IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hammock recommendations

James B

I have an A.Maxima and an A.Cunninghamiana that are about 12 feet apart and I’m planning on putting a hammock between them. Anyone have a brand or type they can recommend? Thanks!

This hammock is large and very comfortable. It's a souvenir from a trip to northeast Brazil, bought in the old city of Olinda. It is handmade, all natural cotton, and was a reasonable price after some bargaining. There were many colors and styles to choose from; the natural tones and ornate fringe appealed to me. It's a long way to go to buy a hammock, but I see you can purchase similar items on Wayfair. Search for 'Brazilian hammock.'

Edit: I was advised to buy the kind without the wooden spreaders. They were said to flip over too easily.

IMG_2652.thumb.jpg.6ced4c6b1c3798bd73ca84a124eb86cd.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Nice beautiful set up! I looked up an online calculator on how high to hang each end and determined 60”. Now both the Archontophoenix in question have about 5 feet of trunk but perhaps maybe let them get a couple more rings before hanging just to be on the safe side so as not to damage the palms?

19 hours ago, James B said:

I have an A.Maxima and an A.Cunninghamiana that are about 12 feet apart and I’m planning on putting a hammock between them. Anyone have a brand or type they can recommend? Thanks!

Do you have photos of the palms?  They definitely do not sound large enough to support the weight of a person in a hammock between them.   I have 3 hammocks that I use pretty regularly here in southern FL.   I can tell you from experience they need to be sturdy, thick trunked trees.  Even full grown sturdy Sabal Palmetto, will still sway with rocking motion of the hammock. 

The brand I prefer is Serac, but they appear to have disappeared / gone out of business.  Shame too because they were one of the best hammocks out there. 

Were I to purchase another  hammock, I would probably go with Eagles Nest Outfitters 2 person "double nest" hammock. 

ENO Double Nest Camping Hammock

• Like 1

First palm has 59” of trunk, second has 62” of trunk. But I’m thinking they need another year or two based on previous posts. Both are about 11-12” across at the base of at the highest point of trunk are only about 6” across and probably won’t be enough to support the weight of an adult without damage. 

C3BF8786-BF2E-45DC-BC22-C96367D37D83.jpeg

F28261A2-2D8E-463E-824E-C32F4151E36D.jpeg

Have to agree with the comments above about being cautious using palms to support a hammock. That never entered my mind, because I have the little pavilion in a constantly rain-soaked garden, coincidentally perfectly sized for a hammock, and with palms all around to admire. I wouldn't trust my palms to bear much weight, except perhaps the largest of my Dypsis or Clinostigma. You could hang a hammock decoratively on your chosen palms, but they appear to me to be too young to bear much weight. A few more years...

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

1 hour ago, James B said:

First palm has 59” of trunk, second has 62” of trunk. But I’m thinking they need another year or two based on previous posts. Both are about 11-12” across at the base of at the highest point of trunk are only about 6” across and probably won’t be enough to support the weight of an adult without damage. 

C3BF8786-BF2E-45DC-BC22-C96367D37D83.jpeg

F28261A2-2D8E-463E-824E-C32F4151E36D.jpeg

Thanks for the photos. Those are gorgeous palms! 

Yeah, like I said, id wait until they are a good big larger with fatter trunks.  If it were me I would not use those palms as they are too short still.   I have never used a crownshafted palm for hanging hammocks either but if I did id want that crown shaft to be at least 10 feet or more above where I would tie my straps.    I have only used Sabal Palmettos as they are plentiful here and they are very sturdy palms.   The straps they make these days are designed to distribute the weight evenly and to not damage any tree trunks.  Sabals seem the best to me as they have that very thick tough outter "bark" that eventually begins to slough off with older age to reveal a smoother skinnier trunk underneath.     That said, I would absolutely still buy a portable camping hammock!   I keep mine with me at all times and they do get used frequently even if only for an hour.  Nothing like relaxing in one under a couple palm trees on the water.  

• Like 1