IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal urseana vs sabal palmetto

EastCanadaTropicals

1 hour ago, ahosey01 said:

Keep in mind this guy is like just over 10 years old when thinking about protection:

E8CD8C77-0F6A-4865-AE06-41EF89DF136A.thumb.jpeg.66a6a5ae15672773780b98df5aa3ac8e.jpeg

Nice, is that a Birmingham?

Nothing to say here. 

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

No palm can survive Montreal and frozen ground. You need to have a heated shelter that keeps the ground around your palm thawed at all times. It’s that or pots. 

I’m from Toronto and it is significantly warmer than Montreal. Some parts of the city are 7a and I can tell you there are no palms there in the ground without as Meg said “Heroic protection”. I’ve been to Montreal in winter and it’s downright frigid in comparison. Potted palms are your best bet. 

Mike Page was the palm guy in Montreal and he used to have videos of his elaborate protection methods. I’ve heard he’s passed away now so you may not be able see his YouTube videos anymore. You have mentioned James Palms in another post. Follow what he does exactly if you want to try a palm in the ground. He lives in Norval which is 5b as well due to its elevation and distance from Lake Ontario. 

Before I moved here I was growing many cold hardy palms from seed. I lived in zone 6B in Oakville, Ontario 500’ from Lake Ontario and my plan was to sink the pots in the ground over summer so they looked like they were in ground and then in late fall pull them out into a heated sunroom. The only palms I would consider protecting are Sabal minor and needle palms due to their hardiness and short height.  Some winters I only got a light dusting of snow and the ground remained thawed for most of the winter. Even with that those palms need a lot of help. 

I'm boxing the palms with heat and wrapping it every winter.

Nothing to say here. 

9 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

No, S. uresana.

Nice, I think Birmingham is a better choice for me however.

Nothing to say here. 

On 12/13/2020 at 10:38 AM, EastCanadaTropicals said:

I'm not that far away to zone 6a, according to the interactive hardiness zone map

I used to live just below Quebec by about 20 miles and was a marginal 5a... I have a hard time fathoming any part of Quebec as a 6a. Are you next to a large body of water ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RJ said:

I used to live just below Quebec by about 20 miles and was a marginal 5a... I have a hard time fathoming any part of Quebec as a 6a. Are you next to a large body of water ?

No its just that Montreal is barely zone 6 in downtown near the lake thanks to the urban heat island.

• Like 1

Nothing to say here. 

On 1/10/2021 at 2:22 PM, ahosey01 said:

I really think planting Sabal uresana in-ground in your climate is probably a waste of time.

There are a Sonoran Desert native.  At higher elevations in the Sonoran Desert like Ures (where S. uresana got its name) summer highs are, on average, 85F-95F (29F-35F), often up to and above 38C.  At mid-low elevations in the Sonoran Desert, daytime highs are never below 38C  in the summer and typically above 40C.  I had like 50-something days above 43C this year.  Looking at data for Montreal, the warmest you've been in the last 60 years was 37C, and the coldest was -37C.

I'm all for trying but I see no way on earth you could swing S. uresana at your place.

What about Birmingham.

Nothing to say here. 

• 2 years later...
On 1/10/2021 at 1:38 PM, ahosey01 said:

Keep in mind this guy is like just over 10 years old when thinking about protection:

E8CD8C77-0F6A-4865-AE06-41EF89DF136A.thumb.jpeg.66a6a5ae15672773780b98df5aa3ac8e.jpeg

I remember when they first planted these, I was a student at Arizona lol

I have palms I've grown from the largest uresana seeds I collected on campus around 2011. If you check the wiki article about uresana, that's my photo, and that's the big palm from campus. 

These are definitely the green form though. I recently visited the John Fairey Garden outside of Houston and their palms are almost white. They're the same color as Brahea armata, I couldn't believe it. 

Edited by fr8train
  • Like 2

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

35 minutes ago, fr8train said:

I have palms I've grown from the largest uresana seeds I collected on campus around 2011. If you check the wiki article about uresana, that's my photo, and that's the big palm from campus. 

How big are your palms from seed and do you have pics?

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

23 hours ago, Allen said:

How big are your palms from seed and do you have pics?

They're all probably smaller than they should be, I actually have a lot of them. I didn't pot them up for years because I didn't have any more room in my apartment, first in Wyoming, then in Illinois. I'm excited to see how they do here in Texas, now in bigger pots, and eventually in the ground. 

uPalm1.jpg

uPalm3.jpg

uPalm2.jpg

uPalm4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick