IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm ID help

PaddyM

Hi everyone - Happy Thanksgiving!
I’m staying near Clearwater FL for a week, and the house next to ours has these palms lining the fence. I thought they might be monster silver saw palmettos, but some things seem different. Some are quite tall (one has 10+ feet of vertical trunk), and many of them are developing second and third crowns on a single trunk (or maybe it’s seeds germinating on grooves of the trunk; can’t tell). But most trunks seem to be somewhat horizontal like I would expect for a saw palmetto.
Any guesses? Lots of seeds on the ground so considering taking some home. 

BE574449-DCDD-4950-9DE3-8D0617E8175A.jpeg

480644DD-95C7-4874-B558-CEA8246AB868.jpeg

C678C0F7-2BD5-4905-ABCD-253A4E1F24DB.jpeg

86E5C4DA-327F-40E0-8BD7-282B22D1BE24.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PaddyM said:

I’m staying near Clearwater FL for a week, and the house next to ours has these palms lining the fence. I thought they might be monster silver saw palmettos, but some things seem different. Some are quite tall (one has 10+ feet of vertical trunk), and many of them are developing second and third crowns on a single trunk (or maybe it’s seeds germinating on grooves of the trunk; can’t tell). But most trunks seem to be somewhat horizontal like I would expect for a saw palmetto.

Thinking Silver/ Blue form of Serenoa repens, Aka Saw Palmetto.. Nice find!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Thinking Silver/ Blue form of Serenoa repens, Aka Saw Palmetto.. Nice find!

I agree

3 hours ago, PaddyM said:

Lots of seeds on the ground so considering taking some home.

Yep, I see some black fruits which are very ripe with seeds ready to germinate!  The Serenoa repens around here are yielding ripe fruit now also.

Edited by Fusca

Jon Sunder

Yep, saw palmetto. If you're going to germinate the seeds, they have a "egg shell" covering them. The germinate a lot quicker if you squeeze the seed & crack & remove the shell.

• Upvote 1

On 11/25/2020 at 1:21 PM, PaddyM said:

Definitely silver Saw Palmetto.  Serenoa repens.   They are common here in the Tampa Bay area, and its not uncommon to see some tall up right ones like the one you found.  Very nice!