Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
greysrigging

Summer Down Under

Recommended Posts

sandgroper

It's mad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone

What a comparison with 40C in Perth and 18.2C in Alice Springs. It was around 25C down my way today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sandgroper

It's 10.07am here and it's already 37c.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone
3 hours ago, sandgroper said:

It's 10.07am here and it's already 37c.  

Flood that coconut with fish and seaweed emulsion and watch it explode.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone

It felt warm here this morning and fully overcast. It peaked at 30.4C with full cloud cover and now the temp is dropping. It looked like it would rain at one point but it didn’t happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
greysrigging

Summer chill in the Red Centre
 

Alice Springs just had its coldest summer day in over 50 years as a burst of cold and wet weather grips central Australia.

A thick band of cloud passing over central Australia this week has been bringing rain and suppressing daytime temperatures in the Red Centre.
1441771579_Auscloud20201224.thumb.jpg.4d39197df9a225ed1f1ea6b42e9f31a9.jpg
Image: Cloud over central Australia on Thursday.
During the 24 hours to 9am on Thursday, the temperature in Alice Springs only reached a high of 17.8ºC. This was the site's coldest summer day since 1967.

Earlier in the week, Halls Creek registered a maximum temperature of just 21.9C during the 24 hours to 9am on Wednesday. This was its coldest December day in records dating back to 1898.

In addition to the cold weather, the thick cloudband has also brought heavy rain. Alice Springs received 63.2mm during the last four days, which is more than a month's worth of rain at this time of year. Alice Springs usually picks up around 39mm during all of December.

Luckily the rain didn't dampen spirits, with locals enjoying the rare sight of the Todd River flowing through town as rain poured down around them.
( Source : Weatherzone )


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone

Just beautiful here tonight. Not a breath of breeze and 22.4C at 7pm. Having a coldie and watching the ducks feed on the lake and watching the blue wrens fly around the garden with the sound of frogs in the background. It doesn’t get any better. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone

At around 9.15 am it’s 20C but with 90% humidity. The plants and palms will love this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sandgroper

12.20pm 34c, some light cloud making things a bit steamy but the plants will be loving it.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
greysrigging

Scorching Christmas Day for southern WA
 

Several towns over the southwest of Western Australia celebrated their hottest Christmas Day in decades and even in more than a century for some locations.

Most people living in the Northern Hemisphere associate Christmas with cold and gloomy days, whereas in the Southern Hemisphere, this joyful period coincides with the beginning of summer. Therefore, it is not uncommon in Australia having a hot Christmas Day. However, the heat was unusually high for parts of southern Western Australia.

The mercury soared into 42 degrees in Esperance, the hottest Christmas Day since weather measurements started in 1907. Temperatures more than 8 degrees above average were also felt along the southwest coast. Perth (40 degrees) and Bunbury (38 degrees) saw their hottest Christmas Day in 13 and 55 years, respectively. Furthermore, Friday was the third consecutive day with maxima exceeding 40 degrees in Perth. 

The hot air mass is being replaced by much cooler air on Boxing Day as winds are turning south in the wake of a passing trough. Esperance should stay in the low 20s on Saturday. However, heat will intensify over the Goldfields. After a sleepless night in Kalgoorlie, with a minimum temperature of 27 degrees, the town is heading for a top in the low 40s before a rapid cooling arrives later in the day.
T2m_Sat_26_12_2020.png.70846082dfddaa414712d9eb84ed74d7.png
Image: Maximum temperatures forecast on Boxing Day according to ACCESS-C
A trough will develop near the west coast early next week, drawing heat from the north across the region. This will lead to another spell of heat, although shorter and not as intense as the last few days.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone
On 12/27/2020 at 10:37 AM, greysrigging said:

Scorching Christmas Day for southern WA
 

Several towns over the southwest of Western Australia celebrated their hottest Christmas Day in decades and even in more than a century for some locations.

Most people living in the Northern Hemisphere associate Christmas with cold and gloomy days, whereas in the Southern Hemisphere, this joyful period coincides with the beginning of summer. Therefore, it is not uncommon in Australia having a hot Christmas Day. However, the heat was unusually high for parts of southern Western Australia.

