IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southernmost Palm in South America

Alex High

Hello palm lovers,

I was wondering where the southernmost palm on the South American continent is located. Not the southernmost native palm, just the southernmost grown palm. I was looking at different cities at the southern end of the continent on Google Maps, and the southernmost palms that I found were in the town of Comodoro Rivadavia, Argentina (I will put pictures and Google Maps links below). The palms that I found were mostly Phoenix canariensis and some of them are quite large, but I saw one T. fortunei. I was surprised by the number of palms in Comodoro Rivadavia, that far south on the continent. They are everywhere there. The arid climate must help. There must be other palms somewhere south of there in South America that I have yet to find. Do any of you know of any? Thanks!

PalmsUSA

Palm #1:

image.thumb.png.c39f2d82e23b6c59985be58d9e0e22e2.png

Palm #2:

image.thumb.png.2edbd62d78ea540e51422c71dac6972b.png

Palm #3:

image.thumb.png.18f2acd725ceca0ecefc0729747d4ba6.png

More palms:

image.thumb.png.e8589c0f00fad216fecc12a0ab34e8cf.png

And more palms:

image.thumb.png.881f1c4ef8ab27634b4ef18fcfa8c140.png

Another Phoenix canariensis:

image.thumb.png.7d5e90d0861d4ce0db995757beb47777.png

Trachycarpus fortunei:

image.thumb.png.496d34608f76a15ea656c1a423df3709.png

• Like 4

CIDP and especially trachycarpus would grow pretty well in Southern Argentina and Southern Chile, in fact southern Chile even more so perhaps due to a stronger oceanic influence.

Not wanting to divert the original subject but you can find CIDP and Trachycarpus, even Nikau Palms, growing in Invercargill at 46.45 S.

Would still be very interested to see others comments on South America as a continent specifically though, I bet there's some surprises in the deep south there.

Edited by sipalms
  • Like 2

Indeed, if Phoenix can be grown there this opens up a whole list of similarly hardy pinnate & palmate species! South America has so many great native species, I would be surprised if NOT there!Maybe some more googleEarth sleuthing is in order? LOL- never thought about using it for this purpose but splendid idea now that so many of us are tethered to home! Good job and thanks for the pictures.

E Fry

2 hours ago, sipalms said:

CIDP and especially trachycarpus would grow pretty well in Southern Argentina and Southern Chile, in fact southern Chile even more so perhaps due to a stronger oceanic influence.

Not wanting to divert the original subject but you can find CIDP and Trachycarpus, even Nikau Palms, growing in Invercargill at 46.45 S.

Would still be very interested to see others comments on South America as a continent specifically though, I bet there's some surprises in the deep south there.

Thanks for responding. I had no idea palms grew in Invercargill. That's awesome! I bet there are surprises too about what palms lie at the southern tip of South America. Take care!

PalmsUSA

16 minutes ago, palmnut-fry said:

Indeed, if Phoenix can be grown there this opens up a whole list of similarly hardy pinnate & palmate species! South America has so many great native species, I would be surprised if NOT there!Maybe some more googleEarth sleuthing is in order? LOL- never thought about using it for this purpose but splendid idea now that so many of us are tethered to home! Good job and thanks for the pictures.

E Fry

Ha! Agreed. You are most welcome for the pictures. They are just screenshots of Google Earth. I think some more Google Earth sleuthing is certainly needed to discover the true southernmost palm on the continent. Google Maps/Earth is so helpful when searching for palms because you can "visit' virtually every place on Earth, no pun intended. Thanks!

Edited by PalmsUSA

BIG UPDATE! I just discovered a thread about the southernmost Canary Island date palm in the world, and in it are mentioned several locations south of Comodoro Rivadavia! I went on Google Maps and searched for a while and found the locations of the palms mentioned. I will put the link to the thread below as well as the palms mentioned:

Phoenix canariensis in Caleta Olivia, south of Comodoro Rivadavia

J1F9vNYZbASxHdhwkXZyVLFlBW7CBEww7-1OZepLRxW4nYhO5fK4aUyd6N7BRB7w70yPJa9tqdlGMxtX53D7rv1miBtqPe5QyRRISgXcvH8MnEK93jAmpvT5IXGfDXDFtCpI_x5yr0s

Another P. canariensis in Caleta Olivia

kABvJ0wsvzyZMd-VFSWkxQF1NvqxB5dsL6i-LNNUod3XarDZdXIEkBJAOLTFWKB-hYIaKJrptfPeVaFDX9iEdM3NEsFDsvbAYdXlerLMh2hZF5PsWAL40lxxoaVf2M6EHIRqusx7hOk

Two tiny P. canariensis in Puerto Deseado, south of Caleta Olivia. Certainly two of the southernmost palms on the continent, and in the world

ufQ-MHJnRyQfkmy2KvVOX6F2AQYJnM8bz_tOegEqHq1E4H911hXkGdc3USJM7kZOBB3mjaaTbTaQGmPmq_4bmExZcWUaXhWY7KIQlmOP857NyAiOVA60mkzmnEDPGxqaj3bgKsfSUuA

Plus a bonus T. fortunei I found in Caleta Olivia!

