IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

3 nice Beccariophoenix in 9a SE Jacksonville (at night)

CodyORB

41C2D333-506E-49F9-B955-F4D2550D9E8B.thumb.jpeg.99c85d3711b7bd0edc585d8a0ae5d138.jpeg63CB4017-80B0-451A-863D-019670E7BBB0.thumb.jpeg.57aa5d838966eff739e8a992effb352f.jpeg3EBBE6D0-F317-453E-9ADE-8BEC05362FEF.thumb.jpeg.6612258ac40b6d382d0017bfbc0cfff1.jpeg

At a house in the SE Jacksonville area. I know the owner so nobody was alarmed haha. They’ve been in the ground since around 2017. I almost thought these were coconuts! They looked flawless even after the deep cold we got a week or two ago. 

Edited by CodyORB
Time planted
  • Like 5

Those look nice even in the dark.  I just bought two Beccariophonix alfredii off eBay.  At least I hope they are.  It's going to be a while until mine look like that.

20201206_121646~2.jpg

• Like 1

arent these zone 9b plants?

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

26 minutes ago, climate change virginia said:

arent these zone 9b plants?

Palmpedia says that they are hardy to 25 when young and hardier when they get older.  That being said I don't know since I have never had these before.  It also helps if you're in a microclimate.

1 hour ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Palmpedia says that they are hardy to 25 when young and hardier when they get older.  That being said I don't know since I have never had these before.  It also helps if you're in a microclimate.

These were planted before the 2018 freeze which saw ~25F in the area (St Augustine airport had 26F and is about 15 miles south) I wasn’t able to monitor damage on the palms then but they survived. They were undamaged after a 32F with frost accumulation last week.

As for microclimates, there are no major bodies of water nearby. The first palm sits in the open with zero canopy; the other 2 sit next to a screened in area facing south but no canopy. I am impressed at the resilience!

This is technically a 9a, but years in a row  go by with 9b or even 10a minimums and then a 2010-like 8b freeze comes in. 

Edited by CodyORB
  • Like 1