The mercury soared into 42 degrees in Esperance, the hottest Christmas Day since weather measurements started in 1907. Temperatures more than 8 degrees above average were also felt along the southwest coast. Perth (40 degrees) and Bunbury (38 degrees) saw their hottest Christmas Day in 13 and 55 years, respectively. Furthermore, Friday was the third consecutive day with maxima exceeding 40 degrees in Perth. 

The hot air mass is being replaced by much cooler air on Boxing Day as winds are turning south in the wake of a passing trough. Esperance should stay in the low 20s on Saturday. However, heat will intensify over the Goldfields. After a sleepless night in Kalgoorlie, with a minimum temperature of 27 degrees, the town is heading for a top in the low 40s before a rapid cooling arrives later in the day.
T2m_Sat_26_12_2020.png.70846082dfddaa414712d9eb84ed74d7.png
Image: Maximum temperatures forecast on Boxing Day according to ACCESS-C
A trough will develop near the west coast early next week, drawing heat from the north across the region. This will lead to another spell of heat, although shorter and not as intense as the last few days.
 

Albany was a cloudy 22C on Xmas day. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
climate change virginia

this summer was HOT this year we got 90s everyday of late june all of july and most of august we got 2 100 degree days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sandgroper

It was warm overnight in Perth, I think the coolest we got down to was 27c at around dawn. BOM are saying we should be 38c today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone
On 12/30/2020 at 6:21 AM, sandgroper said:

It was warm overnight in Perth, I think the coolest we got down to was 27c at around dawn. BOM are saying we should be 38c today.

Just got back from a few days in Perth. Boy it’s been hot and then really windy (probably like the So Cal Santa Anna’s). Glad to be back in the mild temps and higher humidity of the south coast but it’s the balmy summer nights that are really great this time of year in Perth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sandgroper
21 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Just got back from a few days in Perth. Boy it’s been hot and then really windy (probably like the So Cal Santa Anna’s). Glad to be back in the mild temps and higher humidity of the south coast but it’s the balmy summer nights that are really great this time of year in Perth.

Looks like a pretty unpleasant week coming up, those easterlies are still blowing hard too. 

Screenshot_20210104-192217_Google.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone

We’ve got those easterlies down here as well and I’m sick of them. Only they are blowing cloud and today even drizzle over us, not the dry clear skies like up in Perth. It barely crept past 20C today. It looks like we’ve got another few days of it but luckily the temp builds to 29C later in the week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone

We are going to have a bit of a heatwave down here. Really mild though compared to the rest of the continent. Windy.com has us going for 30C today, 35C tomorrow and 33C on Saturday. I think I might head down the beach tomorrow. Nights are high teens too which is warm for us. The official min for Saturday night is 21C, but I’ve never recorded a minimum above 19.6C here in the last 7 years so I very much doubt it. Windy.com has it forecast at 19C, which is more realistic. Hopefully my Juania’s will live another day and it’s not above 20C at night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sandgroper

Heading for 41c in Perth tomorrow, fortunately only working till 1.30pm so I think I'll be off to the beach for a swim if I can find a gap between the sharks! There were 20 separate shark sightings in Perth metro beaches yesterday causing a heap of them to be closed. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone

It’s over 32C just before 9.30 am. If we don’t get an early seabreeze we may get into the 40s. :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sandgroper
15 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

It’s over 32C just before 9.30 am. If we don’t get an early seabreeze we may get into the 40s. :(

Gee, 40c in Albany is warm!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone

The weather station down the road from me maxed out at 38.3C and the dew point shot up to 17.8C which is roughly what my equipment said. Both are slowly dropping now. There was very little breeze in the warm up period which is weird for here. The new growth on my Tamarillo looks melted now. I’m waiting for some shade to fall on it and I will flood it.

Ive spent the last two days planting out a new palm garden in the shade. I planted 9 Rhopalostylis and 11 Hedychium gingers in an area that has a hard compacted clay pan. I managed to smash through the hard pan in places down to the natural peat level but in this heat it was a hell of a job. I’ve just finished it and cleaned up and I’m enjoying a coldie on the back patio in 35.4C Albany heat. I long for this sort of warmth and when it gets here I can’t really hack it anymore. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sandgroper

It's a couple of degrees cooler now but still warm. I've got a coldie in hand and just about to head out into the yard to do some watering. Fortunately today is our watering day, it's been unpleasant. 

Screenshot_20210108-160953_Gallery.jpg

Edited by sandgroper
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone
24 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

It's a couple of degrees cooler now but still warm. I've got a coldie in hand and just about to head out into the yard to do some watering. Fortunately today is our watering day, it's been unpleasant. 

Screenshot_20210108-160953_Gallery.jpg

I see Gooseberry Hill got to 43C today. Brain melting heat.

Ive been spraying my shadehouse roughly on the hour today to keep the temp down and humidity up. I have Juanias in there in the darkest coldest corner. Trouble is a couple of my poly fittings don’t like the heat and come apart like a gunshot. I just had a 50mm rural C fitting go off with a loud blast. They can’t handle the heat and pressure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
greysrigging

Haha.... its all about being acclimatised 'eh ?. I walked the Cradle Mountain Track in Tasmania on 30/12/14 in a max temp of 8c and raining.... flying in from Yandi WA after 3 solid weeks above 43c...... bloody near froze to death. and hypothermia symptoms are not fun on cold damp days....

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sandgroper
1 hour ago, greysrigging said:

Haha.... its all about being acclimatised 'eh ?. I walked the Cradle Mountain Track in Tasmania on 30/12/14 in a max temp of 8c and raining.... flying in from Yandi WA after 3 solid weeks above 43c...... bloody near froze to death. and hypothermia symptoms are not fun on cold damp days....

I spent 9 years in the north west and would have considered anything under 40c reasonably pleasant but now I'm older and softer, funny how we change.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone

According to windy.com we’ve got another 37C stinker coming next Tuesday. Still a long way off but it’s been predicting it for a few days, so the models seem certain. A heat trough will push south down the west coast then head east over us. 

I had some interesting results from the 38.3C day last week. I had some sunhardened Kentias in probably 70% shade that burnt where the canopy broke. My Rhopalostylis bauerii in about the same level of shade also tinged. But one particular Chatham Island Nikau that is in full baking sun until 2pm next to a metal shed didn’t even tinge at all. It is still deep green and it was also opening a new leaf that wouldn’t be fully hardened up yet. I was worried that it may have been toast, but no. It’s fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
greysrigging
On 1/8/2021 at 5:22 PM, Tyrone said:

The weather station down the road from me maxed out at 38.3C and the dew point shot up to 17.8C which is roughly what my equipment said. Both are slowly dropping now. There was very little breeze in the warm up period which is weird for here. The new growth on my Tamarillo looks melted now. I’m waiting for some shade to fall on it and I will flood it.

Ive spent the last two days planting out a new palm garden in the shade. I planted 9 Rhopalostylis and 11 Hedychium gingers in an area that has a hard compacted clay pan. I managed to smash through the hard pan in places down to the natural peat level but in this heat it was a hell of a job. I’ve just finished it and cleaned up and I’m enjoying a coldie on the back patio in 35.4C Albany heat. I long for this sort of warmth and when it gets here I can’t really hack it anymore. 

How far from each other the Airport and Town weather recording stations ? Nearly 10c difference in the max temps on the 8th.
Airport 37.3c
Town 28.5c
Similar to Sydney OB Hill site and a bit further west sites....up 10c or more difference on summer days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone
2 hours ago, greysrigging said:

How far from each other the Airport and Town weather recording stations ? Nearly 10c difference in the max temps on the 8th.
Airport 37.3c
Town 28.5c
Similar to Sydney OB Hill site and a bit further west sites....up 10c or more difference on summer days.

The town site is about 100m from the waters edge on Princess Royal Harbour and the airport site is 11-12km away at 70m asl. Interestingly very few people live around the town site, it’s in a commercial style area near the Albany museum, but then more people live near that site than the airport site, adjacent to a couple of farms. My area is closer to the airport site but it doesn’t follow it closely. The town site is way off for me. I was used to differences in temp due to location having lived in Perth, but the Albany areas variability is on another level again. Also ABC news often picks the town site to forecast. Most Albany people probably couldn’t care less, but when you’re trying to grow plants from different parts of the world, you take more of an interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
greysrigging
40 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

The town site is about 100m from the waters edge on Princess Royal Harbour and the airport site is 11-12km away at 70m asl. Interestingly very few people live around the town site, it’s in a commercial style area near the Albany museum, but then more people live near that site than the airport site, adjacent to a couple of farms. My area is closer to the airport site but it doesn’t follow it closely. The town site is way off for me. I was used to differences in temp due to location having lived in Perth, but the Albany areas variability is on another level again. Also ABC news often picks the town site to forecast. Most Albany people probably couldn’t care less, but when you’re trying to grow plants from different parts of the world, you take more of an interest.

