Phoneix, Arizona

074DBE35-50CC-4630-A873-0AD86E21FC19.jpeg

• Like 7

Silas_Sancona
10 minutes ago, xoRudy said:

Credit : Shamus O’ Leary’s Tropical Fruit trees

Phoneix, Arizona

074DBE35-50CC-4630-A873-0AD86E21FC19.jpeg

:greenthumb:  You pick up anything from him?

xoRudy

@Silas_Sancona I didn’t! Not yet, I was going to buy a Cuban or two but I’m going to wait to see what survived over the winter and buy around March.

• Like 2

aztropic

Good example of Cuban showing the difference of Florida growth vs. Arizona growth. Tropical palms grow much slower in our desert.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

xoRudy
6 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Good example of Cuban showing the difference of Florida growth vs. Arizona growth. Tropical palms grow much slower in our desert.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

How can you tell? Was it the same size years ago?

aztropic

Look how far apart the growth rings are on the Florida growth at the bottom of the trunk compared to the short distance between rings on the Arizona growth...

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2

NickJames
3 hours ago, aztropic said:

Look how far apart the growth rings are on the Florida growth at the bottom of the trunk compared to the short distance between rings on the Arizona growth...

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

This is even evident on royals that went from South Florida to Central Florida. The shorter growing season evident here!! I took this yesterday at an outlet mall near my home. 

48DA6A4B-0AC1-49AF-9A92-203E92B8371D.jpeg

• Like 3

aztropic

Royals that I have grown from seed,entirely in Arizona,have consistantly spaced growth rings...

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

16073559350137735351232175098609.jpg

• Like 3

James B

Looks great! It’s true Florida growth will be more. But if you water it with copious amount of water, it will still grow fast

Most large palms will see a quick reduction in size between the rings due to transplant shock. Some palms more than others.

Archontophoenix are notorious for this as well. 

When palms are planted before they start trunking they will have more consistent growth rings as long as watering is consistent as well.

Edited by James B

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Lilli
      By Lilli
      Hi! I am new to this forum and I really hope someone can't help me. I have an 18 year old Foxtail palm in my front yard at sea level in Paia Hawaii. It was magnificent and my pride and joy.  My current tenant drilled 5 bolts holding up a basketball hoop into the front of the trunk of my palm (see pictures), obviously without permission. I am so worried that it is killing my tree and I don't know how to remove the bolts without introducing bacteria and potentially killing my tree. Attached are recent picture showing a dark streak going down the truck from the hoop. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to remove the bolts/hoop, patch the holes to prevent infection, reduce scarring, and to make sure my tree survives?  Thanks so much!

• xoRudy
      By xoRudy
      Good afternoon, 
      I was scrolling down my camera roll and I realized that I took some pictures of my palms in only two parts of my yard almost exactly a year ago. I figured I’d take some photos today and see the comparison in growth over the year. Enjoy! (I know my palms are close, that’s how I want them )
      First & Third photo are from August 22, 2020 (before)
      second and fourth photo are from September 1, 2021 (after)

• xoRudy
      By xoRudy
      After a long hunt for a Green Bismarckia last year, finally found one and bought it from @Joe palma. I planted it in the ground on August of 2020. I was a bit concerned for it due to the health state of it, location of hole, time of planting and the climate here in Maricopa, Arizona. The winters touch the 20s and the summers touch the 118s. After using shaders for the months of August, September, and October (2020). Then wrapping it with a blanket on the cold winter days, I can now say that it’s grabbed and now growing. The growth of the palm over this year hasn’t been too crazy but the overal health, color, and look of the palm is amazing. I also haven’t used shaders this summer and it hasn’t skipped a beat.

August 2020 (Top Photo)
      August 2021 (Bottom Photo) 

• D Palm
      By D Palm
      I live in N Florida in between Lake City, Fl and Jacksonville, Fl. I planted this Royal behind my red shed last summer. It took some leaf damage but had since put out a new spear this spring. I clipped the fronds and moved it to a sunny spot. The root ball has grown about 3x the size and I plan on moving it close to the south side facing part of my house to help protect it more. I mulched  the base for winter and threw a blanket over it a couple of times. I travel for work so most of the time these palms are not protected.  The only spear pull I had were the queens but they are all nicely recovering and everything is very thirsty waiting for summer rains.

• Zekorora
      By Zekorora
      I’ve been looking for these two palms for a while now and can’t find any. Super rare!