IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Selection for Spring 2021. Thoughts? Tips?

SunnySoCal

Somewhat new into the world of palms, but finding I really love them! Done a lot of research to figure out which ones I can winter indoors, and pretty sure I've made my selection. Feel free to add any thoughts, tips, species suggestions, or point out something I may be mistaken about. If I'm wrong about any of these and they don't make good plants for someone who's not all that experienced, please point that out!  I'm only mentioning the ones that are more atypical as houseplants. 

Pics taken from google images since I don't have any of these species yet, lol. 

Ptychosperma elegans/Solitaire Palm- Chose this because a lot of sources have claimed it as pretty much the best bet for an indoor-hardy palm with that classic palm look, plus it's fast-growing and that's a huge plus since I love watching them grow. 

Ptychosperma-elegans.jpg.2329cc0efb0bec6957d0c9cead281b62.jpg

Trachycarpus fortunei/Windmill Palm- Supposedly a really easy palm to keep as a houseplant. Honestly I think European fans are a bit more attractive, but I don't want too many plants with really high light requirements. 

Trachycarpus-fortunei-Indoor-House-Plants.jpg.d33ed88a8e9d3ea533aa9dbdea0f677b.jpg

Chamaedorea hooperiana/King Maya Palm- Supposedly these guys are really hardy to the indoors despite not being a common houseplant. I hope this is true because I'm in love with the way they look, and really want a faster-growing clumping palm. I like how the clusters are less dense than bamboo palms and the fronds are longer, I think it makes them look more elegant and tropical.

b96eb3220c9b77b377bbf8b14d29a7d4.thumb.jpg.a8818cdd8700ee4b2664f9fe9a561f30.jpg

Adonidia Merillii/Christmas Palm- These guys are my absolute favorite, at least as far as the way they look. I may wait until I have more experience as I've heard they can be more finicky than any of the above palms. But I find them absolutely gorgeous and hope I can successfully grow one someday (soon)! 

christmas-palm-tree-veitchia-merrillii-30-01-b-realpalmtrees_com.jpg.a6737571c87dda556d4b246517591850.jpg

One of my cataractarums is growing like a weed in my apartment. It seems like every time I look at it, there's another sucker and multiple leaves pushing up. 

I'm obsessed with the Lytocaryum Weddellianum after seeing all of Pal Meir's photos, I just really don't have the room for anything now that I had to bring my patio palms inside due to cold nighttime temps. I guess I should move some plants into the office :lol:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SunnySoCal said:

Ptychosperma elegans/Solitaire Palm- Chose this because a lot of sources have claimed it as pretty much the best bet for an indoor-hardy palm

Not sure what is meant by "indoor-hardy" but sounds more like a sales pitch.  I suppose with the right lighting you could grow any of the palms that you listed indoors for a few months, but the Chamaedorea probably has the best chance of survival indoors since the others are not fond of shady conditions.  @JohnAndSancho made a couple of good recommendations - the cataractarum (cat palm) is another species of Chamaedorea that does well indoors and is easier to find as is Chamaedorea elegans (parlor palm).  Welcome to Palmtalk!

Jon

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

23 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

One of my cataractarums is growing like a weed in my apartment. It seems like every time I look at it, there's another sucker and multiple leaves pushing up. 

I'm obsessed with the Lytocaryum Weddellianum after seeing all of Pal Meir's photos, I just really don't have the room for anything now that I had to bring my patio palms inside due to cold nighttime temps. I guess I should move some plants into the office :lol:

Lytocaryum are quite beautiful! With palms it can be hard not to want all of them, haha. My dream which I know will never happen is a species of Pritchardia, as I find them to be the most elegant of all the fan palms. Unfortunately they just have too wide a spread for inside my house even IF they could survive in there. 

20 hours ago, Fusca said:

Not sure what is meant by "indoor-hardy" but sounds more like a sales pitch.  I suppose with the right lighting you could grow any of the palms that you listed indoors for a few months, but the Chamaedorea probably has the best chance of survival indoors since the others are not fond of shady conditions.  @JohnAndSancho made a couple of good recommendations - the cataractarum (cat palm) is another species of Chamaedorea that does well indoors and is easier to find as is Chamaedorea elegans (parlor palm).  Welcome to Palmtalk!

Jon

Thank you for the welcome, and for the suggestion on a cat palm! I'll look into those a little more. 

Indoor-hardy might've been a poor choice of phrase, I've just read or heard from different sources (not all of whom had an investment in selling me something, haha) that they're a bit more adaptable to lower humidity and to some extent, partial shade. The room I'd be growing him in gets several hours of direct sun, and bright indirect all day. I'm planning on providing a humidifier and grow light for the cold months, and giving him a nice shaded deck spot in the summer. Hoping those things might change the equation a bit, as I find solitaires really beautiful and would love to grow a few. 

• Upvote 1