You sure do.... particularly if there is frost in the forecast.....like what you had back in winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone

If I knew that this area got frost when we were looking at buying the property, we wouldn’t have bought it. I was totally unaware of the climate situation and the people we knew down here who were largely oblivious to these sorts of issues didn’t know either. I looked at the 2013 weather stats which were obviously from the town site and saw that the reported coldest temp that year was 5.1C! I thought that even being inland a bit we would never be colder than 1 or 2C. I thought, you beauty, a climate more stable than Perth but with lower average temps. Little did I know that the town site had big gaps in the data and that the 5.1C lowest temp was likely a 9am reading taken when the museum opened. The first bit of frost we saw here in the first year freaked me out. Last years mega frost I hope never comes again. Reportedly on that night frost was reported right on the banks of Princess Royal Harbour. I’ve noticed some Kentias in that general vicinity with tell tale frost burn marks. They took about 2 months to show burn marks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cbmnz

That's interesting the frost reached the water's edge that night. Feel sorry for gardeners where a damaging frost is possible but very infrequent, not every winter. It's easier living where it's consistent, you learn the first winter whether any marginal planting has just pushed the boundary ,or crossed it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cbmnz

Funny taking about frost. 31C here yesterday, second day in row of full sun. Did get down to 15C at 6am but did not get below 20 till after midnight. Tough without domestic AC. Surprised how wilted alot of things (non palms) in pots were, had to water again even though had fully watered them only 24 hrs before.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
greysrigging

Western Australia.... Kimberley and Pilbara coasts.
HRT4fAI.png.559f959e82f1d67937149f52fcf755bf.png

HDf6p04.png.66ac185324d8ef5679981f45a5beb770.png

xYaPknU.png.4ccffee3fd2fa36f5348024d467a91ec.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/where-has-the-sea-breeze-gone-perth-expected-to-miss-out-on-fremantle-doctor-until-monday/533294

Perth has been missing out on the Fremantle doctor due to the high in the Bight ramping the easterlies right up. We’ve been getting the exact same easterlies but with a completely different effect. The ocean is just over 30kms away to my east and the coastline doesn’t return to about Adelaide due east. We are getting nothing but sea breezes. Only the breezes are high speed and gusting right up laden with cold humidity and drizzle. No sight of the sun either. Just dull grey, cold and blustery. Not summer at all. It feels like I’m up a mountain around 1500m asl in the clouds on a windy day. Luckily the nikaus I’m potting up don’t care. Bring back some sun and warmth and let the winds drop I reckon. Some tropical cyclone activity up north with the odd thunderstorm down here is what I need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
greysrigging

First Aussie mainland snow of 2021 due later today
 

If you've just switched on the TV to watch the cricket at a gloriously sun-bathed Gabba in Brisbane, where a maximum of 32 degrees is forecast, you might be surprised by what's brewing in the south of the country.

Melbourne (20ºC), Adelaide (21ºC) and Hobart (17ºC) are all expecting unusually cool maximum temperatures for this time of year. Meanwhile, snow is possible for the high country of New South Wales and Victoria on Friday afternoon or evening, in the first cold outbreak of the new year.

Snow could fall as low as 1500 metres in the Snowy Mountains of NSW and to 1400 metres in the Victorian Alps. Tasmania could also see snow above 1200 metres on Saturday.

Snow is not unusual in Tasmania or the Australian Alps in any month. There are no official statistics on the frequency of summer snowfalls, but anecdotally, you tend to get a few flakes two or three times each summer.
 

Cold fronts in southern Australia usually push a surge of heat ahead of them. For example on December 1 2020, it snowed down south on a day when Bourke in outback NSW reached 48ºC. And today, Penrith in western Sydney should reach 35ºC.

