Sign in to follow this  
enigma99

Viable seeds?

enigma99

I have a coco queen that is full of nuts, getting quite plump by the day. Not quite ripe yet but my question is, is there any way to know if these are viable without actually planting them and seeing if they will grow?

7EEA99F6-BFAE-4391-9684-84BE13F9CF71.jpeg

Edited by enigma99
  • Like 2

Fusca

You could cut one open to see if there's an embryo, but from what I understand there won't be one.  Seems that most of the hybrids with Syagrus are sterile (like a standard mule) with Syagrus x Costae being an exception.

• Like 4

enigma99

Not an expert here but one side of the nut was clear flesh. I'm guessing the endosperm. At this point there should be an embryo formed? Bummer, I guess once they start ripening I'll check for a little embryo inside on a few of them before giving up hope. Of course I never expected any of these to be viable, but I was hopeful!

2DF99EEC-50BC-40BD-BBFC-4F5004610985.jpeg

2B4BBA4F-05B5-426E-9464-BB43D8352C39.jpeg

Edited by enigma99

CodyORB
15 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Not an expert here but one side of the nut was clear flesh. I'm guessing the endosperm. At this point there should be an embryo formed? Bummer, I guess once they start ripening I'll check for a little embryo inside on a few of them before giving up hope. Of course I never expected any of these to be viable, but I was hopeful!

I'm not an expert at hybridization, but I wonder what would happen if you pollinated the flowers with one of the 2 species (romanzoffiana or schizophylla).

enigma99
1 hour ago, CodyORB said:

I'm not an expert at hybridization, but I wonder what would happen if you pollinated the flowers with one of the 2 species (romanzoffiana or schizophylla).

Yeah that’s why I am hopeful. Romanzoffiana is always in bloom nearby so there is a very good chance this got cross pollinated

Ben in Norcal
5 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

Yeah that’s why I am hopeful. Romanzoffiana is always in bloom nearby so there is a very good chance this got cross pollinated

Derrick, all of the open sets on my Coco Queens have not been viable/no embryos when Patric and I cut them open.  The only hybrids we're getting are as a result of Patric's efforts, which have much lower seed sets but are producing viable plants.  Patric is now selling these.  I need to go outside and see what else he's got to set on my trees.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1