IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Need help saving this palm!

Mikeyradz

I just recently moved to a new place with this hardy palm. It doesn't seem to be doing to well and I am not sure where to even start. I have been making sure its watered, but I have a feeling the previous tenants completely neglected it. I live in Santa Cruz, California, so relatively moderate climate, with out freezing temperatures. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

PXL_20201112_202515343.jpg

PXL_20201112_202523286.jpg

PXL_20201113_210040982.jpg

PXL_20201113_210008204.jpg

@Mikeyradz

In addition to echoing the great advice above, welcome to the forums.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Even though your banana plant has flowered and the pseudostem is dying, look for new growth at or around it's base.  A baby banana "pup" should emerge in time (if it hasn't already) and your banana will regrow back as a whole new plant.  

Edited by The7thLegend

you should write this in the other than palms tropical section

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

As said above, it should begin to grow a pup at the base. The basjoo's around here start growing several pups way before flowering. Although, banana plants dont usually flower here and are usually killed during winter. The good thing with basjoos is they are root hardy, so even if the plant dies due to cold, you will likely see it shoot back up the next spring. Your area doesnt see many issues with cold, so you should probably see growth year round, although may slow down during the darker winter months. Im not familiar with bananas, but this is what i would expect.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

That might be E.Ventricosum judging by the red mid-ribs in the 

leaves....if so you probably won't see a baby and the plant is 

finished with its life cycle after blooming.