Jump to content
www.dadluvsu.com

Calling all Sabinaria magnifica growers!!!

Recommended Posts

www.dadluvsu.com

Sooooo...  I’ve got this palm that is literally screaming to get out of the pot.  But I don’t have a shady humid Columbian jungle.  I have an old cane field with nothing older than 3 years old growing on it.  So same question as usual, has anyone planted this species in a more exposed location that perceived ideal and did it die or thrive?

This one is a waaay overgrown 3g size that if planted here would get decent protection from midday sun until about 1:30...  from then on it’s fry and die or sun and done...

E673F292-4552-4BE3-91BD-FA330C74424E.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John hovancsek

I put shade cloth over plants I have to plant out but dont have a spot yet

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
www.dadluvsu.com

I need to talk to y’all after I drench intended locations with fungicide to see about purchasing a few more....  killed 3/10 of my Lemurs. :rant::rant::rant:  Gave it a serious hail mary...  rampart, jadam sulphur and captan 50.  Still dampened off.  Even killed a chambeyronia and a couple dypsis (wtf hamakua soils?!?!!)...  thanks for the reminder on the shade...  so hard to pick a perfect aesthetic location on a production farm. :blink:B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mike in kurtistown

Here's mine on east Hawaii Island, planted a few days more than a year ago. It's right of the base of the nearer Pinanga ceasia, but left of the Socratea. A little hard to see maybe, but looks quite good upon close inspection. Maybe the image can be enlarged. It gets full sun during parts of the day, as the surrounding palms only partly shade it. During the summer when the sun moves more to the north (to the right in the picture), it gets lots of midday sun. One qualifier - this is east Hawaii Island - high humidity, frequent rain or cloudiness. In the mid-afternoon the sun is blocked by my neighbors' weed trees behind the palms.

611903398_Sabinariamagnifica_betwPinangaceasiasandSocratea_MLM_120120.thumb.JPG.ca71a1ad793a35fefaf19dc7c1494998.JPG

Edited by mike in kurtistown
left out the last info line
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frond-friend42

I'm about ready to travel down to the jungles of Columbia to find some seeds. I probably could avoid getting shot by narco-guerillas, but im not sure if I could locate a fruiting tree. Wish me luck!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mike in kurtistown

I should have included some close up pics of my little Sabinaria in my post above. Here they are (orange bucket is 5 gal):

1698530240_Sabinariamagnifica_1_MLM_120120.thumb.JPG.7ee63d8df7dbcdeead10ecbe027f54c1.JPG

 

1485175329_Sabinariamagnifica_2_MLM_120120.thumb.JPG.633f1c76cbbc15a2c9680b456828867a.JPG

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
www.dadluvsu.com

Well I’ll be the guinea pig I guess! :blush2: Decided to plant my pair on either side of the road going to the barn.  Got a row of bamboo aimed about 240 on the compass and planted these palms on the south side of that row full sun. :o Hoping to get some windbreak action from the bamboo but these are basically super exposed.  Gonna find out how tough they are! :lol:

C08A2F79-C8F1-4695-A791-7ED98D072E2C.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Missi
On 12/16/2020 at 11:48 AM, www.dadluvsu.com said:

Well I’ll be the guinea pig I guess! :blush2: Decided to plant my pair on either side of the road going to the barn.  Got a row of bamboo aimed about 240 on the compass and planted these palms on the south side of that row full sun. :o Hoping to get some windbreak action from the bamboo but these are basically super exposed.  Gonna find out how tough they are! :lol:

How are they doing a few months later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
www.dadluvsu.com
11 hours ago, Missi said:

How are they doing a few months later?

Got a little yellow from sunburn, leaves got a little broken from harsh winter wind, but they’re acclimated and growing healthy leaves as fast as they can.  I’ve noted they are growing away from the sun, kinda leaning north...  I’ve been tempted to move them out of fear, but I’m just gonna leave them.  Took pics for you today.  

933B67F4-461A-4636-B629-3BC471FDDB6F.jpeg

A68691F0-7C3D-4353-83E4-E1EA2DA7C803.jpeg

73AB4542-1766-4EBA-AC6B-FD05CF725CDD.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Missi
10 hours ago, www.dadluvsu.com said:

Got a little yellow from sunburn, leaves got a little broken from harsh winter wind, but they’re acclimated and growing healthy leaves as fast as they can.  I’ve noted they are growing away from the sun, kinda leaning north...  I’ve been tempted to move them out of fear, but I’m just gonna leave them.  Took pics for you today.  

Have you watched the video describing their discovery? I believe he says they grow their entire lives under dense canopy. I found the link here on PT: The Magnificent Story of Sabina: Sabinaria magnifica Around 24 minutes, he talks about how the canopy they're finding the Sabinaria in is completely dense that they can't even see much of the sky or clouds. However, some of the photos in the presentation do show it in bright indirect light. It will be fascinating to see how yours continues to develop in full sun!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chad2468emr

MAN, this palm... I recently stumbled across it after also stumbling across Jesse Durkos nursery in south Florida. @Rory (also stumbled across a PT member haha) showed me around and we came across this palm, but given that I wasn’t even planning on finding a nursery with anything other than the usual palm fare, my wallet wasn’t planning on that purchase either haha. 

