IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Calling all Sabinaria magnifica growers!!!

www.dadluvsu.com

Sooooo...  I’ve got this palm that is literally screaming to get out of the pot.  But I don’t have a shady humid Columbian jungle.  I have an old cane field with nothing older than 3 years old growing on it.  So same question as usual, has anyone planted this species in a more exposed location that perceived ideal and did it die or thrive?

This one is a waaay overgrown 3g size that if planted here would get decent protection from midday sun until about 1:30...  from then on it’s fry and die or sun and done...

E673F292-4552-4BE3-91BD-FA330C74424E.jpeg

• Like 2

I need to talk to y’all after I drench intended locations with fungicide to see about purchasing a few more....  killed 3/10 of my Lemurs. :rant::rant::rant:  Gave it a serious hail mary...  rampart, jadam sulphur and captan 50.  Still dampened off.  Even killed a chambeyronia and a couple dypsis (wtf hamakua soils?!?!!)...  thanks for the reminder on the shade...  so hard to pick a perfect aesthetic location on a production farm. :blink:B)

Here's mine on east Hawaii Island, planted a few days more than a year ago. It's right of the base of the nearer Pinanga ceasia, but left of the Socratea. A little hard to see maybe, but looks quite good upon close inspection. Maybe the image can be enlarged. It gets full sun during parts of the day, as the surrounding palms only partly shade it. During the summer when the sun moves more to the north (to the right in the picture), it gets lots of midday sun. One qualifier - this is east Hawaii Island - high humidity, frequent rain or cloudiness. In the mid-afternoon the sun is blocked by my neighbors' weed trees behind the palms.

611903398_Sabinariamagnifica_betwPinangaceasiasandSocratea_MLM_120120.thumb.JPG.ca71a1ad793a35fefaf19dc7c1494998.JPG

Edited by mike in kurtistown
left out the last info line
  • Like 3

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

I'm about ready to travel down to the jungles of Columbia to find some seeds. I probably could avoid getting shot by narco-guerillas, but im not sure if I could locate a fruiting tree. Wish me luck!

• Like 2

I should have included some close up pics of my little Sabinaria in my post above. Here they are (orange bucket is 5 gal):

1698530240_Sabinariamagnifica_1_MLM_120120.thumb.JPG.7ee63d8df7dbcdeead10ecbe027f54c1.JPG

1485175329_Sabinariamagnifica_2_MLM_120120.thumb.JPG.633f1c76cbbc15a2c9680b456828867a.JPG

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’ll be the guinea pig I guess! :blush2: Decided to plant my pair on either side of the road going to the barn.  Got a row of bamboo aimed about 240 on the compass and planted these palms on the south side of that row full sun. :o Hoping to get some windbreak action from the bamboo but these are basically super exposed.  Gonna find out how tough they are! :lol:

C08A2F79-C8F1-4695-A791-7ED98D072E2C.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/16/2020 at 11:48 AM, www.dadluvsu.com said:

Well I’ll be the guinea pig I guess! :blush2: Decided to plant my pair on either side of the road going to the barn.  Got a row of bamboo aimed about 240 on the compass and planted these palms on the south side of that row full sun. :o Hoping to get some windbreak action from the bamboo but these are basically super exposed.  Gonna find out how tough they are! :lol:

How are they doing a few months later?

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

11 hours ago, Missi said:

How are they doing a few months later?

Got a little yellow from sunburn, leaves got a little broken from harsh winter wind, but they’re acclimated and growing healthy leaves as fast as they can.  I’ve noted they are growing away from the sun, kinda leaning north...  I’ve been tempted to move them out of fear, but I’m just gonna leave them.  Took pics for you today.  

933B67F4-461A-4636-B629-3BC471FDDB6F.jpeg

A68691F0-7C3D-4353-83E4-E1EA2DA7C803.jpeg

73AB4542-1766-4EBA-AC6B-FD05CF725CDD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, www.dadluvsu.com said:

Got a little yellow from sunburn, leaves got a little broken from harsh winter wind, but they’re acclimated and growing healthy leaves as fast as they can.  I’ve noted they are growing away from the sun, kinda leaning north...  I’ve been tempted to move them out of fear, but I’m just gonna leave them.  Took pics for you today.  

Have you watched the video describing their discovery? I believe he says they grow their entire lives under dense canopy. I found the link here on PT: The Magnificent Story of Sabina: Sabinaria magnifica Around 24 minutes, he talks about how the canopy they're finding the Sabinaria in is completely dense that they can't even see much of the sky or clouds. However, some of the photos in the presentation do show it in bright indirect light. It will be fascinating to see how yours continues to develop in full sun!

