IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

seed variability

guenver

allow me to submit a photo of butia yatay seeds
you will find that I have much smaller seeds than the others I took care to separate.

My question has to do with the variability in seed sizes of the same species
Is it normal to have such variations?
or is it possible that the smaller seeds are from hybridization with butia of a different species?

IMG_2451.JPG

I see alot of variation in Sabals and Chamaerops. I planted the undersized Chamaerops seeds and the germ rate is lower for sure and it took a few extra weeks to see sprouts. . They're still tiny but they seem different.  

I think it may be a good way to discover new traits, still a hypothesis. With cacti most of the albinos and variegated plants come from hybrids I believe and so it maybe a good thing.

Every batch of Pindos I have received have varying sized seeds.  Most have two seeds inside. Some have only one and even less have three. I could not get sprouts from the ones I opened FWIW bugs love them and they get knicked

Catarinensis and Odorate btw or whatever the real name for a Pindo is (Capitata?) have much different looking seeds than that.

Fruit still on?

Edited by DallasPalms