Definitely got this palm on my list though. Beautiful species. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Missi
14 minutes ago, chad2468emr said:

MAN, this palm... I recently stumbled across it after also stumbling across Jesse Durkos nursery in south Florida. @Rory (also stumbled across a PT member haha) showed me around and we came across this palm, but given that I wasn’t even planning on finding a nursery with anything other than the usual palm fare, my wallet wasn’t planning on that purchase either haha. 

Definitely got this palm on my list though. Beautiful species. 

There was a post where someone had grown a ton of seedlings. Maybe they have some available. I'll do a search and tag you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sonoranfans

Too bad its a 10b palm or I would have bought one.  They are gorgeous palms for sure, but I doubt they take 35F even let alone freezing.  10a is my upper limit for palms and Ive been growing palms for 20 years so I've learned my zone pushing lessons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Missi
8 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

Too bad its a 10b palm or I would have bought one.  They are gorgeous palms for sure, but I doubt they take 35F even let alone freezing.  10a is my upper limit for palms and Ive been growing palms for 20 years so I've learned my zone pushing lessons.

Actually, I've read they are expected to be quite cold-hardy, relatively speaking of course. Mine has been fine out on my roofed lanai in the upper 40s (the couple nights I forgot to bring it in). Also, there is a post here saying that their in-ground seedling made it through 35 degrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sonoranfans
1 minute ago, Missi said:

Actually, I've read they are expected to be quite cold-hardy, relatively speaking of course. Mine has been fine out on my roofed lanai in the upper 40s (the couple nights I forgot to bring it in). Also, there is a post here saying that their in-ground seedling made it through 35 degrees.

I think there is not enough data on these and palmpedia has them at 10b.   45 degrees is zone 11b.  Anyone grow them in 10a or 9b over 5 years or so?  At my place 35F or lower happens every 3 years or so.  Anything that doesnt like "hawaii's harsh winter winds", is going to be tough here.   The 2018 advective cold front caused a long 30 F degree period(10-12 hrs) here, I'm betting it wouldnt survive that.  Especially since canopy doesn't protect in an advective front.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Missi
12 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

I think there is not enough data on these and palmpedia has them at 10b.   45 degrees is zone 11b.  Anyone grow them in 10a or 9b over 5 years or so?  At my place 35F or lower happens every 3 years or so.  Anything that doesnt like "hawaii's harsh winter winds", is going to be tough here.   The 2018 advective cold front caused a long 30 F degree period(10-12 hrs) here, I'm betting it wouldnt survive that.  Especially since canopy doesn't protect in an advective front.

:crying:  Keep in a giant pot? :yay:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeeth

I've got some seedlings in pots in Tampa that have done fine so far, but we've had warm winters the last few years. I'm planning on planting them at Kopsick once they're big enough so we'll see how they fare in the area. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chad2468emr

I’ve already got more than enough palms that I bring in every time it falls into the not-so-zone-10 temps... what’s one more? Haha 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Missi
16 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

I’ve already got more than enough palms that I bring in every time it falls into the not-so-zone-10 temps... what’s one more? Haha 

That's the spirit!! :floor:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JANAIY

I am in Miami Beach and my Sabinaria’s are doing exceptional and they have been always outside in any temperature. Same for my Joey altifrons , magnifica and perakensis. But 35F we never touched but 45F for sure.  
In 1 year they pushed out around 3-4 leaves

93A31816-3612-4229-8D83-8890360F0F4A.jpeg

Edited by JANAIY
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Missi
On 4/6/2021 at 6:36 PM, JANAIY said:

I am in Miami Beach and my Sabinaria’s are doing exceptional and they have been always outside in any temperature. Same for my Joey altifrons , magnifica and perakensis. But 35F we never touched but 45F for sure.  
In 1 year they pushed out around 3-4 leaves

Yay for more FL Sabis! Mine just keeps getting quicker and quicker the larger it gets! It's just amazing!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frond-friend42
On 3/24/2021 at 6:38 AM, Missi said:

Have you watched the video describing their discovery? I believe he says they grow their entire lives under dense canopy. I found the link here on PT: The Magnificent Story of Sabina: Sabinaria magnifica Around 24 minutes, he talks about how the canopy they're finding the Sabinaria in is completely dense that they can't even see much of the sky or clouds. However, some of the photos in the presentation do show it in bright indirect light. It will be fascinating to see how yours continues to develop in full sun!

This was a really great video Missi. Thanks for posting it. Ultimate dream-palm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Missi
2 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

This was a really great video Missi. Thanks for posting it. Ultimate dream-palm.

Wasn’t it incredible! Stunning place, pity it’s so dangerous to visit. :(
 

Does anyone know, didn’t the owner of MB Palms out of Orlando go there himself to collect seed?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • John of Ponce
      By John of Ponce
      I wanted to post a photo of my Sabinaria magnifica Palm that survived despite not being protected and being in an open area of my yard when the temperature dropped to 35 degrees . Its the baby palm in the bottom right of the photo.

    • Eric in Orlando
      By Eric in Orlando
      This Sabinaria magnifica was planted out last spring here at Leu Gardens. I planted it in one of the warmest microclimates in the Garden. It has good overhead tree canopy protection and also wind protection. So far after this winter's freeze it is showing no damage. We had a low of about 28-29F here but this location was probably about 4-5 degrees warmer. A Cyrtostachys elegans x renda is growing next to it and looks good too.



×
×
  • Create New...