ones with your method ;)

The rest of my seedlings are doing ok, had a couple of Veitchia Arecina seedlings dampen off unfortunately, one of my Pritchardia pacífica also, but the rest seem ok so far. Both Verschaffeltia Splendida seedlings have produced about 5 mini fronds in about 5 months! 

Edited by Jan Jo
  • Upvote 1

Hi Jan Jo

So far 6 seeds germinated with this method. I decided to plant them in a very well draining mixture of soil already. The other 5 still did not germinated but they look good. They have no sign of rot and when I test them in water they are not floating. I now use the bottom heat from the router during the day and in the night I let them at room temp for a change, but so far nothing either. As I understand jubaeopsis might take more time to germinate. At spring and summer I might try another way, if till then nothing happens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Spring seems to have finally set it in in Spain, so I decided to pot up my germinated seedlings from last summer/autumn...  Almost all have made it through the winter indoors.

Tensions are running high at home regarding my continued use of the dining room table, so almost all have now gone outside... 

IMG_20210402_191014_copy_750x1000.jpg.cd76753ce588a3a87ae4ccaaaaf74d0b.jpg

Beccariophoenix Alfredii.. 

IMG_20210402_192705_copy_750x1000.jpg.dbc1b6bc63e11d2a797bc7791c7d061a.jpg

A mix of stuff, all of my original list are represented (including a variegated Caryota Mitis I forgot to mention), with the exception of Veitchia Spiralis which really let me down... 

IMG_20210402_192655_copy_1000x750.jpg.13652d25aaa58f62d5c855d996183c94.jpg

Mauritia Flexuosa and several Veitchia Arecina.. 

IMG_20210402_191001_copy_750x1000.jpg.1196bc5f7dbd22b27ad971078d77c23a.jpg

Sabal Palmetto Lisa

Three of the five Jubaepsis seeds have sent down strong tap roots which are coming out of the bottom of their pots, but no sign of any alveoli yet... should I be worried? 

Fingers crossed! 

J

P. S. Forgot to mention, I also received some Chamaedorea Radicalis seeds from Doomsdave which have started popping too :)

Edited by Jan Jo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/2/2021 at 9:31 PM, Jan Jo said:

Spring seems to have finally set it in in Spain, so I decided to pot up my germinated seedlings from last summer/autumn...  Almost all have made it through the winter indoors.

Tensions are running high at home regarding my continued use of the dining room table, so almost all have now gone outside... 

IMG_20210402_191014_copy_750x1000.jpg.cd76753ce588a3a87ae4ccaaaaf74d0b.jpg

Beccariophoenix Alfredii.. 

IMG_20210402_192705_copy_750x1000.jpg.dbc1b6bc63e11d2a797bc7791c7d061a.jpg

A mix of stuff, all of my original list are represented (including a variegated Caryota Mitis I forgot to mention), with the exception of Veitchia Spiralis which really let me down... 

IMG_20210402_192655_copy_1000x750.jpg.13652d25aaa58f62d5c855d996183c94.jpg

Mauritia Flexuosa and several Veitchia Arecina.. 

IMG_20210402_191001_copy_750x1000.jpg.1196bc5f7dbd22b27ad971078d77c23a.jpg

Sabal Palmetto Lisa

Three of the five Jubaepsis seeds have sent down strong tap roots which are coming out of the bottom of their pots, but no sign of any alveoli yet... should I be worried? 

Fingers crossed! 

J

P. S. Forgot to mention, I also received some Chamaedorea Radicalis seeds from Doomsdave which have started popping too :)

I am also using the dining room table at the moment :lol: and also not in the good books but hey we could be doing things much worse! What seeds are you trying at the moment? I’ve ordered quite a few and having really good success, I’ve got them in bags with very slightly damp perlite in a pillow case in my bed cupboard with a heat mat on a sensor which I turn up in the day and down at night. I’ve just about managed to germinate 50% of all the 20 types I trying and get more every week. My favorite that I’m doing at the moment are bentinckia condapanna which I have been trying to get hold of for a while now. 

On 4/4/2021 at 10:01 PM, TropicalGardenSpain said:

I am also using the dining room table at the moment :lol: and also not in the good books but hey we could be doing things much worse! What seeds are you trying at the moment? I’ve ordered quite a few and having really good success, I’ve got them in bags with very slightly damp perlite in a pillow case in my bed cupboard with a heat mat on a sensor which I turn up in the day and down at night. I’ve just about managed to germinate 50% of all the 20 types I trying and get more every week. My favorite that I’m doing at the moment are bentinckia condapanna which I have been trying to get hold of for a while now. 

Hahaha, indeed!

I've got at least one of each of those mentioned in the first post in this thread, and just a couple of days ago ordered some Burretiokentia hapala seeds, and some Lanonia Dasyantha.. I promised myself I wouldn't, but I just couldn't help myself. 

Bentinckia Condapanna?? That's been on my wanted list for ages and I can't get hold of them. Maybe a seedling trade or purchase is in order?? 

J

I picked up some caffra seeds and I'm trying them the same as my jubaea.  So far no action, but it's only been a week.  in the photo Caffra is the bottom left, the other three are jubaea.

Jubaeaopsis caffra1.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

I picked up some caffra seeds and I'm trying them the same as my jubaea.  So far no action, but it's only been a week.  in the photo Caffra is the bottom left, the other three are jubaea.

Jubaeaopsis caffra1.jpg

Good luck! Keep me posted ;)