IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Howea Fosterena issues/bugs

JohnAndSancho

Hi, 

A couple months ago I ordered a Kentia palm from an Etsy shop. I got 4 plants in a 1g pot. The smallest of the 4 had some serious browning, and one of the suckers eventually went fully brown and I cut it off. A day or so later, I saw a tiny ball of white fuzz on an opening leaf (mealybugs?) so I squished the bug, gave it a long shower, and treated it with insecticidal soap. 

Today, the tree that had the brown sucker on it felt really squishy and pretty much fell over, so I cut it off at the soil level. Do I need to dig up the roots and repot the remaining 3 Kentias, or will it be ok?

Knock on wood I haven't seen any more bugs on this or any other of my palms, but every one got thrown in the shower and sprayed with insecticidal soap just to be safe - and I'm ordering some Bonide BND609 after researching the forum. I've crammed a lot of palms into this apartment since the pandemic began and I don't want to lose any of them. 

Sorry for all the newbie questions. 

Hi mate, I'm not sure what you mean by 'sucker'.  A Howea will not usually have suckers, it is a solitary palm. But since that plant has apparently rotted off anyway it would be a good idea to repot removing the rotten base and roots. It will give you a chance to repot into some better draining potting mix. A pic may help if you can manage it.

and check out posts like this https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/48442-your-soil-mix-tell-us/  to help you make a better mix.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

My bad on the terminology, I'm still learning. 

I'm going to try Pal Meir's mix on my future palms and repottings. I'm buying 2 L. Weddellianum and I have a Cataractarum that needs repotting as well. 

20201203_185322.jpg

20201203_185411.jpg

21 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

"I'm going to try Pal Meir's mix...."

Well you can't beat that,

Your remaining plants look good but the soil does seem to be too heavy with fines. That is a mix that has already broken down a lot into fine particles.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

It's Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil with a little sand mixed in. It's less than 3 months old, but if I've gotta repot anyway I might as well do the Seramis/bark mix.