IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal minor germination ease

ShadyDan

Hey Folks,

Long time PT lurker first time poster. Thought I would share my experience with Sabal minor “Cherokee” germination. I bought ~1,000 of these seeds form RPS recently, and I am seeing ~99% germination within a month of sowing. And I though Washingtonias were easy to germinate!

Now I have to find home for all these babies in my greenhouse... I was hoping for a little more of a staggered germination! Looking forward to sharing with some friends in some colder Canadian locales (Okanagan, Niagara region) where they may be able to survive once they size up a little. 

2EC05846-3A07-4FAD-A570-DC97E0515543.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

@ShadyDan

Nice work and welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 hours ago, ShadyDan said:

Hey Folks,

Long time PT lurker first time poster. Thought I would share my experience with Sabal minor “Cherokee” germination. I bought ~1,000 of these seeds form RPS recently, and I am seeing ~99% germination within a month of sowing. And I though Washingtonias were easy to germinate!

Now I have to find home for all these babies in my greenhouse... I was hoping for a little more of a staggered germination! Looking forward to sharing with some friends in some colder Canadian locales (Okanagan, Niagara region) where they may be able to survive once they size up a little. 

2EC05846-3A07-4FAD-A570-DC97E0515543.jpeg

Welcome! Congratulations on a great germination rate. I really am impressed. Any time I have tried germinating S. minor seed, I have terrible germination rates. I have great success when I am not trying though. Just throwing them under mulch in a flower bed or in the soil in another potted plant during the summer always does the trick for me.

I hope they grow well for you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ben OK said:

Welcome! Congratulations on a great germination rate. I really am impressed. Any time I have tried germinating S. minor seed, I have terrible germination rates. I have great success when I am not trying though. Just throwing them under mulch in a flower bed or in the soil in another potted plant during the summer always does the trick for me.

I hope they grow well for you.

Thanks! Yea I think they were super fresh seeds.

I collected seed from a bunch of local windmill palms this spring and find babies popping up everywhere in my garden beds where I tossed seeds I thought were “no good”.  Also a species that germinates under heavy neglect apparently. 

Now if only my Jubaea and Butia seeds would hurry up and join the party...

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

48 minutes ago, ShadyDan said:

Thanks! Yea I think they were super fresh seeds.

I collected seed from a bunch of local windmill palms this spring and find babies popping up everywhere in my garden beds where I tossed seeds I thought were “no good”.  Also a species that germinates under heavy neglect apparently. 

For Jubaea, I've had pretty quick results (~40-60 days) by putting them in a gallon freezer bag with 3-4 inches of germination medium on the bottom before I put them in, filling the bag with germination medium, sealing the bag, setting on a heat pad, and cranking the heat on for about 4 hours per day.

There are no adult Jubaea in Florida, but if we ever get a few that can hack our heat, humidity, nematodes, and soil issues - I can confirm they can actively reproduce if they can seed.  I tossed out a few seeds in the middle of summer after I figured I had enough of them to experiment with indoors.  Well, back in the bone pile, they germinated like crazy during our 95F + rainy days over the summer.  So, a few folks got some free gifts. :D

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2020 at 10:30 PM, ShadyDan said:

I was watching this one guy on youtube his channel name is The Palmfather and he make a perssure cooker to germinate seeds that take 3 months-to a year germinate in a few weeks

• Upvote 1

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson