Jump to content
8B palms

Schafer Butia hybrids

Recommended Posts

Fallen Munk
54 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

unfortunately I don't have anymore

Understood, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tropicdoc
On 12/3/2020 at 10:11 AM, Ben in Norcal said:

I gave that Butia x Polyandrococos away after growing it to 15g size.  Just looks like an ugly Butia...even Patric thinks that one is a disappointing cross.  No room for that in my yard!

Ditto

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy
On 12/3/2020 at 9:46 AM, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Id love to see photos of Butia X Lyto hybirds!  How long have those been around? 

 

20201205_140701.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

Tons of pinnae

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt N- Dallas

I’ve been growing Butia x Monty for a little over a year- it’s still in a pot (in San Marcos, TX).  So, nothing to report yet.  Seems to be growing at a decent rate.  Butia x Polyandrococcos is growing in Harlingen, TX.  It started out really slow and has picked up the pace since summer.  It’s an oddity at this point, but becoming very silver in color w/ a dainty leaf form. Reminds me of a silver, skinny-leaf form swirling Butia.  Butia x Lytocaryum Wed. Is growing in San Marcos, TX z8b and is a rocket for growth speed .- quadrupled in size since 2018.  It has a very graceful form, dark green leaves and resembles a slimmer mule.  I don’t know how cold hardy it is, I’m thinking less hardy than a mule.  It was small enough to wrap in the cold event of 2018 when the lows dropped to the upper teens.  I left one leaf exposed and it burned.  Now, it’s too large to protect and is on its own.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt N- Dallas

Butia x Lyto Wedd- as a seedling 5 years ago and pictured in Nov. 

6239FB87-DA76-4991-8C6B-2EA5AB3B05ED.jpeg

FF039925-DB83-47DB-BBCA-64BD1A042EDA.jpeg

5694E339-85B9-45E0-BBBB-FB2A293169DF.jpeg

18C64110-0DF4-41C3-9F88-390FB80B1C2C.jpeg

79CA68BF-0A64-4D16-A532-27C185FB5F9B.jpeg

0B68E178-FCAA-4EA9-8C34-1548AF9628C5.jpeg

  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca

Such a cool palm Matt!  Trunk looks just like a regular mule and the leaves look like Lytocaryum.  Hope the weather cooperates and doesn't get too cold for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Hope the weather cooperates and doesn't get too cold for it.

Im thinking this palm will be as cold hardy as a regular mule. Plus Matt's micro climate is doing wonders for his garden =) @Matt N- Dallas what size did you put it in the ground ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt N- Dallas

It was planted as a 1 gal size plant.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josue Diaz

A bit late to the conversation, but here's my schizophylla x romanzoffiana. No issues down to 31F. It's kind of hard to get a good picture of it, but here's a recent pic of part of it. 

 

20201107_141831.thumb.jpg.36a6ec622cc7ceb3fc4293008dc3097e.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr

@buffy great looking example of a better looking Mule in my eyes. Regular mules are so variable and im falling out of love of them haha 

5 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

It was planted as a 1 gal size plant.

So when we doing a Texas palm society meeting at your house haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
2 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

A bit late to the conversation, but here's my schizophylla x romanzoffiana. No issues down to 31F. It's kind of hard to get a good picture of it, but here's a recent pic of part of it. 

 

20201107_141831.thumb.jpg.36a6ec622cc7ceb3fc4293008dc3097e.jpg

Everything looks great Josue!  Love the shot of the dog on guard duty!  Have you had to adjust the pavers as the base thickens up?  It was so much thinner when you first planted it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josue Diaz
6 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Everything looks great Josue!  Love the shot of the dog on guard duty!  Have you had to adjust the pavers as the base thickens up?  It was so much thinner when you first planted it.

Thanks! Ruah is THANKFULLY past his puppy mischief stage and mostly sleeps and barks at squirrels. 