At other times, cold fronts play a very minor role in our summer weather patterns.

The weather this summer has been largely dominated by La Nina, with persistent cool, cloudy weather from the east which has brought heavy rain to many parts of eastern Australia. A pattern like this tends to push the Southern Ocean cold fronts further south so they don't impact Australia.

So what has changed in the last week?
"During December, unusually high pressure over southern Australia limited the passage of cold fronts over our southern states," Weatherzone meteorologist Ben Domensino explains.

"However this week, we are seeing a stray pool of cold air from the Southern Ocean break through this high pressure ridge and pass over southeastern Australia.

"These cold air masses are more common during winter, although as we are seeing this week, snow can fall in Australia's alps at any time of year, even the middle of summer."

The good news about summer cold outbreaks is that they tend to be quite short-lived.

The snow that falls this evening in NSW and Victoria, and tomorrow in Tasmania, is serious news for alpine hikers and outdoors enthusiasts.

But by Sunday or Monday, things should ease, although the weather should remain cool for summer in much of southeast Australia until at least the middle of next week.
( Source: Weatherzone )

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sandgroper
18 hours ago, greysrigging said:

First Aussie mainland snow of 2021 due later today
 

If you've just switched on the TV to watch the cricket at a gloriously sun-bathed Gabba in Brisbane, where a maximum of 32 degrees is forecast, you might be surprised by what's brewing in the south of the country.

Melbourne (20ºC), Adelaide (21ºC) and Hobart (17ºC) are all expecting unusually cool maximum temperatures for this time of year. Meanwhile, snow is possible for the high country of New South Wales and Victoria on Friday afternoon or evening, in the first cold outbreak of the new year.

Snow could fall as low as 1500 metres in the Snowy Mountains of NSW and to 1400 metres in the Victorian Alps. Tasmania could also see snow above 1200 metres on Saturday.

Snow is not unusual in Tasmania or the Australian Alps in any month. There are no official statistics on the frequency of summer snowfalls, but anecdotally, you tend to get a few flakes two or three times each summer.
 

Cold fronts in southern Australia usually push a surge of heat ahead of them. For example on December 1 2020, it snowed down south on a day when Bourke in outback NSW reached 48ºC. And today, Penrith in western Sydney should reach 35ºC.

At other times, cold fronts play a very minor role in our summer weather patterns.

The weather this summer has been largely dominated by La Nina, with persistent cool, cloudy weather from the east which has brought heavy rain to many parts of eastern Australia. A pattern like this tends to push the Southern Ocean cold fronts further south so they don't impact Australia.

So what has changed in the last week?
"During December, unusually high pressure over southern Australia limited the passage of cold fronts over our southern states," Weatherzone meteorologist Ben Domensino explains.

"However this week, we are seeing a stray pool of cold air from the Southern Ocean break through this high pressure ridge and pass over southeastern Australia.

"These cold air masses are more common during winter, although as we are seeing this week, snow can fall in Australia's alps at any time of year, even the middle of summer."

The good news about summer cold outbreaks is that they tend to be quite short-lived.

The snow that falls this evening in NSW and Victoria, and tomorrow in Tasmania, is serious news for alpine hikers and outdoors enthusiasts.

But by Sunday or Monday, things should ease, although the weather should remain cool for summer in much of southeast Australia until at least the middle of next week.
( Source: Weatherzone )

What an amazing country we call home, it's certainly a land of contrast.

Screenshot_20210116-075708_Google.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone
39 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

What an amazing country we call home, it's certainly a land of contrast.

Screenshot_20210116-075708_Google.jpg

That’s a hot run in Perth. The next 4 weeks is the hottest part of summer. It’s even warming up next week down here in WA’s air conditioning duct. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
greysrigging

47.1c ( 117f ) at Roebourne Aero on Thursday.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tropicbreeze

temperatures are a bit up and down here, but humidity always running very high.

Weather210117.jpg.75dc05a6fb8c9be4cfae8a5a2dd2660f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone
On 1/16/2021 at 3:03 PM, greysrigging said:

47.1c ( 117f ) at Roebourne Aero on Thursday.....

If the planes park for too long, their tyres will vulcanise to the tarmac. That’s so hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...