IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Christmas Palms by Pool?

cv2065

Hello from Orlando, FL everyone. I just had a pool constructed and it has a built in planter along the backside of the pool that spans the length of the pool, about 26 feet, and is roughly 3-4 feet wide. The planter has no concrete bottom and just goes into the ground.  I'd like to put some small 15 gallon Christmas Palms on both ends of the planter with various smaller plants throughout the middle areas like crotons for color, etc.  My pool builder says that would be no problem, and at the nursery where I'm buying the palm, they said no issues either, but thought I'd check with you folks anyway.

Edited by cv2065

Welcome to Palmtalk!

The thing you'll have to watch for is if it fruits you'll want to cut off the Infructescence when the seeds turn red because they'll stain concrete after they fall.

• Like 1

Working well for me so far. My planter is about the same depth. You should be good. And they don’t shed fibers like the ubiquitous small palm of central florida: P. Robellini. Good luck. 

084648FF-C429-494E-A80B-A84ED854D594.jpeg

• Like 2

I think these will work well for you.  The only thing to consider with these palms is that they are not cold hardy, and frost damages them.  if you are in Orlando, you are in a zone 9B.  If you have a good microclimate that takes you to 10A then you should be ok.    Orlando is inland, and subjected to more substantially more cold.   just something to keep in mind when attempting true tropical palms in colder zones.   

Cant wait to see what it looks like! 

Not a problem, they don't have very intrusive roots and are easy to clean the flower stalks before they fruit.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Thanks again everyone!  Brought them home today and will be getting them planted this afternoon. I typically place some black kow in the holes and then toil more with the soil on the top. What's the fertilizer regime for these palms?

5 hours ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

Working well for me so far. My planter is about the same depth. You should be good. And they don’t shed fibers like the ubiquitous small palm of central florida: P. Robellini. Good luck. 

084648FF-C429-494E-A80B-A84ED854D594.jpeg

Very tropical!!

6 minutes ago, cv2065 said:

Thanks again everyone!  Brought them home today and will be getting them planted this afternoon. I typically place some black kow in the holes and then toil more with the soil on the top. What's the fertilizer regime for these palms?

they really don't need anything. Mine are perfectly happy with zero fert.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

1 hour ago, cv2065 said:

I do twice per year with a light fistful of palmgain. If I forget, the new fronds tend to open a lighter shade of green. But like @redantsaid, they don’t need much, if anything. 

PS: we are all expecting pics once you’re finished. Good luck. Don't fall in (I might’ve taken an incidental dip when I planted mine)

@cv2065 Good luck with the planting and welcome to the Forums!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F