Yeah, it's thickening up and pushing the polymetric sand up and out. I'll probably begin to chip away at the stones near the base, still keeping a snug fit around it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darold Petty

Josue, your dog has the most excellent tail !   (garden looks OK, also)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josue Diaz
5 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Josue, your dog has the most excellent tail !   (garden looks OK, also)

^_^ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freakypalmguy
20 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

I’ve been growing Butia x Monty for a little over a year- it’s still in a pot (in San Marcos, TX).  So, nothing to report yet.  Seems to be growing at a decent rate.  Butia x Polyandrococcos is growing in Harlingen, TX.  It started out really slow and has picked up the pace since summer.  It’s an oddity at this point, but becoming very silver in color w/ a dainty leaf form. Reminds me of a silver, skinny-leaf form swirling Butia.  Butia x Lytocaryum Wed. Is growing in San Marcos, TX z8b and is a rocket for growth speed .- quadrupled in size since 2018.  It has a very graceful form, dark green leaves and resembles a slimmer mule.  I don’t know how cold hardy it is, I’m thinking less hardy than a mule.  It was small enough to wrap in the cold event of 2018 when the lows dropped to the upper teens.  I left one leaf exposed and it burned.  Now, it’s too large to protect and is on its own.  

Hey Matt, do you have any pictures of your butia x polyandrococos?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josue Diaz
1 hour ago, freakypalmguy said:

Hey Matt, do you have any pictures of your butia x polyandrococos?

I have one of those too lol. not very pretty at this stage, at least.

20200905_084338.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dartolution

@Josue Diaz and you live in the desert? Could've fooled me with that first picture! wow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josue Diaz
4 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@Josue Diaz and you live in the desert? Could've fooled me with that first picture! wow!

lol yes, semi desert or steppe, i believe is what we're officially classified as. Only 11.5 inches of rain each year. And so far this rainy season (winter) has been very  dry and bright and sunny.  No significant rainfall here since April if i remember correctly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt N- Dallas

Butia x Polyandrococcos growing in Harlingen, TX z9b.  Pics from Oct: 

F9C05599-E3F6-4C74-B42D-467AB0457F65.jpeg

FA53CEC5-FAFC-42DB-BAD8-7EE4FD8535C7.jpeg

989D51E0-71AD-480F-A2B4-62687FD9329B.jpeg

71041D99-A877-4FA1-B18A-1F84C889EB17.jpeg

079496A9-1BE5-485C-BE0E-EABF82677274.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
necturus

Yours looks like way better than the rest. Others may regret throwing the baby out with the bath water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt N- Dallas

Thank you.  It’s growth has taken off since August and is gaining more silver coloring with age.  It has the stretched appearance of being shade grown, but it’s growing in full sun at 26* latitude.  Will be interesting to see what it grows into.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal
21 hours ago, necturus said:

Yours looks like way better than the rest. Others may regret throwing the baby out with the bath water. 

Nooooope!

That one does look nicer than most of these do, especially the color.  Still a dud IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josue Diaz

I'll hold on to mine for the time being. It's not taking up too much space and who knows what it will look like trucking.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fallen Munk

Yatay X Jubaea one week difference between photos.  It went pinnate just a few days under the grow lights.    There is some damage where the tag was tied.   Looks like it was on there awhile.

hybrids3.jpg

hybrids2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
1 hour ago, Fallen Munk said:

Yatay X Jubaea one week difference between photos.  It went pinnate just a few days under the grow lights.    There is some damage where the tag was tied.   Looks like it was on there awhile.

hybrids3.jpg

hybrids2.jpg

Wow, nice $3.33 price you got on that hybrid!  LOL!  Nice to see it growing at this time of the year though - looks great!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fallen Munk
5 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Wow, nice $3.33 price you got on that hybrid!  LOL!  Nice to see it growing at this time of the year though - looks great!

Haha, don't I wish!  These hybrids ain't cheap or easy to get ahold of, but worth it.  I can't wait to compare the growth rate to my regular Jubaea's.  She's under some expensive grow lights that I invested in for growing 420 and decided I like growing palms better than growing weed.  Thanks for the comment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
18 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

Haha, don't I wish!  These hybrids ain't cheap or easy to get ahold of, but worth it.  I can't wait to compare the growth rate to my regular Jubaea's.  She's under some expensive grow lights that I invested in for growing 420 and decided I like growing palms better than growing weed.  Thanks for the comment!

Yeah, I didn't figure Patric was having a special 93% off end-of-year sale! :P

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
necturus

Anyone know if Patric sells pure Jubaea? I know he sells Parajubaea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B
12 minutes ago, necturus said:

Anyone know if Patric sells pure Jubaea? I know he sells Parajubaea.

I don't think he does.  Tons of people out of California sell them on EBAY for next to nothing.  Or seeds by the hundreds - these aren't hard to source at a small size.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...