IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter Protection

ahosey01

Anybody ever try sticking a roof de-icing cord on a temperature-activated outlet under their mulch?  Curious if this would buy you a few degrees in your yard overnight.

never thought of that you are one smart man

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

10 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

Anybody ever try sticking a roof de-icing cord on a temperature-activated outlet under their mulch?  Curious if this would buy you a few degrees in your yard overnight.

I debated doing something like this in my elevated planters. Ultimately I just ended up heavily mulching and letting it ride. Still keeping it as an option the next time we see zone 8 temps 

Will heat up the ground somewhat but not the air above ground.  This method is best for protecting palm roots in areas where the ground freezes deep enough to damage roots.   Mine is just over 6" so I just mulch.

Freeze depth...Scroll to map at bottom

https://charlesandhudson.com/check_the_frost_line_before_digging_footings/

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Really?

I would think the opposite. If warm air rises, I can’t imagine a de-icing cable warming up anything beside the immediate soil it is touching. I’d expect, meanwhile, that if it’s running at 88 degrees like the specs on the Frost King one say, that you’d get at least a few degrees warmth up to a few feet above ground.

I could certainly be wrong.

1 hour ago, ahosey01 said:

Really?

I would think the opposite. If warm air rises, I can’t imagine a de-icing cable warming up anything beside the immediate soil it is touching. I’d expect, meanwhile, that if it’s running at 88 degrees like the specs on the Frost King one say, that you’d get at least a few degrees warmth up to a few feet above ground.

I could certainly be wrong.

If your plant has a enclosure and the cable is lying on top of the ground in the enclosure, sure - if not you can't effectively heat an open air backyard with a cable in/on the ground.   You are not going to get a few degrees of heat a few feet up even over the cable if it is buried under mulch.

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

2 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

Your original post says burying a cable under mulch and wanting to know if your 'yard'  can be warmer by a few degrees, no?  

Edited by Allen

34 minutes ago, Allen said:

Your original post says burying a cable under mulch and wanting to know if your 'yard'  can be warmer by a few degrees, no?  

Fair point.

I guess I meant the ambient air temperature a few feet above the mulch.

I tried a rope light on the ground of a clear tent once.

When coiled inside and tested it was over a hundred degrees but only offered a 2F bump

in temps in the tent, this could have been raised with a few degrees with blankets tossed over the tent but still

not very effective.

• Like 1

Your biggest problem is that there is nothing to hold the heat. For shrubs and small trees you could use a tarp or tent to hold the heat from a given source, but any non covered heat will quickly dissipate.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, amh said:

Your biggest problem is that there is nothing to hold the heat. For shrubs and small trees you could use a tarp or tent to hold the heat from a given source, but any non covered heat will quickly dissipate.

Agreed.

Figured you might get a couple degrees before it fully dissipates.

For the record - I'm not actually planning on doing this.  This was just a fun question I thought I'd ask.

how many degrees would 2 layers of frost cloth provide?

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

18 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

Agreed.

Figured you might get a couple degrees before it fully dissipates.

For the record - I'm not actually planning on doing this.  This was just a fun question I thought I'd ask.

Some sort of water feature might be best.

18 minutes ago, climate change virginia said:

I don't know the answer to that question.

Frost cloth really doesn't insulate by design. Tarps, blankets, tents, etc are best, but it all depends on how cold it gets, frozen ground is frozen.

1 hour ago, climate change virginia said:

Essentially none if you are wrapping the palm, unless you have a heat source (lights) under there.

If it isn't windy and you are covering a small plant and the ground, it can help to trap the heat from the ground  to get you a couple degrees.  I do this with small plants and old beat up coolers.  It works well when the ground is relativly warm, and the cold snap is breif (one night-ish).  Also works well to keep rain/ice out of seedlings crowns, since it is usually wet before the temp really drops. 

Get yourself a cheap wireless indoor outdoor thermometers that has multiple wireless sensors. 

Like this one... 

I learned alot by trying protection methods (cooler, wrap no lights, wrap with lights) and keeping the remote sensors with the palms. 

• Like 2

oh sorry I meant tarp I'm also going to put burlap under with light

Edited by climate change virginia

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

I kicked around the idea of calling myself brain freeze Virginia 

or 50% climate tax Virginia but I don't live in V (or fear) and they

really don't roll off the tongue so I gave up.