SCl7Tnvz8BhgEdlFhzyGkMDCDJRl6AVUkeXopahhe2byGDc3a1cN4jX6lq0DYNF_MJrkTNCc3Q8tqY2tYZ7KKm9xMfqxlut2L0Fz-oMOk0871kia3H9hPWutSoqB3wHg0SnlJqdJLTc

Edited by PalmsUSA
  • Like 2

Hey everyone,

I have been prowling around on Google Maps some more and, though it is not a palm, I found this lonesome looking cycad outside a hotel in the small village of  Villa Puerto Edén, Chile, south of any palm I have seen so far in South America:

image.png.f37ee837b3b60d386dced45d9e2eb4cb.png

image.png.6b9583657afc64843360a2ca5b1764a0.png

image.png.e6e8d040fe705181078fc16f55f4e2b1.png

image.png.d71e86de16cf8ec9feea3898681ecbfd.png

Edited by PalmsUSA
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2020 at 5:26 PM, PalmsUSA said:

Ha! Agreed. You are most welcome for the pictures. They are just screenshots of Google Earth. I think some more Google Earth sleuthing is certainly needed to discover the true southernmost palm on the continent. Google Maps/Earth is so helpful when searching for palms because you can "visit' virtually every place on Earth, no pun intended. Thanks!

Maybe there's a few Trachys and needles in tiera del fuego.

Nothing to say here. 

7 minutes ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

Maybe there's a few Trachys and needles in tiera del fuego.

Yeah they could probably survive in a few locations there. Go search for them on Google Maps, that is what I did to find the palms I found. We need a thorough search of the southern end of the continent for the true southernmost palm in South America. Thank you and take care!

PalmsUSA

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PalmsUSA said:

Yeah they could probably survive in a few locations there. Go search for them on Google Maps, that is what I did to find the palms I found. We need a thorough search of the southern end of the continent for the true southernmost palm in South America. Thank you and take care!

PalmsUSA

Ok, I'll try to search them but it'll be difficult in the major cities.

Nothing to say here. 

37 minutes ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

Ok, I'll try to search them but it'll be difficult in the major cities.

Yeah, that is true, but there is Street View practically everywhere. Thanks and take care!

1 minute ago, PalmsUSA said:

Yeah, that is true, but there is Street View practically everywhere. Thanks and take care!

Ok. Move to Tryon if you're moving near Asheville, their in zone 8.

Nothing to say here. 

29 minutes ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

Ok. Move to Tryon if you're moving near Asheville, their in zone 8.

What? I am not moving near Asheville, but I will be visiting there soon. Thanks!

2 hours ago, PalmsUSA said:

What? I am not moving near Asheville, but I will be visiting there soon. Thanks!

Oh, sorry, I was talking to Mr samurai sword.

Nothing to say here. 

11 hours ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

Oh, sorry, I was talking to Mr samurai sword.

No problem! Thanks and have a good one!

PalmsUSA

On 12/2/2020 at 4:00 PM, PalmsUSA said:

Hey everyone,

I have been prowling around on Google Maps some more and, though it is not a palm, I found this lonesome looking cycad outside a hotel in the small village of  Villa Puerto Edén, Chile, south of any palm I have seen so far in South America:

image.png.f37ee837b3b60d386dced45d9e2eb4cb.png

image.png.6b9583657afc64843360a2ca5b1764a0.png

image.png.e6e8d040fe705181078fc16f55f4e2b1.png

image.png.d71e86de16cf8ec9feea3898681ecbfd.png

This may be a fern (probably a Blechnum sp.) 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Yort said:

This may be a fern (probably a Blechnum sp.) 

Yes I was thinking about that, the two can be quite hard to tell apart sometimes. I think you may be right. The only reason that made me say cycad were the stiff upright fronds but I think you are right. Thank you!

PalmsUSA

• 9 months later...