• Like 3

MAN, this palm... I recently stumbled across it after also stumbling across Jesse Durkos nursery in south Florida. @Rory (also stumbled across a PT member haha) showed me around and we came across this palm, but given that I wasn’t even planning on finding a nursery with anything other than the usual palm fare, my wallet wasn’t planning on that purchase either haha. 

Definitely got this palm on my list though. Beautiful species. 

• Upvote 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

14 minutes ago, chad2468emr said:

MAN, this palm... I recently stumbled across it after also stumbling across Jesse Durkos nursery in south Florida. @Rory (also stumbled across a PT member haha) showed me around and we came across this palm, but given that I wasn’t even planning on finding a nursery with anything other than the usual palm fare, my wallet wasn’t planning on that purchase either haha. 

Definitely got this palm on my list though. Beautiful species. 

There was a post where someone had grown a ton of seedlings. Maybe they have some available. I'll do a search and tag you.

Too bad its a 10b palm or I would have bought one.  They are gorgeous palms for sure, but I doubt they take 35F even let alone freezing.  10a is my upper limit for palms and Ive been growing palms for 20 years so I've learned my zone pushing lessons.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

8 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

Too bad its a 10b palm or I would have bought one.  They are gorgeous palms for sure, but I doubt they take 35F even let alone freezing.  10a is my upper limit for palms and Ive been growing palms for 20 years so I've learned my zone pushing lessons.

Actually, I've read they are expected to be quite cold-hardy, relatively speaking of course. Mine has been fine out on my roofed lanai in the upper 40s (the couple nights I forgot to bring it in). Also, there is a post here saying that their in-ground seedling made it through 35 degrees.

1 minute ago, Missi said:

Actually, I've read they are expected to be quite cold-hardy, relatively speaking of course. Mine has been fine out on my roofed lanai in the upper 40s (the couple nights I forgot to bring it in). Also, there is a post here saying that their in-ground seedling made it through 35 degrees.

I think there is not enough data on these and palmpedia has them at 10b.   45 degrees is zone 11b.  Anyone grow them in 10a or 9b over 5 years or so?  At my place 35F or lower happens every 3 years or so.  Anything that doesnt like "hawaii's harsh winter winds", is going to be tough here.   The 2018 advective cold front caused a long 30 F degree period(10-12 hrs) here, I'm betting it wouldnt survive that.  Especially since canopy doesn't protect in an advective front.

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

12 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

I think there is not enough data on these and palmpedia has them at 10b.   45 degrees is zone 11b.  Anyone grow them in 10a or 9b over 5 years or so?  At my place 35F or lower happens every 3 years or so.  Anything that doesnt like "hawaii's harsh winter winds", is going to be tough here.   The 2018 advective cold front caused a long 30 F degree period(10-12 hrs) here, I'm betting it wouldnt survive that.  Especially since canopy doesn't protect in an advective front.

:crying:  Keep in a giant pot? :yay:

I've got some seedlings in pots in Tampa that have done fine so far, but we've had warm winters the last few years. I'm planning on planting them at Kopsick once they're big enough so we'll see how they fare in the area. 

• Like 4

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I’ve already got more than enough palms that I bring in every time it falls into the not-so-zone-10 temps... what’s one more? Haha 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

16 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

I’ve already got more than enough palms that I bring in every time it falls into the not-so-zone-10 temps... what’s one more? Haha 

That's the spirit!! :floor:

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am in Miami Beach and my Sabinaria’s are doing exceptional and they have been always outside in any temperature. Same for my Joey altifrons , magnifica and perakensis. But 35F we never touched but 45F for sure.  
In 1 year they pushed out around 3-4 leaves

93A31816-3612-4229-8D83-8890360F0F4A.jpeg

Edited by JANAIY
  • Like 4

On 4/6/2021 at 6:36 PM, JANAIY said:

I am in Miami Beach and my Sabinaria’s are doing exceptional and they have been always outside in any temperature. Same for my Joey altifrons , magnifica and perakensis. But 35F we never touched but 45F for sure.  
In 1 year they pushed out around 3-4 leaves

Yay for more FL Sabis! Mine just keeps getting quicker and quicker the larger it gets! It's just amazing!!

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2021 at 6:38 AM, Missi said:

Have you watched the video describing their discovery? I believe he says they grow their entire lives under dense canopy. I found the link here on PT: The Magnificent Story of Sabina: Sabinaria magnifica Around 24 minutes, he talks about how the canopy they're finding the Sabinaria in is completely dense that they can't even see much of the sky or clouds. However, some of the photos in the presentation do show it in bright indirect light. It will be fascinating to see how yours continues to develop in full sun!

This was a really great video Missi. Thanks for posting it. Ultimate dream-palm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

This was a really great video Missi. Thanks for posting it. Ultimate dream-palm.

Wasn’t it incredible! Stunning place, pity it’s so dangerous to visit. :(

Does anyone know, didn’t the owner of MB Palms out of Orlando go there himself to collect seed?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

We have LIFT OFF! We'll, no, not really.  Ignition at least. 

Never thought I would get my hands on these and really was worried they wouldn't germinate...

I kept second-getting my set up. It's a shallow plastic tub like those seen on PalmFather's Sabinaria Videos. I tried to mimic the jungle by mixing vermiculite, peat, orchid bark, leca, and coir. Even threw in a little bit of sand and Spanish moss. Then treated with fungicide (copper when I spotted some). Damp but not wet.

I'm hopeful the other three will follow suit.

Not sure at what point I should pot the. Definitely would appreciate any suggestions on this to avoid over-twisting of the petiole-radicle.

Thanks for looking.

20210831_215826.jpg

On 9/1/2021 at 9:09 AM, Frond-friend42 said:

Never thought I would get my hands on these and really was worried they wouldn't germinate...

I kept second-getting my set up. It's a shallow plastic tub like those seen on PalmFather's Sabinaria Videos. I tried to mimic the jungle by mixing vermiculite, peat, orchid bark, leca, and coir. Even threw in a little bit of sand and Spanish moss. Then treated with fungicide (copper when I spotted some). Damp but not wet.

Not sure at what point I should pot the. Definitely would appreciate any suggestions on this to avoid over-twisting of the petiole-radicle.

Thanks for looking.

20210831_215826.jpg

Was this rps seed? 

On 9/1/2021 at 6:09 PM, Frond-friend42 said:

Thanks for looking.

20210831_215826.jpg

You don’t need a big or deep pot, but a well draining soil mix:

1993061690_03SabinariaIMG_8812.thumb.jpg.ee8b59c4f7094391903979898447432c.jpg

• Like 3

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

9 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Was this rps seed? 

Yes. I can only wonder where they harvested it.  I suppose most likely from the source in that remote dangerous jungle.  The Darien gap.

7 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

@Frond-friend42: Maybe this photo is more helpful now; give the seed petiole enough depth:

457535413_Sabinariamagnifica2015-11-07.thumb.jpg.eab26662dd6d58bd053c37cf5a85fd6a.jpg

I love it. Looks like I need to put them in a deep pot so the can grow straight. And I don't dare put them in just bark and seramis...seems like they need a bit more water retention....maybe part soil?

Really appreciate your input, Pal.

I checked the other three and all 4 have germinated!  

I'm thinking of potting them carefully now but I'm just a little nervous about the possibility of injury. But then I'm afraid of leaving them too, since I think there may be problems if they grow too twisty?

• 1 month later...

Have my Sabbie in 50/50 seramis/pinebark for 3 years and its staying nice green. Makes only 2 leafs a year  growing indoors in the Netherlands. Moving to larger pot next year  March. Think well drained soil is mandatory.   Watering ones in a week, 10 days here will do. Depending on central heat on or off. To much water in bad drained soil will kill them. She, or he, can have some dry medium for a few days overhere.

Edited by Jos Mannaart
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Fernis said:

How long the seeds takes to germinate?

Mine took about a month. But they take much longer to break the surface.

7 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

I gust broke down a community pot and they are doing good. I hope they all do good

AD88908F-2828-4D36-A6CE-D064C90E5D7B.jpeg

Mine aren't that high. But my pots are really deep. I'm a nervous wreck for Mine to do well. They are not really levitating like this but have 2-3 inches of exposed root-petiole.

So great to see so many together!

On 11/16/2021 at 4:26 AM, John hovancsek said:

They were in a deep pot for a month and a half then planted like pic

Oef, how deep are these pots? Realy nice number of Sabbies. Hope they stay healthy.

Hello,

I've been perusing this forum on and off for quite a number of years, as whenever I search for anything palmy I almost always end up here, but I don't like signing up to things as a general rule. Recently, however, I discovered that signing up allows me to search the forum, which turns out to be a pretty useful way of finding information.
So, hang it all, I might as well cross the Rubicon and post something.

I'm moved to do so as I have literally just potted these up; I hope they don't take too much exception at transitioning from their cosy incubator to room temperature.

sab.thumb.jpg.cad4dfdd02e080608681e376d1beeea8.jpg

Shall take another picture when I see something green emergent. 

• Like 1